Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 10-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default Google Rolls Out IMAP For GMail

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/...d-gmail-fall-i/

"It's absolutely no secret that Google has a few humble fans of their email service, whose prayers have finally been answered. G's giving its users free -- yes, free -- IMAP access to their inboxes; great for desktop users, sure, but the people most likely to benefit from this development are those on mobile email clients (especially those unable to use the Java Gmail app)."

While I'm not a big email user, I can imagine a lot of mobile GMail users will be over the moon about this - no more triaging your email twice! If you're a GMail user and you've looked at enabling IMAP, have patience. Google is rolling out the service starting with US accounts, and the whole exercise should be complete in a few days. Any GMail users out there want to share their experiences with this?

Old 10-25-2007, 11:42 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

I honestly don't get this. Gmail has a quirky but cool implementation of POP3. When you download it to your PC or PPC and "delete" it from the site, it simply gets marked read and archived, not purged like other POP3 services.

To me, it has the advantages of IMAP (marking read, server archiving) but not the disadvantages (new PST in Outlook required, PPC implmentation of IMAP lacking anyway)

Old 10-25-2007, 01:53 PM
Dyvim
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
I honestly don't get this.
I guess it depends on your usage scenario. If you're someone who needs to move your email around between different folders, this can be a godsend.

Also, if GMail implements the IDLE protocol, that will enable push GMail e-mail on your mobile device (assuming your device also handles the IDLE protocol correctly).

Old 10-25-2007, 03:15 PM
tendomentis
Pupil

I'm still waiting for Google to add IMAP to my google domain email. I just had to hard reset my device and when I configure my SEVEN push mail client, I want to set it up to use the new IMAP service.

Come ON Google.....I've chewed my fingernails down to my elbows already waiting.....

Old 10-25-2007, 04:09 PM
gregh
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to gregh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
I honestly don't get this.
ed,

the advantage for me is that email is kept on the server, and it reflects what you do from any device. So if I read an email on my PDA, when I access Gmail from either the web or my desktop PC it shows that email as read, something POP cannot do.

Cheers,

Greg

Old 10-25-2007, 04:29 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

It works for me. I'm unable to star/flag any messages on my device, though - the option just isn't there in Inbox. I'm running AT&T's leaked WM6 on a Treo 750.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:28 PM
T-Will
Sage

FYI...

Quote:
Why don't I have IMAP in my account?

We're working hard to roll out IMAP access to all our users, but it'll take about a week.

To use IMAP, you must have your interface language set to 'English (US)'. You'll know that IMAP is available in your account when the Forwarding and POP tab in your settings becomes Forwarding and POP/IMAP.

Until then, thanks for your patience!
I remember all the trouble I had with Gmail POP on my Dash so I'm hesitant to try IMAP. With POP (if I remember correctly), it would download the messages, then delete them from the device on the next sync, and I think it was deleting messages from my Gmail Inbox also.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

Works great so far. Except for some messages, the body of the message doesn't come down.
The pop implementation sucked for windows mobile because once it was popped down it then vanished from the inbox on the next sync. Plus it would then never download to your PC at home either because it had already been flagged as popped.

So far imap is awsome!

Old 10-25-2007, 08:02 PM
T-Will
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lee
Works great so far. Except for some messages, the body of the message doesn't come down.
The pop implementation sucked for windows mobile because once it was popped down it then vanished from the inbox on the next sync. Plus it would then never download to your PC at home either because it had already been flagged as popped.

So far imap is awsome!
Good to hear, maybe I'll give it a shot.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:34 AM
Joelacrane
Thinker

I didn't even know what IMAP was until today. Gmail is the bomb BTW...