Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 10-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Cell Phone Use Coming To Flights In Europe

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7050576.stm

"Passengers could soon be using their mobile phones on planes flying through European airspace. Plans have been developed across EU countries to introduce technology which permits mobile calls without risk of interference with aircraft systems."

A few weeks ago, we reported that cell phone usage on US flights would not be permitted. I am thankful I don't have that to look forward to here in the US. My condolences to my European friends.

Old 10-19-2007, 04:37 PM
SteveHoward999
Pontificator

Europeans don't want loud Americans using phones on planes either ... ;-)

Old 10-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

I'd be really interested to hear what our European community members think of this... 8O

Old 10-19-2007, 06:56 PM
daS
Thinker

Quote:
"Plans have been developed across EU countries to introduce technology which permits mobile calls without risk of interference with aircraft systems."...

"Research published in 2003 by the CAA found mobile phone signals skewed navigation bearing displays by up to five degrees."
I would like to read the details on this. Navigation for commercial aircraft should all be digital now and even the combined signals of 100 mobile phones should not be able to offset the bearing.

In the USA, the issue of cellular phone use in aircraft had as much to do with the disruption of the cellular network caused by having a phone active in a location above and equidistant to many cell sites which is also moving from site to site at 600 MPH.

Having a pico-cell on the plane will reduce the signal strength from each of the on-board phones so they don't hit the ground-based cells. That's good for the network and also as a bonus would increase the battery life for the phones.

Of course, all of the above addresses the technical advantages to the proposed "technology". It says nothing about the fact that I don't think phone usage on an aircraft is a socially acceptable activity. :roll:

Old 10-19-2007, 07:40 PM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

And how much that plane roaming will cost to a traveler? I bet enough to discourage anyone from using it.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:07 PM
daS
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by virain
And how much that plane roaming will cost to a traveler? I bet enough to discourage anyone from using it.
I worry about the worst offenders: teenage girls yapping about nothing for the whole flight without realizing (or caring) that their parents will see a huge bill at the end of the month. 8O

Old 10-20-2007, 05:09 AM
kdarling
Pupil

What's astonishing, is how many non-pilots think aircraft use the latest navigation and communication equipment. In fact, many aircraft still use decade old radios, and few airliners use GPS... it's not considered reliable enough... they use inertial navigation instead.

As for phone interference, there have been plenty of pilot reports. Do you think the GSM buzz hurts your ears at home? Try listening to Air Traffic Control when some selfish person in the back has their phone going.

It is NOT the same as being around cell towers. Phones INSIDE a metal tube are quite a different thing.

All that said, the very latest (year old) airliners could have been shielded well enough, and have new avionics, and be able to handle the phones.

What can't handle the phones, will be the passengers. Cannot you foresee air rage on a scale never seen before? Wow.

Kev
engineer, pilot