Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 10-17-2007, 05:02 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default IM+ Giveaway: Win 1 of 10 Copies!

http://shapeservices.com/en/product...m&platform=none

Shape Services, the company behind one of the best Instant Messaging applications on the market, IM+, has graciously decided to offer 10 Thoughts Readers a free copy of IM+! The contest, ridiculously easy to enter and win, only requires you to take a few moments to answer the following question:

What is the single most important factor that influences your decision to purchase software for your Pocket PC?

Simply post your answer in this thread by 5 PM TST (Thoughts Standard Time, a.k.a. Mountain Daylight Time) on 10/24/2007! After all the results are in, 10 lucky readers who have answered the question will be selected randomly to win the prize.

If you're not familiar with IM+, I'd encourage you to take a look. I've played around with other IM products but have been most impressed recently with IM+, owning a copy myself, and using it whenever I have to IM somebody via my Pocket PC. It certainly is less expensive than the SMS-IM solutions found with some providers, unless you already have unlimited texts.

Good luck!!!

Old 10-17-2007, 05:18 PM
code-frog
Intellectual
Default Knowing About It...

I think for me the biggest factor is knowing about it. There is *so* much great software out there, prices are so reasonable. The only obstacle is that I really don't know about what *is* out there.

I take every chance I can get to learn about new products and for me that's the biggest factor. Once I know about it I can then decide if it fits my needs or not.

I know that seems like a stupid answer but there's not a good, comprehensive list of all the major titles out there by application category. If there was I'd own more software as it would be easier for me to browse and find what I need. In a lot of cases I see a product online somewhere and realize immediately that it meets a need I wasn't aware I had until I actually saw the product.

If someone could organize a comprehensive list that was well organized and sortable by vendor, application (business, finance, contacts, dialers, games, expenses, etc...), price, device, popularity, etc... it would greatly benefit all software vendors.

- Rex

Old 10-17-2007, 05:19 PM
silver99
Ponderer

The biggest factor for me to purchase software for my Pocket PC would be:

Can I communicate with other users with the software?

Old 10-17-2007, 05:25 PM
dannyoneill
Ponderer

most important factor: That its well designed and tested. If the interface isnt using the standard windows mobile dialogs, buttons etc I dont touch it. Why change it? Its a whole new thing to learn and get used to. Leave it alone I say.

Also make sure its tested and intuative. A few programs have been translated from their writers native language but only ran through a translator, get a native speaker to check it over.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:38 PM
nitestrike
Intellectual

I have to say I agree with all of the posts so far.

But my single biggest item that factors into if I buy it is if I'm able to try it out. If I can't give it a spin on the devices I have then it is a no go for me. It is no where near the norm with PocketPC/Windows Mobile software, but lately I have had this show up a few times and not even given the app a second thought.

EDIT
I want to make sure that it fits my needs and that my device performs as needed with it on there.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:42 PM
sub_tex
Theorist

For me it's answering "yes" to the question "does this give me something/functionality that I *really* need, and is it priced reasonably.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:44 PM
Peter Traugot
Ponderer

The single most important factor that influences my decision to purchase software for my Pocket PC is the convenience of portability. Although I have a stand-alone Pocket PC (No integrated phone), I find that by tethering to my Blue tooth phone, along with the WIFI capabilities of my device, I have all of the essential connectivity I need.

Having software on my Pocket PC that enables me to exploit this connectivity is not only convenient, but frees me to do a significant amount of work outside of the office. Living in the Bay Area (SF), that is a great perk!

Since many of my colleagues live and work in Europe and the Ukraine, IM is THE definitive communication method. With my PDA, that means I can work anywhere!

Old 10-17-2007, 05:45 PM
starstreak
Ponderer

Single most important reason to purchase software?

To get something I can use on my pocketpc that I couldn't get any other way. Not to mention, everybody deserves to get paid for something that sell.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:47 PM
burtcom
Intellectual

Quite simply, does the software do something I need better than any other software?

Old 10-17-2007, 05:50 PM
klanum
Ponderer

What is the single most important factor that influences your decision to purchase software for your Pocket PC?

First is the ability to trial and followed very, very closely with reviews of people talking about their experience/uses of the software in their daily lives.