Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 10-10-2007, 09:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default AT&T Upgrading 3G/HSDPA Upload Speeds

http://www.reuters.com/article/reut...520685320070925

"AT&T Inc. plans to announce in coming weeks that it has upgraded its mobile network to let customers send photos or video from their phones to the Internet up to six times faster than before, a top mobile executive said on Monday. Richard Burns, president of AT&T's wireless network services, also said in an interview that the company expects to carry out most of its planned 2007 high-speed wireless upgrades in October and November."

I love how they word this. "Faster photos or video." :roll: That said, I'm guessing this highly optimistically-worded article means that AT&T's HSDPA rollout is progressing, and more users should be able to enjoy the corresponding 500-800kbps upload performance. What do PPCT readers think? Are you happy with AT&T HSDPA footprint's growth and speeds? Last I checked, the coverage in the NYC metro area was only in Manhattan and parts of the surrounding boroughs, which is barely enough.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Rod3
Intellectual

It is absolutely never in my lifetime coming to me. I live in SC, and we will always be out of the loop. That being said, EDGE works really rather well here, and AT&T is the only carrier that can reach to my house. So, I'm not unhappy with them, although I wish I could have 3G one of these days. Not gonna happen. :cry:

Old 10-10-2007, 10:30 PM
PDADoc
Pupil

While it sounds great on paper, I guess being a New Yorker, I'll believe it when I see/experience it.

I must admit, though, I'm constantly in and around the NY/NJ/CT area, and with few exceptions I'm consistently getting around 540mbps download speeds. The upload boost will be welcome, though, especially since sometimes I need to upload a PowerPoint presentation to someone before I speak at a medical conference.

Now, where are all these HSUPA devices that we'll need to take proper advantage of it all??? :wink:

Old 10-10-2007, 11:25 PM
Mark Larson
Theorist

So they're finally catching up with EV-DO Rev A speeds (3.1/600), but Rev A devices (modems) have been out for ages now. I'm guessing HSUPA phones are a long ways off. :lol:

Old 10-11-2007, 12:17 AM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Larson
So they're finally catching up with EV-DO Rev A speeds (3.1/600), but Rev A devices (modems) have been out for ages now. I'm guessing HSUPA phones are a long ways off. :lol:
Most HSDPA phone do or can support HSUPA. It is the exact same radio.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:45 AM
compboss17
Pupil

Quote:
So they're finally catching up with EV-DO Rev A speeds (3.1/600), but Rev A devices (modems have been out for ages now. I'm guessing HSUPA phones are a long ways off. :lol:
So? HSDPA has been around longer and has 4x the speed of Rev A where it counts: Download. Besides, how many of your Rev A. phones can do simultaneous voice and data? Oh that's right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lee
Quote:
Most HSDPA phone do or can support HSUPA. It is the exact same radio.
That's not true

Old 10-11-2007, 09:40 AM
Cybrid
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by compboss17

So? HSDPA has been around longer and has 4x the speed of Rev A where it counts: Download. Besides, how many of your Rev A. phones can do simultaneous voice and data? Oh that's right...
EVDO Rev-B So uh...yeah...

Quote:
That's not true
High Speed Downlink Packet Access and High Speed Uplink Packet Access are sisters in HSPA.
After which the GSM roadmap progresses to WCDMA=EVDO Rev C. Or atleast that's what I've understood.
Feel free to correct me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybrid
Rev B is a software upgrade. Low-cost Upgrade
EV-DO Rev A base station channel cards can be easily upgraded to Rev B, thereby protecting an operator�s Rev A hardware investment. In some cases, the entire upgrade to Rev B can be achieved without adding any new hardware. Rev C is not.

So is HSDPA. HSDPA can be implemented mostly as a software upgrade in UMTS networks, though some hardware might be required in other cases. �It impacts the channel card, base station and base station controller, so it depends on the UMTS platform the carrier has deployed,� Leonard said, adding that Lucent could upgrade its own UMTS equipment to HSDPA completely through software enhancements. The technology also requires HSDPA-enabled handsets.
W-CDMA LTE is not.

Both will require new handsets.

Rev B is capable of 14.7Mbps?

Source here

Old 10-11-2007, 10:11 AM
compboss17
Pupil

Quote:
Quote:

EVDO Rev-B So uh...yeah...

Quote:
That's not true
High Speed Downlink Packet Access and High Speed Uplink Packet Access are sisters in HSPA.
After which the GSM roadmap progresses to WCDMA=EVDO Rev C. Or atleast that's what I've understood.
Feel free to correct me.

Quote:
Rev B is a software upgrade. Low-cost Upgrade
EV-DO Rev A base station channel cards can be easily upgraded to Rev B, thereby protecting an operator�s Rev A hardware investment. In some cases, the entire upgrade to Rev B can be achieved without adding any new hardware. Rev C is not.

So is HSDPA. HSDPA can be implemented mostly as a software upgrade in UMTS networks, though some hardware might be required in other cases. �It impacts the channel card, base station and base station controller, so it depends on the UMTS platform the carrier has deployed,� Leonard said, adding that Lucent could upgrade its own UMTS equipment to HSDPA completely through software enhancements. The technology also requires HSDPA-enabled handsets.
W-CDMA LTE is not.

Both will require new handsets.

Rev B is capable of 14.7Mbps?
Rev B isn't even close to being out yet...

HSPA can be implemented as a soft upgrade to the towers but the handsets require new chips for the most part.

I'm not sure why you brought Rev. C or LTE into this. That's not even close to what this conversation is about.

And after HSPA the next step is 4G which is LTE.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Cybrid
Pontificator

Quote:

Rev B is even close to being out yet...

HSPA can be implemented as a soft upgrade to the towers but the handsets require new chips for the most part.
Didja miss the part where Rev B is also a software upgrade?

Old 10-11-2007, 10:23 AM
compboss17
Pupil

Quote:
Quote:

Rev B is even close to being out yet...

Didja miss the part where Rev B is also a software upgrade?
No I didn't [miss it], but thanks for pointing that out [again].