Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 10-04-2007, 05:49 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default AT&T Tilt Quick Look Video Unboxing and Basic Setup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HZ6UzVr6LQ

Late yesterday afternoon I was sent an AT&T Tilt, and I put together an unboxing and basic setup video. Here it is...(warning: the audio level is quite high because I was close to the video camera microphone, so you may want to turn down your volume level a bit ;-)).

Hopefully tomorrow I'll do a video of the features - any requests for what you'd like me to cover?

Old 10-04-2007, 06:31 AM
B
Pupil
Default Thanks for the unboxing

Very cool - I'm in desperate need of a new phone and have been waiting for something like this for a couple months now. My only questions...

Where is the Glofiish X800? Will it be making a US debut anytime soon?

If not I will probably be getting this, but I soooo wanted VGA.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:11 AM
Hosidax
Pupil

Thanks Jason,

I have the 8525 and love it but I'm considering upgrading (for the gps...)

One question though; what happend to the headphones? The Hermes came with them and I hacked 'em up to get audio out through the micro usb jack into my car. Does the Tilt have the same funky audio out (in the usb port)?

Old 10-04-2007, 07:59 AM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

No front camera? I guess ATT has to figure out how to charge us for video calls first :devilboy:

Old 10-04-2007, 08:10 AM
rzanology
Sage

i got a request for ya jason....can you look over the im app it comes with? i suspect its that madness that works via sms. Not that it bothers me, as i have unlimited text any way. but im curious as to how well it works in terms of speed and delivery of the im message itself.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:46 PM
PdaAddict
Ponderer
Default Is this really a worthy upgrade?

And the reason anyone with ATT 8525 would upgrade and extend their contract or get stuck with a 2 year contract is..... ????? More Ram or tilt??
8525 is a great phone. I am using HTC Mogul now (just because of chip data on sprint) and I am not that thrilled with the battery and overall performance of the coveted Qualcomm dual core chipset.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed Jason Dunn
I'm gonna put in the SIM, careful not to let you see who it is because I don't wanna give my carrier, who charges me way too much for data, any free advertising - [I] don't really like them very much.
With that kind of endorsement, I doubt they'd consider it advertising :mrgreen:

Nice video. Pretty sad that AT&T went cheapo with the packaging - the TyTN II packaging made me feel special (Of course I'm sure some of our US readers will argue that saving $300+ from the price of a TyTN II to the Tilt will make them feel special as well!)

Old 10-04-2007, 08:49 PM
CrashX
Ponderer
Default Re: AT&T Tilt Quick Look Video Unboxing and Basic Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
any requests for what you'd like me to cover?
Yes, the GPS please! Specifically, does the GPS require the use of TeleNav, or can I load any GPS capable software without having to pay AT&T the monthly subscription fee?

As a side note, I'm really torn about which carrier I'll use. I'm on T-Mobile right now and have a very inexpensive unlimited data plan without a contract. So, I can buy an unlocked Tytn II at a hefty premium with all of the features that HTC saw fit to include and maintain my carrier (EDGE speeds), or I can purchase a much cheaper subsidized device from AT&T, with some features removed/disabled, at a higher monthly cost with much faster data speeds.

Decisions, decisions...

Old 10-04-2007, 11:07 PM
pmgibson
Ponderer
Default Re: AT&T Tilt Quick Look Video Unboxing and Basic Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
- any requests for what you'd like me to cover?
I'd be interested in knowing the differences between the AT&T version and the HTC version.

What has AT&T disabled/removed? What has AT&T added?

I'm currently in a 2 year contract until 2/2008 - so whichever one I get I'll pay a steep price for - so the decision for me comes down to features.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:57 AM
Underwater Mike
Thinker

Ditto on the two posters above: GPS functionality and crippling. I will NEVER pay a carrier to use GPS built into a device.

Also, any notes on what kind of extra crap they put in there that took so long to customize, and can it be removed?