Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 09-24-2007, 02:39 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Share Your MVT: Most Valuable Tip!

I remember how nervous I was the first time I hard-reset my device. How would I get it back to the way it was? Wasn't this a big mistake? Would the ROM upgrade work? A flood of thoughts came over me as I nervously did the ROM flash on that T-Mobile Pocket PC. As I re-calibrated the screen and moved the obligatory doctors appointment, I realized something: If this had happened to me on the road, or on vacation, I would be really messed up - not knowing how to re-setup my device, re-install my programs, restore my data! Thankfully, my upgrade went without a hitch, and I leared my most valuable tip when it comes to Mobile Devices: Play with them when you have the time to learn, and then if disaster strikes (dead device, weird errors, etc..), you'll know how to bounce back - and hey, you learn about all the cool stuff you can do beyond what's written on the box!.

I can't tell you how many times I've thanked myself for not being squemish about resetting, upgrading, flashing, uninstalling, re-installing, backing up, restoring, tweaking registry keys, etc.. - and it's all because I took the time to really learn about my device before I was forced to.

That's my Most Valuable Tip to people when they first start using a Windows Mobile device - play with it's features, learn about it, check out every setting, etc..! Other tips I have are fairly simple and less lofty, such as "backup your memory card every so often" and "Check for updated software before re-installing old saved copies". From large thoughts to small tweaks, valuable tips come in all sizes (Heck, our friends at Smartphone & Pocket PC Magazine have a whole report on 101 tips!)

So why not spend your Monday contributing your favorite tip to this thread? Tell us what the tip is, and (if not self-evident), why you rely on it so much. If you are at a loss for picking a "most valuable", then give us your top competitors (I won't complain if you contribute 2 or 3 tips)!

Old 09-24-2007, 02:57 PM
rookcnu
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to rookcnu Send a message via Skype™ to rookcnu

Gosh,... my top tip would be to install a couple of "gotta have's".

For example - I gotta have Smartskey installed for one handed operation without the stylus. This small (and free) add on has made my mobile experience unbelievable.

Then of course, there is TCPMP. Do I need to explain?

Then of course, some kind of back up software (Spb or Sprite) that is set to back up my PPC phone and mini sd card regularly.

Everything else is gravy IMO.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:47 PM
burtcom
Intellectual

First thing I do when I unbox a new phone, PDA, ipod, whatever is INSTALL A SCREEN PROTECTOR.

I hate a scratched-up screen -- plus what kind of resale value will your device have if the screen is messed up?

Old 09-24-2007, 06:56 PM
psyjohn
Ponderer

I have several MVT's.

First of all.... backup backup backup. I rely heavily (more than I like to admit) on my PPC for all aspects of my professional and personal life, and regular backups have saved me several times.

Second, export settings for any software that has that option. Restoring a backup is great, but if you can import settings after that it saves a lot of headaches.

Third, install a better file explorer (I love Resco), and some software to help optimize your device (MemMaid is my favorite). These two apps really help keep a PPC running efficiently.

Last, a tip I picked up somewhere online a few years ago. To set the storage memory and program memory add up the total amount free in both categories, divide that total by 6 and set the storage memory slightly above that number. This frees up the most memory for program applications without the device resetting to an even balance without you knowing it. (don't know if this applies to WM5 and later)

I would also second Jon's advice to get to know how to handle the worst when you have time. That saved my butt when my device crashed while I was at a conference recently; everything was backed up on my laptop and I was up and running again in no time.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:27 PM
signs
Pupil

Do Everything By the Book:
When your are installing new programs or hardware, flashing new roms, setting up connections; read all those small readme files and instructions that come along with it. follow them to the T, and your life would be much easier. You will certainly have minimized your percentages of getting in to trouble. Ask me I may be square, but i am patient and a really Happy Camper....

Old 09-24-2007, 08:16 PM
Rod3
Intellectual

I do three things immediately: install Sprite Backup, install Resco Explorer, and install Pocket Informant. After that, I give a huge sigh of relief and motor on.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:23 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

This is more of an organizational scheme than a tip, but I map Spb Pocket Plus' Close Menu to the press and hold function of the OK button on my Treo 750. I have the x set to close by default and the OK button set to minimize. If I'm done with a program, I x it; if not, I hit the OK button and minimize it. Then I just press and hold the OK button to see if there's anything more I have to do in the next while.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:33 PM
smartphoneIT
Neophyte
Default MVT: Alternate two SD cards to backup your mobile device

I agree with others who said to backup your device with software like Sprite backup. Resyncing to the notebook is not convenient or reliable.

I go a step further and alternately switch micro sd cards for each backup. That way if I lose my Mogul and/or the SD card in it, I just need to take the SD card stored in my wallet out and restore all data and settings without worrying about having my notebook computer handy for a resync.

Gotta love technology which makes up for the fading memory and brain cells!
===============================================
Palm Pilot 1000-->Palm Pilot Personal-->Palm IIIxe-->Kyocera 6035-->
Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Verizon 6700-->Sprint Mogul 6800 (still use the last three)

Old 09-24-2007, 09:37 PM
Mikey
Ponderer

John,

If you're syncing daily to Outlook 2002, what happens when you back up to some other software? I've had to hard reset several devices & every time the problem is the settings within the programs such as Pocket Informant don't hold. I use a lot of categories in Outlook & on Pocket Informant I set colors to those categories so I can quickly see what my day consisted of.

Problem is when I have to hard reset, the program is gone, as are any settings I had changed on those programs. Is there some way to resolve this? I installed the programs to the ROM on my Axim x50v but they did not survive a hard reset. I also use Laridian Pocket Bible3, Pocket Quicken 2.5, ListPro Professional, & E-Wallet.

Any clarification re: me being able to save those settings inside those programs would be much appreciated. Last, What back-up program do you recommend & why?

Old 09-25-2007, 12:06 AM
Barry_Rau
Pupil
Default My Gottas

-I always keep cab files for my must have apps on my storage card with a mirror on my laptop.
-I always try to do periodic backups (even if there have been no major changes)
-I always do a full backup before I install any new software on my device in case of problems (very important if you install beta software)

Cheers
Barry