Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 09-19-2007, 12:10 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Sony Ericsson Preparing Windows Mobile Phones for 2008?

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20070919PB202.html

"High Tech Computer (HTC) reportedly has landed ODM orders for Windows Mobile-based smartphones from Sony Ericsson, which will market the new smartphone in the second half of 2008, according to a Chinese-language Commercial Times report. Volume shipments of the smartphone � Sony Ericsson's first Windows Mobile-based smartphone and HTC's first ODM orders from a first-tier handset vendor � are expected to top over one million units and to account for 10-20% of HTC's total shipments projected for 2008, said the paper."

We're going to take this with a grain of salt. But if true, it'll be a fresh change for the UIQ-focused Sony Ericsson, not to mention a huge score for HTC. Sony Ericsson and Windows Mobile? Let us know what you think.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:13 PM
srmz
Ponderer

Just wondering when will Nokia order a WM phone from HTC -- LOL

But jokes aside WM is the true operating system leaving others behind by a margin

Regards

Old 09-19-2007, 03:43 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

This could be cool.. Sony Ericsson has always had some pretty cool devices.. Just a totally worthless OS.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:44 PM
Yata
Pupil

Why would Sony Ericsson use an ODM for manufacturing? Have they ever done this in the past?

Old 09-19-2007, 05:47 PM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

Strange, SE makes very good hardware. Why would they order one from HTC? I had SE P900 and it was much more advenced than WM phones for that time. It just doesn't sound right. If SE wanted to make WM phone, they have their own capabilities to do that.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:58 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yata
Why would Sony Ericsson use an ODM for manufacturing? Have they ever done this in the past?
Do you mean as in a design partner or as a manufacturer? For the latter, all the time - the manufacturing of most SE handsets is outsourced (Quanta mostly IIRC). The real significance of this news is really the inclusion of Windows Mobile, rather than who actually assembles the devices.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:57 AM
Yorch
Ponderer

I would love to see a Windows Mobile CLIE!. One thing that I loved about those machines were the screen, never washed off with direct sunlight.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:58 AM
mightymission
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to mightymission

As a longtime T-Mobile subscriber going back to their VoiceStream days I miss having a SE handset or two in their lineup. The last one was the T610 which I still use on occasion to this day - solid build with good UI and great call/RF quality.

Would be cool to see a SE WM Pro with say a 2.0 mega pix cam/vid and a nice hi-res screen........suh-weeeeeeeeeeet 8)

Old 09-20-2007, 03:03 PM
emuelle1
Thinker

My last two phones have been SonyEricsson, a z500a and a z525a, respectively. I just bought an HTC Wizard (Cingular 8125), but the wrong battery was in the box and I've waited several days for the correct battery to arrive. All that aside, I've been happy with the SonyEricsson phones I've had. They have good battery life and what they do, they do well. HTC from what I understand makes a good platform. Windows Mobile, we all know, does a good job. The only variable is what tweaks SonyEricsson would make to Windows Mobile, what OEM and 3rd party utilities they would include, and what kind of support could be expected, like a free upgrade to Windows Mobile 7 when it is eventually released.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:00 PM
Mark Larson
Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lee
This could be cool.. Sony Ericsson has always had some pretty cool devices.. Just a totally worthless OS.
8O 8O 8O Sony Ericsson makes the best dumbphone OS in the business. Far better than Windows Mobile in terms of user-friendliness and slickness too.