Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 09-07-2007, 12:20 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default HP iPAQ 600 Business Navigator

http://tinyurl.com/34qprp

[click image above for high-resolution photo]

Sweet mother of handhelds! HP pulled out all the stops with the iPAQ 600 series, a Windows Mobile Professional smartphone. For connectivity, it features quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE, tri-band HSPDA, 802.11 b/g WiFi, and Bluetooth 2.0 with EDR, and integrated GPS navigation. It uses the 520 mhz Marvell PXA270 CPU (why not the 624 mhz I wonder?) and has a 2.8 inch 240 x 320 screen. The built-in camera is 3 megapixels with 4x digital zoom and (I believe) a flash. The 128 MB of RAM and 256 MB of Flash ROM will store your data, and the microSD card slot will take care of the rest. The 1590 mAh battery will keep it powered, and it weighs in at 5.1 ounces and is 4.6 x 2.37 x 0.69 inches in size. The Smart Touch wheel is the interesting hardware innovation here - the video I linked to earlier today shows how that works. The price for all this? $599 USD - not bad at all (compared to some of the other high-end HTC and i-Mate devices).

Check out the complete spec sheet if you want more details. We'll do our best to get you a review of this new device as well.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:43 AM
lorettaboy
Pupil

Thats a great price point. This should be good competition for the HTC Kaiser, at almost $200 cheaper, and only lacking the qwerty and tilt features.
I was dead set on getting the Kaiser, but now i'm not so sure.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:09 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

If I'm not mistaken, the iPAQ 600 is an OKWAP K869 with a couple of tweaks on the exterior. If everything on the inside remains the same, then it should have an FM radio even though the specs sheet makes no mention of it. All in all, a very nice device.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:48 AM
srmz
Ponderer

Strange!! The 600 is a windows professional device and does not have the D-pad. How are we supposed to navigate the screen except for using the stylus. Or maybe the ring like thing in the center of the keypad is some technology which takes care of screen navigation instead of the normal looking Dpad.

Regards

Sorry but I found the answer after looking at the excellent video further down the main page. Sorry once again for bothering

Old 09-07-2007, 04:52 PM
pmgibson
Ponderer

Question: if you are a person who uses a stylus and Calligrapher and would not make heavy use of the keyboard on the HTC TyTn II, what other differences between the iPaq 600 and HTC TyTn II exist that might make you choose one over the other?

Old 09-07-2007, 06:39 PM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgibson
Question: if you are a person who uses a stylus and Calligrapher and would not make heavy use of the keyboard on the HTC TyTn II, what other differences between the iPaq 600 and HTC TyTn II exist that might make you choose one over the other?
Quality, I guess. You have strong record of quality devices of HTC and completely oposit from HP. As for me?
I am waiting for ETen X800 to go on sale. I prefer stylus and transcriber too. My only concern is 64 Mb RAM Maybe they will encrease it with + modification of this device. Here are specs: http://www.gsmarena.com/eten_glofiish_x800-1926.php

Old 09-07-2007, 08:19 PM
denethor
Pupil

I also prefer X800 just because VGA. This one is looking more promising but VGA...

By the way 3g phone without front camera? Strange

Old 09-07-2007, 10:36 PM
mattbugz
Ponderer

No qwerty...deal breaker for me.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:01 AM
Sven Johannsen
Editorial Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by virain
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgibson
Quality, I guess. You have strong record of quality devices of HTC and completely oposit from HP. As for me?
Not sure I would entirely agree with that assessment. My HP devices have been very reliable from the 540, thru 560/568, then 2215, 4155 and 3715. That is from the beginning of PPC in 2000. All are still running. There was some odd stuff going on around the 4700 era, but overall HP was pretty good. We really don't have that long a history on HTC, as HTC. They did Dell's, and untill recently all of I-Mate's, and you can find some quality issues floating around those offerrings.

I'm pretty interested in a couple of the HP models. I've always been pretty satisfied with HP support as well (YMMV), and have had a bit more issues with companies that have minimal support structures in the States.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:51 AM
srmz
Ponderer

I believe in the past HTC had also done some HP devices