Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 09-06-2007, 11:58 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default HP iPAQ 200 Enterprise Handheld

http://tinyurl.com/2m3n2q

[click image above for high-resolution photo]

Next up in HP's flood of new devices we have the HP iPAQ 200 series Enterprise Handheld. This is a device that will excite many of you hard-core Pocket PC fans who don't want a phone but instead want a kick-ass Pocket PC. Check the specs: 802.11 b/g, 624 mhz Marvell PXA310 CPU, a four VGA (640 x 480) inch screen (260K colours), 64 MB of RAM, 256 MB of Flash ROM, 2200 mAH battery, mini USB connector, 802.11 b/g WiFi, Bluetooth 2.0, 3.5mm headphone jack, and weighs 6.8 ounces. The dimensions are 4.96" x 2.99" x 0.63".

What confuses me is the expansion slots - on the description page it says "store business-critical information with high-capacity SDIO and CompactFlash expansion" yet on the specifications page it says "Micro SD card slot". The PDF I have here says SDIO and CF, so I'm going to assume that's correct - in which case we have a very interesting device! Dual slots, VGA screen, fast CPU - the 64 MB of RAM is a pity, as 128 MB would have been much nicer, but most users should be able to make do with 64 MB since it's not a phone and thus will have a lot fewer processes running all the time. I've seen many people wanting a nice VGA device, so if you're OK with the $449 USD price tag, I think this might be the device for you.

Check out the complete spec sheet if you want more details. We'll do our best to get you a review of this new device as well.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:53 AM
Deslock
Thinker
Default Re: HP iPAQ 200 Enterprise Handheld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
weighs 3.68 ounces
I think that might be a typo... it's 6.8 ounces according to the spec sheet.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:18 AM
jhennig
Ponderer

It's too bad that it isn't any better. Don't get me wrong, it sounds like a solid Pocket PC, but it sounds very similar to my Dell X51v which I have had for over two years now. :roll: Isn't anyone other than Toshiba interested in doing anything for the "old school" Pocket PC users who don't feel the need to be connected to their phone all the time?

Even Toshiba seems to put stuff out only here and there without much bang.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:57 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Re: HP iPAQ 200 Enterprise Handheld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock
I think that might be a typo... it's 6.8 ounces according to the spec sheet.
"114.6g (3.68 oz) w/battery" is what the HP product site says, but you're right, the PDF says 6.8 ounces, which sounds much more reasonable. Fixing...

Old 09-07-2007, 04:03 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

It's good to see HP release a couple of Classic devices. I know plenty of people that aren't particularly interested in a converged device, yet still want something up-to-date and with all the grunt of the Axim X50/X51 series. Seems like this fits the bill.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:37 AM
cab124
Intellectual

I thought for sure that HP was finally going to give me a converged device with a VGA screen to replace my Dell x50v and LG cell phone. Once again, I am out of luck.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:55 AM
captgoodhope
Ponderer

No SDHC? :roll:

Old 09-07-2007, 06:00 AM
juni
Sage

The only interesting device in the bunch, but does it match up to the Advantage I wonder...

Old 09-07-2007, 06:15 AM
techNeuron
Neophyte

Slightly bigger than the x51v. Although the screen is 4", where the x51v is 3.7". The specs didn't mention a graphics processor. I wonder how that will affect the speed of the display.

It would be nice if it had GPS, 128MB, and a jog switch (man I miss that). Then I might consider it. Right now it looks like my x51v (with 128 MB upgrade from PCTech) will have to do.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:00 AM
j92627
Neophyte

I am relieved that there is some device with a large screen. I had become almost despondent that most current devices have cramped 2.8 inch screens. The most important feature to me for a device is the screen: resolution and size. I can't imagine the Ulimate trying to squeeze VGA productivity (i.e. content not only "eye appeal") onto a 2.8 inch screen.

The other point is that this device has a decent form factor. Had this device included telephony then it would be thick, a brick. This device's form factor works, and in this regard I believe it holds to the spirit of the original iPAQs. Besides the RAM (PPCTechs to the rescue), good job HP!