Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 07-14-2007, 12:15 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Microsoft Releases Live Search for Windows Mobile 2.0

http://www.betanews.com/article/Win..._Out/1184339738

"In the Windows Live Search 2.0 desktop version, new features include movie showtimes and the addition of more local data and user reviews. The Virtual Earth maps functionality has been improved and users would have the option of increasing the cache by using a storage card. The directions functionality has been bolstered as well, with better support for in-phone GPS and improved turn-by-turn navigation. The application would even prompt to reroute if it detects you have veered away from the given directions."

Windows Live Search for Windows Mobile (I think that's the proper name, it's all rather confusing) has reached the 2.0 level, and it looks like mostly polishing - the movies feature is cool if you live in a supported area, but unfortunately I do not so the product continues to be of limited use. And, sadly, since I lost my flat rate GPRS data plan (I haven't shared my secret horror with everyone yet, have I?) programs like this are dramatically less useful. That said, if you have flat-rate data and a fast connection, this program truly rocks. Version 1.x had the storage card cache feature, but now you can use up to 128 MB of storage. You can navigate to WLS.LIVE.COM to download the CAB file directly to your device. And hey, it's free!

Old 07-14-2007, 03:48 AM
fgarcia10
Intellectual
Default Love the new movie tab

I just installed it on my treo and on my dash and it is a welcome update.

I like how it looks on the dash better but the speed on the treo is awesome. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:09 PM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

It works pretty well with regular GPRS too. Areal view little slow, but map view does just fine.

Old 07-15-2007, 03:19 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

It is a good app and has some welcome improvements over version 1. Still, it is frustrating it can't give you the location of specific businesses along your route. I'd love to put in a route and then tell it to show me all of the Holiday Inn's or Starbucks within a few miles of that route. I know it has the data to do it. :|

Old 07-15-2007, 02:03 PM
lanwarrior
Intellectual

They still haven't fixed the route-calculation-on-the-fly like in Google Map. With Google Map, I can do this:

1) Search for an address or business
2) Once found and shown on map, click on it and select "Directions To Here"
3) Then I can select any other location in the map.

With Windows Live, I have to use the cluncky direction interface.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:45 PM
gabrandt
Pupil

anyone have problems upgrading? the 2.0 install fails trying to remove the older version. manual removal of the older version fails as well. same result after soft-reset.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:20 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrandt
anyone have problems upgrading? the 2.0 install fails trying to remove the older version. manual removal of the older version fails as well. same result after soft-reset.
Have you tweaked your Pocket PC to launch Live Search on startup and/or have a shortcut to it on the Today screen?

Old 07-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrandt
Sounds like you may have WM5. Sometimes apps fail to uninstall properly. Do a soft reset, then go into Add/Remove progreams and uninstall. If it fails, tell it to go ahead and remoe it from the Remove Programs list.

Then, manually search the device for the folder it was installed in and remove that folder - should be in Program Files or \Storage Card\Program files. Then start the v2 upgrade/install again.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:58 PM
Sniff
Pupil
Default My quick review

I still prefer Google Map's map interface. However I do like the "Categories" search. It offers a quick way to find a store, restaurant or any other categorized destination. (I didn't know there were that many Karaoke places in my city!)

Also, I do have a gripe with both WLS and Google on how they can't interface with my Calendar. Sometimes I have the addresses in my appointments and I like to get directions to them with a single click. At least Google Map offers this to my Contact list. I can't understand how Microsoft can't offer both of these to there own apps...