Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 06-28-2007, 01:30 PM
Paul Martin
Editor Emeritus
Default How Would You Change Windows Mobile 6?

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/24/...ndows-mobile-6/

"While some of you have no doubt been running Windows Mobile 6 for a few months or more already (thanks, XDA developers!), the majority of the world is just recently getting its first taste of Microsoft's latest mobile operating system from new devices like the Sprint Mogul and updates to others like the T-Mobile Dash. The critics have certainly been, um, critical of the new OS, to say the least -- "evolutionary, not revolutionary" seems to be the general consensus -- but until we're allowed to behold the glorious light that is Photon, it's the best we've got for now. Still, while WM6 has beefed up Office support and arguably improved the tethering sitch, there are a number of issues that users have been griping about for years which have curiously yet to be addressed. ...so, what do you think: what could Redmond have done differently this time around?"

While I won't hold my breath that Dell will be releasing Windows Mobile 6 for my Axim, some of you have been using it for a while. Though there have been some improvements, it's not quite the leap some may have wanted. If you've had a chance to use Windows Mobile 6, what shortcomings have you found? As Pete Paxon over at Smartphone Thoughts suggests, "could it be that MS doesn't include certain functions so developers can create these programs instead?" Interesting question. So, how about you? Anything you absolutely need changing or are the third-party applications enough?

Old 06-28-2007, 03:06 PM
BobbyCannon
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to BobbyCannon
Default My Thoughts

Edit: I thought the title said "Would you change to Windows Mobile 6"...

I would in a second! The problem is that there's not an upgrade path for existing phones / pda. I get so frustrated. After a couple of months with my new fancy spiffy device a new Window Mobile comes outs and I can't upgrade unless I buy a whole new device. Now your just simply out of date...

I wish these devices allowed us (customers) to install the latest WM. Hopefully in the future the devices will become more flexibly like the PC.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:16 PM
extravagant
Intellectual

The one thing I would change for msn live messenger is the fact that when you first try to sign in, it puts your contacts into your address book, so if u have 300 contacts, it adds an extra 300 contacts, even if they are redundant it still adds them! Then, if you delete the contacts from your address book, they're then GONE from your msn messenger list ! Which is wrong! What if a guest wants to sign in? Also, if that happenes to anyone, just login from your PC, go to tools > options > privacy tab > right click each person in the list and click add to contact list!

Old 06-28-2007, 05:14 PM
SkyBoy
Pupil

#1 thing to change, why did they make the left softkey in Calendar the "Reply" button?!?!?!?!? there is no "reply" function in the calendar! why did they waste the softkey on a useless function?!? it should be "new"
slightly related is their decision to make the left softkey in Messaging the "Delete" function. because of the confirmation step, it takes 2 steps to delete. under WM5 it took 2 steps to delete (menu-delete). they managed to reduce 2 steps to 2 steps. now THAT's progress! and now, the "new" function takes 3 steps (instead of 1 in WM5). once again, progress!

Old 06-28-2007, 05:58 PM
lemz
Neophyte

I would start by crucifying the WM product manager. And I don't mean just giving him a pink slip, I mean nailing the ****er the cross and setting it on fire.

Then, I would pay a suitcase full of cash each day to somebody who is familiar with terms like "user interface" and "usability".

I think this would be a good start.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:39 PM
ScottC
Ponderer

Dropping a few million to buy away some UI designers from Apple would be a start.

Then I'd tell the development team that changes like removing BT DUN or sync over wifi will be forbidden.

Once they are done turning the X into a close button I'd let them continue to start from the ground up, adding the few parts of WM that don't suck, and telling the developers to rewrite the parts that do.

Parts we wouldn't see again:

Connection manager
Calculator
IE in its current form
PocketOutlook
Program manager
Microsoft Bluetooth

What we'd end up with is a more polished UI.

A browser that is a TRUE mobile browser (with integrated support for flash, media and java), tabs and a smarter rendering engine.

A much easier to use connection manager that supports configuration on the desktop (no more entering 40 character keys on the device).

A configurable program manager with different views (list, icons etc...)

An email client with filtering, spelling check, flagging and other features.

The Bluetooth stack will be purchased elsewhere since there doesn't seem to be a single programmer within Microsoft that can develop a reliable working stack.

Then, before releasing this, I'd tell the operators that they are no longer in charge of updates. Updates and fixes will be released when they are ready and can be downloaded OTA or through activesync. Operators can put their own .CAB package on the device as long as it doesn't interfere with the core of the OS.

Next up are the hardware vendors. They will cease to use QVGA from 2008 onwards and only release VGA and higher. The minimum memory will be raised to 512Mb.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:23 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCannon
I would in a second! The problem is that there's not an upgrade path for existing phones / pda. I get so frustrated. After a couple of months with my new fancy spiffy device a new Window Mobile comes outs and I can't upgrade unless I buy a whole new device. Now your just simply out of date...

I wish these devices allowed us (customers) to install the latest WM. Hopefully in the future the devices will become more flexibly like the PC.
Hi Bobby... that's not quite true for all phones. My Eten X500 for instance, got upgraded WM5 to WM6 just last month (by me) and I believe some other manufacturers (HTC?) have said they will be providing WM6 upgrades for users to install as well.

To be honest though, for me, most of the WM6 upgrades were cosmetic (it does look cool), although some of the problems with BT and other communications were fixed. And all-in-all, this ROM update from Eten seems pretty stable compared to earlier ones.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:20 PM
TOCA
Intellectual

What??? Are you trying to tell me, there could be something better, than WM6?? 8O :wink:

Old 06-29-2007, 01:27 PM
Tirnaog
Pupil
Default The "X" btn thingy

Ye all probably know about this small little free app, but just incase someone out there dosent;

MagicButton: This is the one app that gets put on first thing on my PPCs.
It turns the X into a exit function so you don't have all those running apps.

Its very small and works great. Hopefully it will work in WM6 too.

What I would like to see back is the theme switcher. Just upgraded finally to a WM5 device and I miss this app greatly.

Deasun

Old 06-29-2007, 03:49 PM
mesposito2
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to mesposito2

>> How Would You Change Windows Mobile 6?

Boy wouldn't it be nice to actually see WM6 to be able to answer this question. If they wait much longer everyone will already have moved to iPhone.