Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 04-25-2007, 10:00 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default Dave Evans Reviews the HTC Advantage

http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...d.php?t=1150688

"Every once in awhile a device comes along that changes the scenery of Windows Mobile. The first 3650 iPaq had a huge impact on the launch of Pocket PCs. The Dell Axim X5 made an impact on the pricing of Pocket PCs. The Wizard added the ever popular slide out keyboard, and the Universal with its mini laptop style opened new doors for data-centric devices. I think the X7500 falls into that elite group of influential devices."

Paragon has a great review of the HTC Advantage focusing squarely on the usability of the device, with lots of pics to prove his points. If you're on the edge in terms of buying the Advantage (that is, if you can afford it :roll, this review should give you some nudges in the right direction.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:29 AM
dommasters
Intellectual

It only changes the scenery because it's so big that it blocks out the light
Having said that I will buy the UMPC version :wink:

Old 04-25-2007, 02:01 PM
TechnoGeek
Neophyte
Default HTC Advantage (Dopod U1000)

Ok, so I am a big fan of HTC, and purchased the X7500 (badged as Dopod U1000) three weeks ago. This is my 4th HTC device and I LOVE it.

However, there are some shortcomings that none of the reviews point out:
(a) this device cannot be used as a normal mobile phone, as it only has speakerphone mode (in other words, the picture following the review mentioned above is not a possible use of the device). One cannot make private conversations without a bluetooth headset.
(b) The leather case will ruin the device over time. There are three almost identical photos in the review that show the phone side-on, with one of the phone in the leather case. Notice how the lid (keyboard) doesn't close (fold flat onto the phone) because the plastic clip is quite thick. Over time this will bend the keyboard if it is in a pocket with only a little pressure applied.
(c) The magnets that hold the phone to the keyboard are very strong. After 100+ connections, the keyboard starts getting little dings where the phone attached to quickly and dented it.
(d) If you carry the phone the way it was intended (ie. the keyboard closing over the screen and protecting it), then the see through plastic portion of the keyboard will get scratched, as it rests against the edge of the phone. :-(

My solution to the above problems is to add a few thin, see through plastic stickers in specific places to protect the phone.

I am also planning to have a new case made that provides further protection.

However, as far as the usefulness of the device goes, I absolutely love it!! I am so productive now when I travel. This phone is great!

Old 04-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Frankie1
Intellectual
Default Only if It had....

I would get this phone in an instant if it had.... some type of carring case that you could throw over your shoulder. I would never carry around a device worth 1k in my pocket. I literally detroyed over 3,000 worth of devices that way. :evil:
And this thing is way way to big to hang off my belt. Even with my Vodafone v1640 (which Ijust got T-Mobile US picture mail to work on. YES!) people make idiotic comments like: "what is that, a laptop hanging from your belt?" in attempts to be funny. Or "What is that a PSP?" I hate those comments. With my O2 XDA exec, I did not get so much stupic comments (I guess because it was black and no one really took notice). But I love the Universal form factor and I'm wating for the I-mate 7150 to come out. I have high hopes for that device.
But if someone does compe up with some stylish & practical carring cases for the HTC advantage; I would get it the next day. I hope no one tries to hang this from their hip. or risk smashing it in their pocket.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:09 PM
Paragon
Magi
Default Re: Only if It had....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1
But if someone does compe up with some stylish & practical carring cases for the HTC advantage; I would get it the next day. I hope no one tries to hang this from their hip. or risk smashing it in their pocket.
I would stronly suggest one of the "Fanny packs" that were the rage a few years back. I still see people using them. I think this would be perfect for the x7500.
Something like this.

@TecknoGeek

You make some very good observations. I think the clear plastic viewer on the keyboard will easily scratch as you say.

I do have to point out that the picture of the girl holding the phone to her ear that was posted in that thread was a bit of a joke from a previous thread. As I mentioned in the review, I think the only way one could even attempt to use it like a regular phone would be to turn the volume of the speakerphone down very low.

Have you noticed anything else after your few weeks of use, good or bad?

Once again, Nurhisham, thanks for the link!

Dave

Old 04-25-2007, 11:48 PM
Frankie1
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon
Quote:
I would stronly suggest one of the "Fanny packs" that were the rage a few years back. I still see people using them. I think this would be perfect for the x7500.
Something like this.

Dave
Please tell me you kidding? I can only imagine how cool that would be; a 22 year old walking around with a fanny pack like "hey what's up my hommies" I know what I'll do, I'll buy one and wear it where the pouch is on my side and loosen it a bit: this should have the same affect as wearing a baseball cap backwards. lol. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
seriously, mabey somethinf that's thrown over the shoulder. I've seen some tablet carring cases like this which would be way too big for the Advantage.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:07 AM
Paragon
Magi

Your hommies are going to kick your nerd a$$ when they see 1000 bucks hangin on your belt.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:55 AM
Frankie1
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon
Your hommies are going to kick your nerd a$$ when they see 1000 bucks hangin on your belt.
I don't have hommies, the pocket pc thoughts team and community are mt hommies. Also a shout out to my Chineese hommies that hooked a brother up with WM6 for my Universal (still trying to figure out how to make the windows live search bar black opposed to white)

Old 04-26-2007, 04:29 AM
Gerard
Pontificator

This device positively SCREAMS 'man-bag.' Wuddup. Homes... uuuh... never mind.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:58 AM
TechnoGeek
Neophyte

[quote="Paragon"]
Quote:
Have you noticed anything else after your few weeks of use, good or bad?
There are three things that come to mind:
* It is extremely stable
* The GPS is superb with the downloadable data. I travel weekly, and have always had to wait several minutes before my GPSs have found a lock after a flight (and don't even try doing this while on the move in a Taxi). But with this device, I get a lock in about 1 minute even while moving in a vehicle! Very cool.
* I wish there was a vibrate mode. However, I will probably get a vibrating bluetooth headset, so this shouldn't be too much of an issue.

If I think of more things, I'll post them.[/list]