Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 03-29-2007, 05:15 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default UBiQUiO 503G Revealed

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=147071

"An impressive feature-set including Windows Mobile� 6 software, a 520MHz Intel processor, Stereo Bluetooth, WiFi and blazing fast HSDPA wireless data, make the UBiQUiO 503G a mobile powerhouse. Enjoy blazing fast wireless connectivity. The 503G features the latest in 3G wireless technology, HSDPA, which supports speeds up to 3.6 Mbps. That, combined with the quick 520MHz processor, make for a rewarding mobile experience. Staying up to date on your email, appointments, and tasks while on the move has never been more convenient. A generous 256MB or ROM means you can store a larger number of mobile applications directly onto the device and if you want to store a large number of files, then you can simply plug in a microSD card, up to 2GB in capacity. If you are looking for multimedia features, the UBiQUiO 503G offers two cameras. The main camera is a 2MP CMOS camera with Micro Focus, perfect for capturing pictures and short videos and emailing them directly to your friends or collegues. The 2nd camera is a 0.3MP camera for video conferencing. Windows Media Player Mobile and the included stereo headphones let you enjoy your music & video files anywhere you go."

The 503G packs some mostly impressive innards from the 520MHz processor and 256MB ROM to the quad-band GSM/GPRS and tri-band UMTS/HSDPA connectivity, integrated 802.11b/g Wi-Fi... and, ahem, Bluetooth 1.2. All that with Windows Mobile 6 Professional to go. Want one? Expansys is reporting a release date of June 20.

Update: More snaps and thoughts at the CTIA 2007 Blog.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:56 PM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

Doh! It's not compatible with T-Mo's 3G service!

BTW, why don't manufacturers make quadband HPSDA devices? I would think that by adding a frequency, they can sell so many more? Power issue? Complexity?

Old 03-29-2007, 06:24 PM
kensongan
Neophyte

Oh man, I want this phone

Old 03-29-2007, 08:52 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

YES!! I've been wanting something just like this. I "wish" it had more memory and would love it if they'd squeeze in GPS too. However, if this is released with the specs listed at Expansys, when estimated, I think I may have finally found a worthy successor for my beaten up i730. It's not much to look at anymore, but it has served me well.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:04 PM
nosmohtac
Sage

The specs say that the display is 320x240, but it looks higher than that from the picture. Does anyone else think so?

Old 03-29-2007, 11:13 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosmohtac
The specs say that the display is 320x240, but it looks higher than that from the picture. Does anyone else think so?
It's only a 2.4" display, so i think everything is going to be pretty small AND sharp. I pretty sure that image is just photoshopped in too. You'll be able to adjust the font size to suit your needs/wants on the device once they start shipping.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:20 AM
bkerrins
Intellectual

Nice specs for the most part. I have to have GPS though. I'd even be willing to change mobile carriers if this had GPS.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:49 AM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

wow. I really like this one. i've always liked this form factor. GPS and FM radio would make it killer but still very nice as is.

definitely one to consider.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:58 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

If anyone's interested, the CTIA 2007 Blog has more snaps and thoughts.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:56 PM
vagelis
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksfiona
Doh! It's not compatible with T-Mo's 3G service!

BTW, why don't manufacturers make quadband HPSDA devices? I would think that by adding a frequency, they can sell so many more? Power issue? Complexity?
Unfortunatelly, it would then have to be 5-band HSDPA: 1700 and (T-Mobile's)2100 MHz. The 2100MHz spectrum auctioned off to T-Mo here is a few MHz off the European one.
RATS