Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 03-27-2007, 06:00 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default HTC Advantage Launched in the US

http://tinyurl.com/366zv4

"HTC has officially unveiled the Advantage, better known to some under it's original code-name of Athena. This is one of the most impressive Windows Mobile devices I've ever seen from a hardware perspective - HTC really pushed the boundaries with this device. The big five inch VGA screen is big enough to do serious work on, and the 8 GB hard drive is enough storage space for everything from business documents to personal photos, videos, and music."

For those of you who missed it, Jason just spent his birthday blogging away at CTIA in Florida, and his first device post covers the US launch of the HTC Advantage. No price has been established as yet though I expect it'll be somewhat north of US$1,000. Availability appears to be from June onwards via Amazon.com - if you can't wait that long to have a look-see, Engadget has a gallery up for viewing.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:59 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

It's worth noting that the X7501 ships with Windows Mobile 6 Professional and without a secondary camera. It'll be interesting to see if the X7500 gets some of that Windows Mobile upgrade love in the future.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:13 PM
farnold
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to farnold

As this is certainly a device for a small group of customers, I really like to know why anybody would even bother for this WM5 device w/o clarity about an upgrade to WM6 after the better one was announced just yesterday...

Old 03-27-2007, 04:12 PM
code-frog
Intellectual
Default Which Carriers???

This phone won't just work with any carrier will it? Doesn't it need to be picked up by a specific carrier? I'm a Sprint customer and am wondering what's coming after the PPC-6700. While I've enjoyed the 6700 it doesn't seem to hold up well over time.

So any guesses on who might adopt and carry this device for their customers?

- Rex

Old 03-27-2007, 05:49 PM
johnm
Ponderer

Does anyone know if you can type on the keyboard while holding it in your hand?

I've watched 3 video reviews now, and everyone goes on and on about how cool the magnet attachment of the keyboard is. But no one bothers to hold it in their hand and try and type on it. Since you certainly can't touch-type on such a small keyboard, I wonder why they bothered to orient it in a 'laptop' style configuration.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:25 PM
kinged
Ponderer
Default Wow

I did not pay too much attention when this was announced because it looks like a laptop.

But I just read the specification

VGA 5 inch
Phone, EDGE
bluetooth 2.0, Wifi
3mp camera
FM radio
GPS
Keyboard
8 GB hard drive
mini SD slot (max 4 GB)
128 mb RAM, 256 mb ROM
USB host

Am I dreaming? It is my dream device for PDA. The only thing I am not sure about is the size.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:50 PM
tendomentis
Pupil
Default Re: Which Carriers???

Quote:
Originally Posted by code-frog
This phone won't just work with any carrier will it? Doesn't it need to be picked up by a specific carrier? I'm a Sprint customer and am wondering what's coming after the PPC-6700. While I've enjoyed the 6700 it doesn't seem to hold up well over time.

So any guesses on who might adopt and carry this device for their customers?

- Rex
This particular variant is 3G/EDGE/UMTS/GSM, so you'd be restricted to using it on Tmobile/Cingular (and even then your 3G options are all screwy).

It's safe to say (if this takes off) that Verizon and Sprint will probably get a hold of a CDMA variant too (maybe the CDMA variant will support the NEW Rev for Verizon).

Old 03-27-2007, 10:04 PM
code-frog
Intellectual
Default Re: Which Carriers???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tendomentis
It's safe to say (if this takes off) that Verizon and Sprint will probably get a hold of a CDMA variant too (maybe the CDMA variant will support the NEW Rev for Verizon).
Cool! I hope you are right. I'm really wishing I had a choice to move to that was in a different direction than the 6700. It's just a tad too light on processor RAM/ROM for what I need. I need a phone with PC power for running a very restricted set of applications and most importantly some version of Outlook. From recent announcements I guess that eliminates HP as an option as they are dropping Outlook.

Thank you for your response though. I appreciate it very much!

Old 03-28-2007, 05:10 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default Re: Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinged
Am I dreaming? It is my dream device for PDA. The only thing I am not sure about is the size.
If you've seen a Cingular 8125, it's about the same size as that device with the keyboard slid out.

There's quite a few user pics in this thread.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:30 PM
disconnected
Sage

I think I would kill for a Sprint version of this, although in a perfect world I'd like another another card slot (and I don't really care about the keyboard). If Sprint doesn't get it, would it have the correct dialup profiles or whatever to connect to my current Sprint phone? I have Sprint's phone-as-modem plan so I can use the phone with my iPAQ 4700.

My 4700 is aging. I've had to do a couple of hard resets, and the touch screen is a little off now, so it's difficult to get through the alignment process. I'd love to update, and this is by far the best thing I've seen.