Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 03-21-2007, 10:00 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default Up Close And Personal With The HTC Kaiser

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/20/...er-in-the-wild/

"Don't whip out your Wizard or Hermes and try this, folks -- you'll only end up with tears and a broken Pocket PC -- it's a hot new trick HTC's Hermes follow-on has up its sleeves. Besides the wacky flip-up action, the Kaiser ups the camera to a full 3 megapixels (an extra million pixels over its predecessor), adds HSUPA support for crazy fast uploads, GPS, and the now-obligatory Windows Mobile 6 Professional."

Engadget (via Howardforums.com) have got their hands on real live pics of the HTC Kaiser. The Kaiser is the planned successor to the Hermes, with a bevy of useful evolutionary improvements that may or may not make it worthwhile as an upgrade for Hermes owners, depending on how you value them. No indications yet as to release date, but you know when pics like these appear you're really looking at a few months to go at most.

Update: PDAdb.net (via Engadget) now has an offical press shot for the Kaiser available.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:50 PM
alese
Philosopher

Couple of months ago, this was the device I wanted for my next device. But that was before Toshiba G900 and iMate Ultimate series.

Now, at least for me, it just doesn't cut it any more. With it's QVGA screen, rumored only 64Mb RAM it's just not as good as the above devices that have VGA or higher resolution, more memory and stuff like USB Host and video out that are for me much more important than GPS.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:25 PM
PdaAddict
Ponderer
Default No VGA - No Upgrade

I don't see how this device is really better than my Hermes. Give me a bigger size VGA screen and I will buy it, otherwise it's just not worth it.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:01 PM
kiwi
Thinker
Default nice

I am tempted but the sound of the X800 or keyboard version of the same has also got me tempted!

Old 03-21-2007, 03:41 PM
jeasher
Intellectual

So how long until the hinge breaks?

Old 03-21-2007, 04:05 PM
joelevi
Intellectual
Default Tell me about the other devices you mentioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alese
...But that was before Toshiba G900 and iMate Ultimate series. ...With it's QVGA screen, rumored only 64Mb RAM it's just not as good as the above devices that have VGA or higher resolution, more memory and stuff like USB Host and video out that are for me much more important than GPS.
For me GPS is a must (I've gotten spoiled with my E-TEN G-500 in that regard). Also, I find myself inputting more and more text, and the slide-out QWERTY keyboard is on my list of must-haves, as is WinMo6Pro.

I don't like that it uses MicroSD rather than MiniSD, but I can live with that. I'm not all that keep on the "tip up" screen, but I can see the logic behind adding it.

Global 3G is very nice, though I won't have much to use it on here in the states with T-Mobile's T-Zones plan.

So, now to the heart of my post, Alese, I'm not that familiar with the other devices you mentioned. Which (if any) of them have GPS, WinMo6Pro, Quad-Band GSM, and a slide-out QWERTY keyboard.

(The answer may be "none" but I'm honestly just fishing for information.)

- www.JoeLevi.com

Old 03-21-2007, 06:32 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

I have enjoyed all of my HTC devices (Wizard, Hermes, Excalibur) and would likely go for this one, but the lack of VGA really has me concerned, especially since seeing the Toshiba g900. That however, is lacking GPS. I am using a solar bluetooth GPS device, but I would prefer something integrated. If the Toshiba had GPS or this Kaiser had VGA, I could be satisfied, otherwise I might just wait a little bit longer. My WM6 needs have been satisfied by loading WM6 on my Wizard and the upcoming release for the Excalibur for WM Standard (T-Mobile Dash update).

Old 03-21-2007, 08:04 PM
alese
Philosopher
Default Re: Tell me about the other devices you mentioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLevi
So, now to the heart of my post, Alese, I'm not that familiar with the other devices you mentioned. Which (if any) of them have GPS, WinMo6Pro, Quad-Band GSM, and a slide-out QWERTY keyboard.

(The answer may be "none" but I'm honestly just fishing for information.)

- www.JoeLevi.com
The answer is truly none, because none of the devices mentioned by me has GPS. However all of them have at least VGA screen, GSM/GPRS (quad band), UMTS/HSDPA and WM6.
Toshiba has also slide out keyboard and one of the Ultimate devices (7150) has similar design than HTC Universal with nice thumboard.
If GPS and keyboard is a must for you then the rumored Eten VGA device should be more to your liking - it should be a keyboard version of the mentioned X800.

For more information, just do the search on this site, all of the devices were discussed a lot here...

Old 03-21-2007, 10:27 PM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

This has a very interesting look. I would like to see better stats.. But the black and tilt screen/keyboard is way cool. But, the new i-Mates look absolutely delicious...

Old 03-22-2007, 12:23 AM
saru83
Thinker

this device is almost perfect.. the only addition i would like is a VGA screen :cry: