Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 02-23-2007, 10:52 PM
Paul Martin
Editor Emeritus
Default Menneisyys Releasing Instant Messaging Roundup

http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/in...1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

"Now, �only� the heart of the entire roundup, the Comparison & Feature Chart is (mostly) ready (with some 130 (!) screenshots linked from there). Still, particularly if you already know how I structure my comparison charts and have also read at least some of my previous IRC client-related articles, you�ll find the chart immensely useful. And, again, don�t forget to check out OctroTalk if you�re into instant messaging on the Pocket PC. You may also want to check out this thread for more information."

Though the review is a work in progress, you can still check out the massive chart Menneisyys has prepared, comparing IM+ 4.3, Octro 0.9, WM6 Live Messenger, Pre- WM6 MSN Messenger, Agile Messenger, imov Messenger Basic / Enterprise, Pocket ICQ, and IRC clients. If you've been thinking about using IM on your mobile device, it's definitely worth checking out.

UPDATE:
Menneisyys has finished the Windows Mobile Instant Messaging Bible and posted it to our forums. Thanks for the great work, Menneisyys.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:10 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Wow, thanks for the frontpage!

I'm still working on the WebMessenger column and will also include all the major, current IRC clients instead of "just" having a one-column IRC client summary (that is, I'll include at least wmIRC, zsIRC and PocketIRC in the chart as separate entries).

In the meantime, comments are surely welcome

Old 02-23-2007, 11:18 PM
Paul Martin
Editor Emeritus

See, now you need to hurry up and finish it.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:31 PM
Menneisyys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Martin
See, now you need to hurry up and finish it.
Yeah, hopefully it'll be ready tomorrow - the WebMessenger column is about 50% ready already.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:43 AM
bnycastro
Sage
Send a message via MSN to bnycastro Send a message via Yahoo to bnycastro

just like to say that all the comparisons and data you show the community is awesome! keep it M!!! the FORCE is strong in you...

Old 02-24-2007, 01:36 AM
paschott
Intellectual

Wow, that's one huge chart. I was wondering about one thing that seemed to be missing and maybe it's just MSN Messenger that does this on PPC. How many of these let you disable notifications when people log on or off? I used MSN briefly on my PPC, but the constant on/offline made me ditch it after < 30 minutes of use.

Thanks for the plug for Octro - I'll have to give that a try (at least for the next week or so).

-Pete

Old 02-24-2007, 03:51 AM
JesterMania
Thinker

Wow, I can't wait for this round-up. I've always been a fan of instant messaging and to have these available on a PPC fully compared is a very good thing. I'm personally looking forward to the official release of the new WM6 Live Messenger.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:04 AM
Menneisyys

UPDATE (02/25/2007 10:50 CET):

A completely new column discussing Webmessenger Mobile Instant Messenger for Pocket PC 2003 has been added; (compared to the last update some 12-13 hours ago) two new rows (�Text formatting (AIM : full formatting; Yahoo: Bold / Italic / Underlined; IRC: the same + colors + inverse)? (MSN: Edit / Change font only changes the font of the entire current / following messages; that is, it offers no real formatting capabilities; ICQ and Google Talk: absolutely no formatting capabilities)� and �Quick edit shortcuts (Ctrl-A, Delete, Ctrl+arrow etc)�) and a half-row (�Smiley output�) added, along with a lot of other smaller edits/additions.

Dunno when the article gets ready; it�s highly possible only tomorrow. Be patient

In the meantime, feel free to comment on the information already available.

Old 02-24-2007, 04:16 PM
SteveHoward999
Pontificator

I've not really used IM woth PocketPC for anything more than a bit of fun. However I use it all the time on PC. I discovered that my Nokia E62 has several IM options, but most use SMS to communicate - which can incur charges if you don't have a big enough SMS plan. There are some data SMS solutions, but few are free, and some are subscription!

So my question, for this review, is do any of the reviewed options use SMS to communicate? Or are they all data only?

I coiuld also ask ... Is the SMS communication thing an invention of the Corporate money-grabbers at Cingular? ;-)

Old 02-24-2007, 05:21 PM
Menneisyys

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHoward999
I've not really used IM woth PocketPC for anything more than a bit of fun. However I use it all the time on PC. I discovered that my Nokia E62 has several IM options, but most use SMS to communicate - which can incur charges if you don't have a big enough SMS plan. There are some data SMS solutions, but few are free, and some are subscription!

So my question, for this review, is do any of the reviewed options use SMS to communicate? Or are they all data only?

I coiuld also ask ... Is the SMS communication thing an invention of the Corporate money-grabbers at Cingular? ;-)
VeriChat (which I won't review as it only works in the US, while I'm located in Europe, so, I don't even have the chance to give it a try) is SMS-only. Also, PocketICQ (as with the desktop ICQ client) has explicit SMS-based messaging capabilities.