¹ Sandisk's Sansa Connect: What the Zune Should Have Been? - Thoughts Media Forums Zune Thoughts

Zune Thoughts.com

Thanks for visiting Zune Thoughts - be sure to register in our forums!

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Windows Phone Thoughts

Loading feed...

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > ZUNE THOUGHTS > Zune Talk

Old 04-12-2007, 02:00 PM
Damion Chaplin
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Sandisk's Sansa Connect: What the Zune Should Have Been?

http://www.tipsdr.com/?p=871

"The Yahoo Music Blog announced the release of the Sandisk Sansa Connect, the Wifi enabled MP3 player that will free you from your USB cables, at least until you need to charge it. You can listen to personalized radio, share music over Yahoo Messenger, view photos from Flickr and download music. They are offering unlimited downloads from Yahoo Music Unlimited for only $12 dollars a month, but I see no mention if they are cutting a similar deal of DRM less MP3’s from EMI... I’m not buying any more MP3 players, with three different iPods, a Zune and various generic MP3 players, I don’t think that me or my kids needs another, but if someone wants to send me one for review, I’d sure like to try one out. Maybe someone should send one to Microsoft so they can see what their wireless should look like."

Well, Sansa's done it again, beating the competition at their own game.  The way they've implemented their Wi-Fi is so superior to Microsoft's they shouldn't even be considered the same type of thing.  The Sansa Connect's Wi-Fi is something I might actually use, whereas I've never once turned on the Wi-Fi receiver in my Zune.  So what do you think?  Is this the Wi-Fi implementation you were hoping for in the Zune, or another example of close but no cigar?

Old 04-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion Chaplin View Post
Is this the Wi-Fi implementation you were hoping for in the Zune, or another example of close but no cigar?
This is exactly what I was hoping for in the Zune. Quite frankly, in the WMA ecosystem, there's only a few players I'd consider, and Sandisk is one of them. I've been utterly underwhelmed with Zune's "upgrades" so far.
--janak

Old 04-12-2007, 04:23 PM
David Tucker
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

Yeah, this is exactly what I thought the Zune was (and I think to a degree, MS had a lot of these ideas on the table and then didn't follow them through to launch) and I think what it HAS to be. Internet radio? Sharing via messenger? You go from having a device that you can share with the people around you to something that's open to a world of possibilities.

MS has to step up.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:42 PM
David Tucker
Send a message via ICQ to David Tucker Send a message via AIM to David Tucker Send a message via MSN to David Tucker Send a message via Yahoo to David Tucker

Now that I've looked over the Sansa...sadly the WiFi connect is the only thing that they seem to have done right :

4 GB? I don't care if it has an expansion slot. With subscription music, you're gonna fill that up. I have about 9 GB of files on my Zune. Some of that is video but I add music all the time.

Which brings me to the video? No video? Forget it.

And here's the dig about the WiFi. The Zune should have this. But on the other hand...at work, where I use my Zune all day I can't access any WiFi networks. They're secured. There is only one place where I have access to an unsecure network. My house. This has to have an open network. Um...yeah, good luck with that. That's about useless as the Zune WiFi.

All of this sounds good but I don't think its going to work well in the wild. As a model though, its a good one that should be improved on.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:46 PM
ale_ers
Theorist

I agree with everyone here, I thought MS was going to add a lot of these features. It seems, however, that they are just fixing things. I know it has had a longer lifespan, but I expected the Zune to be like the 360, every update seems to fix as well as add new features. Everyone said that the WiFi gave them tons of possiblities...I am still waiting to see them.

I'm not bitter though. The Zune is a great music and video player...I'm happy with that. But I also would love to see more.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Open WiFi? Really? Wow. Who has/runs open WiFi networks anymore? I thought it would be painful to put in the WEP/PSK key/code for a secure network, but I at least thought it would be possible.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:04 AM
tbird
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tucker View Post
4 GB? I don't care if it has an expansion slot. With subscription music, you're gonna fill that up. I have about 9 GB of files on my Zune. Some of that is video but I add music all the time.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

***long quote trimmed by mod JD***