Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 02-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default But Wait, There's More: i-mate Ultimate In Bed with Vista

http://www.channelinsider.com/artic...s/200919_1.aspx

So, it turns out the i-mate Ultimate devices make great portable office and media companions. An article posted at Channel Insider reveals that the devices are SideShow-compatible, meaning they can operate as gadget-displaying secondary screens for Windows Vista. Furthermore, the devices can act as Windows Media Center Extenders, so that great Media Center experience is always within reach.

All credit goes to i-mate here for raising the bar. Whether it's the 8150 (candybar phone with numeric keypad) and 9150 (flip phone with numeric keypad) and their 2.6" VGA touch screens, the 7150 (clamshell phone with QWERTY keyboard) and its 3.8" VGA touch screen, or the 5150 (slider phone) and 6150 and their questionable form factors, there's an Ultimate here to suit almost everyone. All five are expected to hit store shelves in June. Unfortunately, pricing is still anyone's guess.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:02 PM
Paragon
Magi

Quote:
There's an unusual amount of Windows Vista integration in the Ultimate phones. The phones will come with an application to serve as a Windows Vista Sideshow device, working as a remote control or secondary screen for a Vista PC. The Ultimate line also functions as media extenders for Windows Vista media center PCs, so you can see the Vista PC's electronic program guide or watch prerecorded TV, either through a Wi-Fi or 3G cellular connection. Using a TV application codenamed "Snowbird," aUltimate 5150 streamed recorded TV programs over Wi-Fi from a Vista PC.
Why does iMate always have to make it sound like THEY just invented the wheel and the services it provides are exclusive to them. Not to mention that at the end of it I feel like my teeth will be whiter, my breath fresher, I'll get better gas milage, and the value of my house will double.

This integration app is a Microsoft application as Darius' links point out. It's cool, but we can do most of that now, and iMate didn't invent it. There's every reason to believe that this is going to be available on many other devices as well. Plus, what's this "Snowbird" application that iMate has codenamed...(it was a guarded top secret till yesterday) I can watch pre-recorded TV programs now with nothing more than Windows Media Player. Most of the other functions they mention are available now using applications that are readily available, by using applications MS has included in every Windows Media device

I might like some of this. The Media Center Extender sound cool, but I feel the wool being pulled over my eyes by iMate every time I read something based on one of their press releases, and it overshadows the simpler truth.

My apologies right up front for what some may see as another argumentative post.

Dave

Old 02-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Tierran
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Tierran Send a message via AIM to Tierran

Not to mention I just can't get over how ugly these things are :lol:

Old 02-13-2007, 06:28 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Media Center Extenders? Reeeeealy? 8O I somehow have a hard time swallowing that the device would be a Media Center Extender in the same way that my Xbox 360 is an extender...hmm. I wonder how much of this is marketing fluff?

Old 02-13-2007, 06:44 PM
Paragon
Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
Media Center Extenders? Reeeeealy? 8O I somehow have a hard time swallowing that the device would be a Media Center Extender in the same way that my Xbox 360 is an extender...hmm. I wonder how much of this is marketing fluff?
Jason, I'm curious, have you used this "Media Center Extender" application at all, such as on your Xbox, or any other device? It sounds pretty cool. I must admit I have never heard of it till now. Have you heard anything about in on the Mobile Devices Division side? Do you know of any mobile devices that it will run on, other than iMate's claim. Your statement sounds like you are as surprised and suspicious as aonyone.

.....NDAs understood.

Dave

Old 02-13-2007, 07:04 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon
Jason, I'm curious, have you used this "Media Center Extender" application at all, such as on your Xbox, or any other device?
This is the FIRST I've EVER heard of it. I'm going to dig for more info, but it's very puzzling...

Old 02-13-2007, 07:10 PM
Paragon
Magi

Thanks, Jason. Keep us posted.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:29 PM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

"Starting June 2007 i-mate will start selling phones fully designed by i-mate engineers and manufactured according to i-mate designs in Asia. "
News Release.
So, now I-mate not ONLY DISTRIBUTOR, it makes its own phones! :roll:

Old 02-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Paragon
Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by virain
"Starting June 2007 i-mate will start selling phones fully designed by i-mate engineers and manufactured according to i-mate designs in Asia. "
News Release.
So, now I-mate not ONLY DISTRIBUTOR, it makes its own phones! :roll:
Take a look at the release. Nowhere does it mention anything remotely close to that. At least nothing I saw, after reading it twice. I'm not sure where mr.mobiles.com is getting that idea.

Dave

Old 02-14-2007, 01:38 AM
galt
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to galt

As Dave saw on HoFo, I got very excited when I first saw the announcement that i-mate was adding Media Center Extender functionality to their new devices, but after thinking about it for a while and re-reading their announcement I'm suspicious that they are referring to some other PC to device streaming functionality, not true Extender functionality. If it's truly possible, why isn't MS making this announcement about awesome integration between their just launched Vista OS and their just announced WM6 OS?

There's a big difference between native extender functionality and other work arounds, I can't wait to see how this turns out.