Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 02-08-2007, 10:00 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default Handango Enforcing Download Protection?

http://www.geardiary.com/2007/02/07...lized-extortion

"I�ve been purchasing software from Handango for about 5 years now. I�ve got purchases that go back to May of 2002. I�ve got 8163 Reward Points saved. I WAS trying to save enough points for the $200 Handango Gift Certificate (you need 20,000 points) but I think I�m going to cut my losses, cash out my points and stop buying software from them. I tried to download a title that I purchased in November and was told that if I wanted to redownload it, it would cost me $6.99US. Back home, we call that extortion."

We've had a number of threads regarding Handango over the last year with reference to their download protection scheme. For $4.99, Handango will allow you to re-download your purchased software after a 30 day grace period after your initial purchase. What many here had an issue with is that the download protection "insurance" was automatically added to your checkout basket without the customer being informed or having a chance to say no - you have to manually delete the item yourself, if you happened to notice it. It now appears that Handango is enforcing download protection (they weren't before) - you now have to pay up if you ever want to re-download your purchased software after 30 days. Chris Spera has posted a rant on this problem over at GearDiary, and covers the problem from both the perspective of a customer and a software developer. I have to personally say that I haven't an issue yet with re-downloading any of my old purchased software - but that may be just because of where I'm downloading from, which in itself brings up the question of the fairness of selective enforcement. Has anybody else had a problem with re-downloads from Handango?

Old 02-08-2007, 10:22 AM
gnad
Neophyte

Few weeks ago, I needed the previous version of Phatpad 3.xx which is no longer on the Developer site. I went to Handango to re download, but Hangdango asked for $$$. I just logged out in disgust. I've also re download other softwares which I've bought in 2005 and ealy 2006, somes of these are OK.
Since then, I had no intention to buy from Handango again. My latest purchase is from PocketGear.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Silver5
Intellectual

Generally, if the developer does not offer the product directly and does not take PayPal, I don't buy the software. I doubt I will ever buy from Handango again.

I must admit that a few years ago I bought a program that did not work as advertised and they were very nice about refunding my money. I have read too many bad things about the company and I generally dislike the site so I am going straight to the software makers. If they can't sell it directly then it is their loss.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:06 PM
buzzard
Theorist

I keep a copy of all my software products on my PC so that I don't have to use Handango. That also means I still have all older versions available if I need them. I always use the developer website if I have to...Handango is way down on my list of sources for these applications.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:19 PM
mwaldman
Neophyte
Default Handandgo.com stupid policy

I also ran into this issue.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:10 PM
ecard
Pupil

Same here, buy all new software at PocketGear. If they were offering a protection for all your software, for 5$, sure, but not for individual.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Rex
Neophyte
Default Handango...

try to post a bad review for their "top-List" products like FlexMail. It will never be published.

Try ti get a refund: Well, its up to the developer.. Only if you tell them you purchased 50 applications and will not return. And you repeat this LOAD AND CLEAR in 3 emails they will consider a refund certificate.

Hmm...

Still: Its quite convenient to buy there ... as long as they keep the download protection off...

Old 02-08-2007, 02:04 PM
SteveHoward999
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard
I keep a copy of all my software products on my PC so that I don't have to use Handango. That also means I still have all older versions available if I need them. I always use the developer website if I have to...Handango is way down on my list of sources for these applications.

Same here.

I don't like Handango's methods. Smacks of eBay - keep bumping up the prices so we can give the shareholders more dividend, so they'll buy more shares, so the share price goes up ...

Old 02-08-2007, 02:19 PM
inteller
Banned

well the solution is pretty simple, tell everyone and every board you know not to buy from handango.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:27 PM
mbranscum
Thinker

I purchased software from Handango since 2001. I have bought over 100 titles from them. Since they enabled the "download protection" <scam> several months ago, I have purchhased a whopping 2 titles from their site.

Usually, if I have to redownload, I get the trial copy and get the registration number from the developer site.

If possible, I will NOT buy from them again. Whoever dreamed this idea up wasn't very smart. I can't see it helping the company out in the long run with people like me who purchase a lot of PPC and smartphone software. But... maybe I'm in the minority! I don't know. :|