Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 02-08-2007, 01:30 AM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Microsoft Unveils Windows Mobile 6

Breaking all-new ground in the realm of worst-kept secret ever, Windows Mobile 6 (a.k.a. "Crossbow") has been officially announced by Microsoft. It's a bit earlier than 3GSM, which is where they were going to announce it originally. As such, there's nothing official to link to yet, nor do I have a swanky article all about Windows Mobile 6 because I'm waiting to get a device running the beta back from Microsoft (it's a long story).

Some of the highlights include:

� Full support for HTML email (within the limitations of IE Mobile's rendering engine of course)
� Office Mobile now included, with support for reading and editing Office documents on the Smartphone
� New streamlined functioning of email client: one click delete, reply, etc. Set email flags for follow-up.
� Set "Out of Office" function directly on the device (with an Exchange server of course)
� Windows Vista synchronization with Windows Mobile Device Center
� Calendar ribbon in the calendar application gives you the ability to see your free/busy time easier
� Windows Live client
� Call History is now a part of the contact itself, so you can see when you last phoned that person, etc.
� Internet sharing: there's a new built-in application to make using your device as a modem much easier

As per usual, this latest version of Windows Mobile is about more than just bullet points: there's a lot of background ("plumbing" work) to enable new and better devices. I've had some limited experience with Windows Mobile 6, and it's a solid step forward for the platform. There's nothing particularly amazing about it, but just like Windows Mobile 5 the total number improvements make for a better overall device. I know they've spent a lot of time improving the performance and stability of the operating system in general (which was already quite good in my opinion), but the real test will be the devices.

Everyone is wondering about upgrades I'm sure, but just like last time, it's too early to say what each of the OEMs are going to be doing - but stay tuned here for the official information as we get it!

Old 02-08-2007, 01:45 AM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

HTML email support is what I am most excited about. I could not use FlexMail as it did not support Exchange Activesync (for HTML email). I will run it against my soon to be updated Exchange 2007 server (currently 2003).

Question from anyone who has used it as it was not clear in any of the online reviews. When replying to HTML email, is the response also in HTML?

Old 02-08-2007, 02:08 AM
TOCA
Intellectual

Second that: HTML mail is what I've been waiting for since 2004 8)

Can hardly wait any more :wink:

Old 02-08-2007, 02:15 AM
murph
Ponderer

what about a "mark all as read" option?

Old 02-08-2007, 02:36 AM
huangzhinong
Philosopher

I have been using WM6 for 2 month now, and I have to say I am very impressed. There is one thing the post didn't mention: speed. WM6 is much faster than WM5. HTML email, smartdialing (smarter than HTC smartdialer 1.0), becautiful icons, new email wizard and fast responses make it a must-have upgrade for WM5 users. BTW, the updated calendar is very nice too.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:31 AM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

I'll be interested to see what OEMs offer this as an upgrade. I'd assume it's easier to upgrade to WM6 than it was to upgrade to WM5 2 years back (at least, it seems to me that it would be...). I predict that some devices with fairly flexible hardware will have some...unofficial... upgrades created. If I had to place bets on who will and won't be getting an update, I'd have to put my money squarely on the Treos Not getting an update due to the amount of customization Palm has done to WM5. I'd also doubt that the iPaq 69xx series will get an upgrade.

Devices that may get an upgrade? Honestly I have no idea, but I wouldn't be surpised if only new devices will have WM6 Of course, this is just speculation!

Old 02-08-2007, 04:52 AM
Lex
Sage

BUT - - Will alarms and reminders sound on time and does 'X' really close ?

Old 02-08-2007, 05:18 AM
Avalanche
Neophyte
Default WM6

Hey!

Are we just going to ignore Huangzhinong's
comment?

Using it for 2 month(s) now!

How do we get it?

Old 02-08-2007, 05:22 AM
SteveHoward999
Pontificator

2 years and everybody wets their pants over HTML email? The only email I get that 'needs' to be viewed as HTML is the SPAM. If this is the only thing your average user is going to be excited about, I'll be happily avoiding this version ..

Old 02-08-2007, 05:23 AM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnoB
HTML email support is what I am most excited about. I could not use FlexMail as it did not support Exchange Activesync (for HTML email). I will run it against my soon to be updated Exchange 2007 server (currently 2003).

Question from anyone who has used it as it was not clear in any of the online reviews. When replying to HTML email, is the response also in HTML?
I believe it is a read-only HTML, using PIE to render. Don't think an HTML composition window is part of the package. So, you can't send out more than plain text, but when you get a newsletter, you can at least see something resembling what was intended. In fact, if you click on the link that allows you to edit the HTML that came in as part of your reply, it converts it to text at that point.

And no... X is still not close. :?

Still, it is an overall smoother feel than WM5. They spent some time in the email area.