Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 02-07-2007, 04:30 AM
Paul Martin
Editor Emeritus
Default My Travel Gear And What You Can Use Your Pocket PC For When Traveling

http://solsie.com/my-travel-gear-an...when-traveling/

"Readers who follow this blog closely would realize that Solsie has been making all the posts until recently as I was away for my winter holidays. During this time, I had gone home to Malaysia and made trips to Singapore, Barcelona and Venice. As the title of this post suggests, I would like to share with you what gadgets I brought along with me and how they were a essential part of my trips."

By now, a Pocket PC has become an essential device for my trips. It's always interesting to see how someone else uses theirs, especially while traveling. Is it just me, though, or does it seem like the more "mobile" we get, the more we need to pack extra batteries, cables, chargers, and other support items for our "mobile" devices that make us much less mobile? :lol: How do you remain mobile on trips and cut the cable-creep?

Old 02-07-2007, 07:49 AM
Paragon
Magi
Default Re: My Travel Gear And What You Can Use Your Pocket PC For When Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Martin
How do you remain mobile on trips and cut the cable-creep?
I use:
UT6700...mini USB connector
GPSlim236...mini USB connector
Moto H500 BT headset...mini USB connector
Moto HT820 BT headphones...mini USB connector
Canon A95 Camera...mini USB connector

ONE charger with a retractable cable. NO tangles.

Dave

Old 02-07-2007, 10:14 AM
tom dunne
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to tom dunne
Default Re: My Travel Gear And What You Can Use Your Pocket PC For When Traveling

Quote:
How do you remain mobile on trips and cut the cable-creep?
On my recent trip to New York, I got to try out pretty much all the features of my O2 Atom - mp3's, video, WiFi, camera, oh, and of course phone. The fact that it has all these features means that the only cables I had to bring were the headset and the power adapter.

Much better than lugging around numerous devices and cables.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:12 PM
azhiker
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to azhiker
Default Travel Light

For any trip I take USB cable and mini-plug for AC/DC, one exta battery, and folding keyboard. The two batteries easily get me through most business days. I then charge both batteries overnight by swapping them out in the Axim.

I of course also bring earplugs for music, but need nothing else. :?

Old 02-08-2007, 01:59 AM
TOCA
Intellectual

In the summer of 2005 I was hospitalised for 2 full months, and boy did I love my litle iPAQ h2210, and my BT enabled SE Phone.

Being locked up in such a lowtech place with no Internet and 1!! poweroutlet on a 4 bed room, makes you realise how much your PPC can realy do for you :?

In one pocket of my bag, I had all the entertainment, and timekillers, that I needed, to get through those months, without loosing contact to the outside world, eaven made a couple of articles for the danish PPC community, on the iPAQ, connecting to the world via my GPRS subscription.

On the SD card I had: 5 Novels (MS Reader), 20 games, AvantGo, and a RSS reader, plus a "small" collection of MP3 music.

Without my PPC, I would deffenately have been ready for another kind of hospital, after such a long time, in a lowtech enviroment :?

Yeah I know, I'm a geek, and so what :mrgreen:

Old 02-08-2007, 04:03 AM
Paul Martin
Editor Emeritus

Wow..that's not exactly the "trip" I was thinking of, but amazing how handy these can become! So, did you update Avantgo with your BT connection to the phone? Did you do OK sharing the outlet with others?

Paul

Old 02-08-2007, 09:32 AM
isajoo
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to isajoo

well, got back from england last week... went for 10 days. 1st trip with the ppc. WOW. it is sooo amazing to have a ppc. 8 hours of tv content, 2 movies and hours of music. plus over 30 games. did not find 1 minute of bordem. luckly family i stayed with had wifi internet. they where all on their laptops and i would be walking around with 1 hand reading email or surfing(at one point my 2 neices were fighting over using the ppc for msn/games). even getting better battery life then their laptops.took 2 batteries in case. but only really needed 1. charged them with usb cable. listening to mp3's, watching video. it was amazing. i think at one point i forgot i was in london. felt like home. thanks to whoever invented the ppc and wifi. great device. better than any laptop. all i carried onto the plane was the ppc in 1 pocket and the earbuds, extra battery and sync usb cable in the other. no carry on. perfect.
was going to try skype to call home, but phone cards are dirt cheap there. $5 got u over 1500 mins. could not even use 300.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:40 PM
TOCA
Intellectual

Quote:
Wow..that's not exactly the "trip" I was thinking of, but amazing how handy these can become! So, did you update Avantgo with your BT connection to the phone? Did you do OK sharing the outlet with others?

Paul
Yup AG and RSS was updated dayly via BT on the phone 8)

I'm using Running Voice GSM for that connection:
http://www.pocketpresence.com/rvgsm.asp
A "Must have" for nonconverged PPC's

The outlet was a problem in the beginning, but after a week, one of my friends provided me with a extender cable, with 4 outlets, so we could share the limitted power