Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 04-18-2007, 04:00 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Innobec SideWindow Review

Product Category: Utility Software
Manufacturer: Innobec Technologies
Where to Buy: PocketGear [Affiliate]
Price: $14.95 USD
System Requirements: Windows 2000, XP, XP64, Pentium II and later, ActiveSync 3.7.1 or later. ActiveSync 3.8 recommended. WM 5 not officially supported - however this review was done using a WM 5 device.

Pros:
  • Easy Setup;
  • Zoom feature allows ultimate flexibility;
  • Unofficially WM 5 compatible.

Cons:
  • Lack of options;
  • Startup time;
  • Unofficially WM 5 compatible.

Summary:
    My desktop computer has a lot going on at any given time. While multiple monitors are nice to use, I eternally find myself switching from a multi-monitor setup to single monitor due to size constraints. Perhaps my pocket sized friend can be of aid - after all, it has a screen and can sit cradled next to my monitor. But can it really be useful as a productivity aid? Or is the work Innobec devoted to allowing it to be my second monitor reduced to nothing more than a mere novelty?
    Read on for the full review!

A Real Second Monitor!
    I was very curious about how Innobec pulled off this sort of setup. The idea of putting a large desktop screen onto the small size of a PDA seemed amazing enough, but the software backend seemed to be even more daunting. However, as soon as I installed SideWindow, I found out the secret - the PDA actually appears to Windows as a second monitor, allowing Windows to work with it exactly how it would work with any other multi-monitor setup. This is a clever and (relatively) bug-free implementation, much better than a custom written driver that would do the job without using Windows' built in tools.

Figure 1: Multiple Monitors - My Compaq already has 2 monitors defined (the LCD and an external). In this diagram, 1 is my LCD, 2 is SideWindow, and 3 is the (detatched) external monitor.

However, just because it uses part of the Windows display system doesn't mean that Windows trusts the software though. Those of you using the Windows built-in firewall will get a prompt to unblock SideWindow. This is because the desktop software interacts with the client over TCP/IP (via Activesync) which makes the interaction between the user and the PDA as smooth as the user & the monitor. I noticed no lag whatsoever while dragging items from one window to the other - pretty remarkable. No hesitation in this software. The software does take about 15 seconds or so to setup and run. This seems a bit slow, but given all the software does, I suppose 15 seconds isn't too long to wait!

Figure 2: Let my traffic go! Be sure to unblock SideWindow!

Zooming In and Out
    To make SideWindow useful, Innobec has added a Zooming function that allows you to tune your small screen with the aid of a virtual magnifying glass. The pictures below tell the story. To get these images I dragged my "My Documents" folder over to the second window and changed the magnification from 768x1024 to 480x640 and finally to 240x320. So, depending on your usages you can either have it fully zoomed in or you can zoom out and get a bigger picture!

Figure 3: 768x1024 View (Click to see the whole picture).

Figure 4: 480x640 View (Click to see the whole picture).

Figure 5: 240x320 View (Click to see the whole picture).

Options
    SideWindow doesn't have any real frills when it comes to options. The product does what it does, but doesn't add anything unnecessary. A landscape option exists, and you can reduce the depth of color per pixel to speed up rendering. However, in my tests, I did not need to reduce the color depth to get excellent performance. You can also choose to run the client on connection, and keep the backlight on continuously on the device. Nice and simple - nothing too complex here!

Figure 6: SideWindow settings.

Windows Mobile 5 Compatibility
    Innobec's website does not list Windows Mobile 5 as a compatible operating system (much less Windows Mobile 6!). However, in testing (with my I-mate JasJar), I found the only hiccup came with leaving the device in landscape mode. Once I switched to Portrait mode, the software ran without a hitch. The lesson to take from this is, be sure to test this software before you buy it. While Innobec doesn't state they won't support WM 5 support requests, it probably isn't realistic to expect them to. Buyer beware!

Conclusions
    Overall I'm extremely happy with the performance of SideWindow. It works as advertised and has the potential to add a lot more functionality to your desktop without requiring too much more in the way of price or desktop real estate. Innovative idea, and I hope to see Innobec continue development to WM 5 and WM 6.

Jon Westfall is an enigma of social influences and norms. Check out JonWestfall.Com for more than you want to know about him.
  •  
    Old 04-19-2007, 02:36 AM
    GRBrian
    Neophyte

This looks cool. Although I'd have to think about how I would use it. However, I already use two monitors.....so, does anyone know if this can function as a third monitor?

Cheers,
    Brian

Old 04-19-2007, 05:19 AM
    RSH
    Neophyte

I use an app called Synergy that lets me use many displays with one keyboard and mouse across many computers.

Here is a pic of my home office http://mbu.com/black/. The Synergy app lets me move from the laptop with a 15" 1440x1050 display to a desktop PC with dual 22" 1680x1050 displays to a HTPC connected to dual 32" 1368x720p displays. It would be great if I could also use the 3.5" 320x240 display on my PPC in this config.

The PPC with MS Direct Push email would let me send corporate emails with out a VPN. It would be great to be able to use the mouse and keyboard to control my PPC to send emails.

RSH

Old 04-19-2007, 05:22 AM
    alese
    Philosopher

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GRBrian
    This looks cool. Although I'd have to think about how I would use it. However, I already use two monitors.....so, does anyone know if this can function as a third monitor?

Cheers,
    Brian
    Yes it can function as third monitor, but last time I have used it, it was just too slow for my taste...

Old 04-19-2007, 05:55 AM
    Jon Westfall
    Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alese
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GRBrian

Cheers,
    Brian
    Yes it can function as third monitor, but last time I have used it, it was just too slow for my taste...
    I personally didn't notice any slowdown, so I suspect this may be processor / memory based. You can always try it with your system and see if it works quick enough for you.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:16 AM
    martin_ayton
    Thinker

I have had SideWindow for a while and, whilst I don't always use it, I wouldn't be without it. I normally park things like my IM window on it so I can see who is online without taking up monitor real-estate. It's also pretty good at handling the task manager window.

Simple though it is, its method of connectivity allows some interesting functionality: For instance, it works pretty effectively across an activesync connection via bluetooth. That means that you can park your media player window on your PDA and then wander across your office and use it as a remote. The way my office is set up, I actually do use it that way quite often.

I have even used it as a window for video conferencing, but the speed is an issue in that circumstance and it isn't comfortable. Don't even think about trying *that* across a bluetooth connection :lol:

A nice piece of software all round.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:51 PM
    Optronic
    Neophyte

One of the things I really like and would be a definite pro for the software is its compatibility. It helps bring new life to older systems when they're not in use. My trusty HP Jornada 545 can now be an extra small monitor (I have 2 regular monitors as well), which I tend to use for SSH, notepad, IRC, a mini web browser, media player or virtual TV remote (I have an IR sender on my PC). Really useful application, I only wish they could fix connecting two PDAs up to it - they both connect, but both show the same display at the moment

One thing that is a little frustrating is a few bugs, like if it is sent a lot of data over a short period continously, the display freezes until you change an option every now and again

Old 04-19-2007, 02:07 PM
    GRBrian
    Neophyte

o.k., now you got me exited....I'll download and try this over the weekend.

Will let you know how it went next week.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:41 PM
    peekok
    Neophyte
    Default HTC Universal WM 5.0 / XP SP2 crash

It was said in the article that this program is not WM5 compatible. I've got XDA EXEC (aka HTC Universal) running Windows Mobile 5.0 and I can confirm -- It's not compatible.

Furthermore, it's dangerous!

I have installed the trial version, and after system restart my XP was unable to start at all! I had to boot up using recovery mode to get rid of Innobec SideWindow. One restart later, everything was fine, so that first fatal crash in my life was SideWindow's fault.

I do regret. I'd love to use such programs. I'm alreaady a long-time user of SOTI Pocket Informant Proffesional and did not have any problems with it whatsoever.

Does anyone have similar experiences or advice how to make it run?

Old 04-19-2007, 10:18 PM
    Dyvim
    Sage

It works for me, but the thing that drives me nuts is that whatever windows you drag over onto the PDA "desktop" pop back onto your main display anytime the ActiveSync connection is broken. Then when you reconnect and start SideWindow again, you need to drag those windows back over again. Repeat this every single time you disconnect and reconnect... and eventually its just not worth it. I understand why the windows need to return to the main display when the 2nd display is removed, but I wish the desktop component could remember where your windows were on disconnect and have an option to put them back there on reconnect.

Also the landscape mode is left-handed not right-handed. There should be an option to choose between them.

Seems like SideWindow is not being actively developed. Last version is 10/2005.