Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 01-28-2007, 03:30 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default HTC Athena Specifications

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2007...ull-spec-sheet/

"We all have heard about the HTC X7500 right? Here's a full spec sheet right from HTC and guess what? It has a tri-band UMTS/HSDPA radio contrary to other initial reports. This baby will fly in the US! (HTC OEM version atleast) It weighs a hefty 355g, sports a high powered LED for the camera flash and has GPS built-in. Download the full PDF below!"

The Boy Genius has got his hands on the official spec sheet for the HTC Athena. The good news: it looks like triband UMTS/HSDPA, just like the Hermes. Check it out!

Old 01-28-2007, 12:38 PM
kamikun
Ponderer

If you listen very carefully, you just may hear the silent, soulful, gentle weeping of my Toshiba e800 as it ponders its inevitable journey to the "Plastic Case Under the Sofa for Unloved PDAs."

... known around here as PPC Stovokor.

Man, I hope those memory specs are right...
/these Athena posts are just turning into blatant PDA pR0n!

Old 01-28-2007, 06:05 PM
yvilla
Theorist

I'm with you kamikun! My poor e800 may finally have met it's successor too.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:56 PM
jaytee
Pupil

US release? Now I am really want to get one!

Old 01-28-2007, 09:47 PM
follick
Ponderer

It looks very nice, but as big as it is, why only a miniSD slot? I would miss the CF & SD slots in my e800. I would also like to see what kind of battery life it gets. My e800 with the 5800 mAh Mugen battery runs all day no matter what. That's also the main downside to me of the UMPC's. It would be hard to go from ~20 hours on the battery to ~3.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:20 PM
TOCA
Intellectual
Default Too much

Too big for a phone
Too big for a PPC
Too small for a Laptop
Too small for a UMPC
Too cool to not like it :wink:
Too cool not to be flashed on a coffeeshop table 8)

Old 01-29-2007, 04:06 PM
vilasman
Pupil

I too am all in lust over this baby, hoping that t-mobile will pick it up. I am also hot and bothered over the xda flame as well. But here is my real question, right now it seems that the athena/ameo/7500 will be in the same price range as the oqo version 2. The 7500 and the oqo have the same sized screen. They do have different keyboard form factors, and the oqo ver2 keyboard will be easier not to loose, which will be important.
BUT....
What software platform would you prefer? Mobile or XP/Vista....
Now I am by no means a power user.... but 90% of the time, if i had a functional excuse for ms office, which softmaker probably provides, then, ppc software will do what i want, it's instant on and longer battery life. Can think of a situation where a majority of the population would need more?

Old 01-29-2007, 05:15 PM
Dyvim
Sage

I agree with follick: there's no excuse for a device of this large size (for a PPC) to not have dual CF+SD (preferably SDHC) slots. If it had that, the expansion possibilities would be awesome.

Otherwise, it looks very nice. I've been waiting for a WM5 device with 128 MB RAM, fast processor, and a big VGA screen.

But the price will probably be a dealbreaker here in the U.S.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:55 PM
vilasman
Pupil

Yes the athena is $1500-2000 and yes a umpc is about the same.
In my mind and I cam just a casual observer... but mind you, it's us casual observers that have to buy these things in order to make them succeed...
The ppc platform is a more mature and more stable platform than the UMPC that is still trying to figure out where and how it is going to fit in.
If you buy an athena or a flame you will have to the top dog ppc for several years to come. Much like the 4700 has been top dog for the past 2-3 years if not more.
IF you actually use/enjoy the athena or the flame for that time period the cost maybe justifyable

Old 01-30-2007, 05:41 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor

From all the information we've received so far, the Athena will retail for about US$1200 or thereabouts, which while pretty high is just about 20% higher than the Universal when it first launched.