Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 01-26-2007, 07:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default 7-Inch UMPC from HTC Expected in Q2

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20070126PD204.html

"High Tech Computer (HTC) is currently developing its second UMPC (ultra mobile PC), with the new product likely to be launched in the second quarter of this year, according to market sources. HTC's second UMPC, which the company prefers to call a "Mobile Office Device," will have a 7-inch display, the sources noted."

There's not much to go on here, but it's time for a break from Athena news, no? Market sources indicate that HTC has a new UMPC up its sleeve - this time, with a 7" display. It's not yet certain whether the device will be powered by Windows Mobile or a full-fledged version of Windows, so we'll simply have to wait and see.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:11 PM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

I would rather see HTC consentraiting on something that they are really good of - Developing and improving PPC phones 0X

Old 01-26-2007, 09:30 PM
thelittlemaster
Neophyte

IMO a 7" UMPC running Windows Mobile would be ridiculous and considering the prices being thrown around for the Athena at the moment, I wouldn't even want to think of what this might eventually go for.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:19 PM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

Running Windows Mobile on a 7" LCD would be silly. Just too big for the OS to utilize.

However, I'm currently use a TabletKiosk UMPC i7200 and I told someone yesterday, am 85% happy with it. Battery life being the biggest issue, Bluetooth not implemented as well as it should be and the WiFi range is horrible. A boot speed improvement would certainly be nice.. That 30GB solid state drive by Sandisk looks awfully tempting. A better built-in camera would be good. Lastly, a wireless/BT keyboard with ONLY 1 Fn key(or none would be better), with a built in trackpad/mouse that is completely foldable would be icing on the cake.

Currently, I love the weight at 1.75lbs, size at just about the size of a paperback and less than half as thin, screen quality, hard disk capacity at 60GB, 1GB RAM, 2 USB slots, MicroSD card slot and the overall sturdiness of the product.

With HTC's expertise in cell technology, I hope they're not tempted to implement it in a UMPC formfactor. While it certainly has it's advantages, it's just too expensive to have a cell account purely for data. Also, it locks in that device to a particular cell technology. With all of the shuffling around these days, I don't think that would be beneficial to them.

I hope they concentrate on the issues I've outlined. Like I said, I'm 85% happy with mine. I think it's AWESOME for such an immature technology and a 100% user satisfaction rating is right around the corner.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:23 PM
signothefish
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelittlemaster
IMO a 7" UMPC running Windows Mobile would be ridiculous and considering the prices being thrown around for the Athena at the moment, I wouldn't even want to think of what this might eventually go for.
Absolutely agreed. UMPCs (the definition of which, BTW is getting blurrier over time) may have been all the buzz at CES 2K7, but mark my word, if they don't either become lightning fast or their prices don't drop considerably, they will die. And for pete's sake, don't put Windows Mobile on them! After all, the whole idea behind UMPCs is to replace your laptop, not your mobile phone.

Another problem is that too many Windows Mobile phones have the same features (evidence of little innovation), yet they are still too complicated for the average consumer to use. They obviously need to change course here, and I'm pretty sure making larger devices with Windows Mobile is not the smart way to go. Something they've been striving for over the last few years, and forsaking all else, is convergence. Boy do they have that down pat now! It's obviously time to innovate. When it comes to converged devices, the majority of consumers are obviously not as interested in features as they are ease-of-use. HTC is better off doing similar to what Apple is doing with the iPhone... making devices simpler to use (read: touch-screen controls) and marketing the daylights out of them. That's why I was disappointed to hear they didn't have plans to mimic the iPhone.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:49 PM
caywen
Intellectual
Send a message via MSN to caywen
Default I agree

Unless they have something extraordinary, I'd hate to see them fumble in such a tricky market like UMPC. I agree with the iPhone sentiment, they should find a way to close the coolness gap.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:43 AM
alese
Philosopher

I'm not sure what they have in mind, but if they do a 7" Universal type device with Origami specifications and UMTS it would be really cool.

Old 01-27-2007, 03:03 AM
JesterMania
Thinker

I, too, like most others hope this UMPC will not be WM-based if it is 7"+ in size. I've never really understood the idea of the Athena in the first place. If someone has a WM-based phone, why would they want to carry another piece of equipment that duplicates that functionality? I'd much rather carry a WM-based phone and a XP/Vista-based UMPC than to carry both WM-based devices - it just doesn't make much sense to me.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:30 AM
luzofan
Neophyte

The HTC UMPC rumor already floating around in Taiwan forums for months. The project starts in 2005, running regular PC OS on VIA platform.

Old 01-27-2007, 05:56 PM
signothefish
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzofan
The HTC UMPC rumor already floating around in Taiwan forums for months. The project starts in 2005, running regular PC OS on VIA platform.
Has there been any discussion on price point? You mean, the project started in 2005, right? If it's running regular PC OS, chances are it will end up being Vista.