Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 01-24-2007, 09:41 PM
Paul Martin
Editor Emeritus
Default Microsoft Voice Command 1.6 Reviewed on The Two Inch View

http://www.twoinchview.com/124-micr...and-16-reviewed

"Listening to music is delightfully easy: using a pair of Helium Digital HDBT-700 Bluetooth headphones, I activated Voice Command and said �Play music�. The software responded by asking me if I wanted to play a certain artist, a certain album, or anything (meaning all music). I verbally responded with �Anything� and a few seconds later Windows Media Player 10 Mobile started up on my T-Mobile Dash and music filled my ears. It�s just as easy to say �Play The Beatles� (artist name), or �Play Bleed American� (album name) and it will queue up the music."

Jason Dunn reviews Microsoft Voice Command 1.6 [affiliate link] on his Windows Mobile blog. When I first got my Jornada, it came with Mobile Conversay, which worked OK, but the commands it recognized were so simple, it was easier to just tap on the screen to get it done. Voice Command is definitely an improvement, with it's voice-controlled media integration, but I'd still love to see it read my e-mails and maybe even ebooks while I drive to work. If you use Voice Command, what's your favorite use for the software?

Old 01-24-2007, 10:56 PM
trevleyb
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to trevleyb
Default Great piece of software

Once you get used to using Voice Command, I find you can't live without it.

One of the best uses is looking up people. For example, before I would do the following steps:

1. Turn on Pocket PC
2. Take out stylus
3. Click Start->Contacts
4. In the Search Box type in the first or last name of a contact
5. Click on the contact to bring up details

Now, I just press the Voice Command button and say "lookup bla bla" and the details come up. It gets it right 24 out of 25 times (or more) --- actually, I am amazed at how accurate it is in finding information.

The other use is dialing. Same deal, I just say "Dial bla bla on mobile" and it asks to confirm that it has it right and I am away. No more doing the steps above and then selecting dial.

I tried Voice Command for the trial and had to buy it just for this. Mind you, I do feel like a nerd talking to my handheld ;-)

Trevor

Old 01-24-2007, 11:26 PM
Paul Martin
Editor Emeritus
Default Re: Great piece of software

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevleyb
Now, I just press the Voice Command button and say "lookup bla bla" and the details come up. It gets it right 24 out of 25 times (or more) --- actually, I am amazed at how accurate it is in finding information...Mind you, I do feel like a nerd talking to my handheld ;-)
Trevor
Ahh, yes. The nerd factor. I felt weird as well! Thanks for the feedback. So, are you using either a smartphone or phone using Windows Mobile?

Old 01-24-2007, 11:33 PM
shoey5
Neophyte

I agree, this is an amazing application, and once you use it you can't live without it. One thing to add is that Voice Command 1.6 adds much improved voice recognition support with direct bluetooth support built in.

With that said If he was reviewing an mp3 player this would be a great general review of Voice Command 1.6. But reviewing a Windows Mobile PHONE he completely missed out on one very very important point that renders the program useless for what it was really designed for. And that is Microsoft Voice Command 1.6 even with added Bluetooth support does not work using a mono bluetooth headset on a number of popular WM5 Pocket PC/Smartphones including the HTC Trinity, HTC Hermes, Palm Treo 700w, 700wx, 700v....and the list goes on.

Old 01-25-2007, 01:56 AM
q-live
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoey5
I agree, this is an amazing application, and once you use it you can't live without it. One thing to add is that Voice Command 1.6 adds much improved voice recognition support with direct bluetooth support built in.

With that said If he was reviewing an mp3 player this would be a great general review of Voice Command 1.6. But reviewing a Windows Mobile PHONE he completely missed out on one very very important point that renders the program useless for what it was really designed for. And that is Microsoft Voice Command 1.6 even with added Bluetooth support does not work using a mono bluetooth headset on a number of popular WM5 Pocket PC/Smartphones including the HTC Trinity, HTC Hermes, Palm Treo 700w, 700wx, 700v....and the list goes on.

not even using my logitech bluetooth i bought 2 years ago on my xv6700 ????????

Old 01-25-2007, 02:01 AM
trevleyb
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to trevleyb
Default Re: Great piece of software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Martin
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevleyb
Now, I just press the Voice Command button and say "lookup bla bla" and the details come up. It gets it right 24 out of 25 times (or more) --- actually, I am amazed at how accurate it is in finding information...Mind you, I do feel like a nerd talking to my handheld ;-)
Trevor
Ahh, yes. The nerd factor. I felt weird as well! Thanks for the feedback. So, are you using either a smartphone or phone using Windows Mobile?
I'm using a Windows Mobile 5.0 device (O2 Atom Exec) which is a very nice device. I have not tried Voice Command with my bluetooth headset yet. I tried version with version 1.5 and it did not work, and I have not gotten around to trying with the 1.6 version. Thinks: Must do that ...... :wink:

Old 01-25-2007, 03:17 AM
mbranscum
Thinker
Default Re: Microsoft Voice Command 1.6 Reviewed on The Two Inch View

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Martin
Jason Dunn reviews Microsoft Voice Command 1.6 [affiliate link] on his personal site.
Actually, this isn't Jason's personal site...is it?

Old 01-25-2007, 03:39 AM
Paul Martin
Editor Emeritus
Default Re: Microsoft Voice Command 1.6 Reviewed on The Two Inch View

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbranscum
Actually, this isn't Jason's personal site...is it?
I think of the Two Inch View as his personal site since he's the only one that blogs for it, though it is sponsored by Microsoft which enables it to be advertising free. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear so I reworded it above. His personal random-thoughts blog can be found here. Thanks for helping me clear that up.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:52 AM
q-live
Thinker

does it run good off of the card

Old 01-25-2007, 06:42 AM
Eriq Cook
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Eriq Cook Send a message via Skype™ to Eriq Cook

Dialing numbers and looking up contacts is my #1 use for VoiceCommand. I can't live without it. It's incredibly accurate and requires no training out-the-box. It sets the standard for mobile voice recognition technology.

A few small tips that have made VoiceCommand even easier to use:

- VoiceCommand seems to recognize "cell" better than "mobile". So I just say "Call X on cell" instead (it's not documented)
- You can say "one eight hundred" instead of "one, eight, zero, zero"
- You can even say "Yeah" instead "yes" lol

I've even programmed an "IP Address" contact (for Windows remote desktop), so all I have to say is "Show I.P. address" since I can't remember all the time. I've also programmed a list of jazz clubs and other entertainment spots in the Denver area, so I just say "Show Denver jazz clubs" or "Show comedy clubs" if I'm out on the town.

Features I would love to see in the very near future would be:

- Ability to ask what future appointments you have on any day up to three months. Current it only allows next day. I'd like to say "what are my appointments February third"
- Ability to say "thousand" when dialing numbers. So I can say "Dial 625-three thousand" instead of saying six, two, five, three, zero, zero, zero.

I know it's a long way off but I can't wait until we have the ability to write emails, input calendar appointments (using names already in your address book), and input new phone numbers in contact items by voice. It'd be cool to be able to say "New appointment - March first, three p.m. - Subject, John Doe". lol

The Apple iPhone would be killer if it had this technology with its screen-only input.