Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 01-17-2007, 05:30 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default HTC: "We Won't Mimic iPhone"

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07...dsiphone_1.html

"'It's a pretty eye-catching design,' said Peter Chou, president and chief executive officer of HTC, during an interview at the International Consumer Electronics Show, but 'we have our own cool stuff coming out as well.' HTC has no plans to follow Apple into the music-handset business, he said, and nor will his company try to mimic the new design. HTC has also not been in discussions with Microsoft over a Zune mobile phone, he said...'We need to differentiate ourselves. We will not be successful if we are a copy cat,' he said."

Good for HTC! I think they deserve credit for pushing the envelope of PDAs and "smart phones" for the last few years. While Apple has certainly thrown down a design gauntlet, not only is it impractical for HTC to imitate them (patents, Windows Mobile platform), it's far better that they carve out their own path. Real innovation on multiple fronts is what will truly help customers long-term, not some cheap knockoff I'm sure we will see forthcoming in the next year or so.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:49 AM
Tierran
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Tierran Send a message via AIM to Tierran

Not to mention, I think that while the iPhone looks pretty...so does the Razr. But the people who buy pretty phones aren't the type of people who buy smartphones & windows mobile phones.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:36 AM
Phoenix
Sage

I think there are some real attractive WM phones and SP's out there! If there weren't, I wouldn't buy them!

And I'm glad to see that HTC is trying to innovate and be original in their thinking. That's cool. They can compete and still take some other routes.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:38 AM
alese
Philosopher

They don't need to copy iPhone, but using some of the stuff, like multitouch screen, integration/interface between multimedia viewers/players, 4GB and beyond of storage... would be very nice.

I know that Microsoft has to participate also, but at least some things could be done by HTC alone.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:42 AM
Eriq Cook
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to Eriq Cook Send a message via Skype™ to Eriq Cook

I think HTC will remain on good path. I would hate to see an iPhone inspired HTC device (this would only happen in the twilight zone anyway). I like the iPhone and will eventually get one, but I'll never make it my primary device. I love the MDA/8525-like devices due to the slide-out keyboard (I'll never own another smartphone/Pocket PC phone without a keyboard), stylus to hand write notes and hardware buttons to access certain features easily without looking at the screen.

It sucks that HTC's stock plummeted after the iPhone announcement but I"m sure it'll come back up soon after the awe wears off. Though the interface is "ahead of its time" IMO, there's many things I don't like about the iPhone, nor does it do speech recognition (MS Voice Command is by far the best speech recognition software available IMO). Imagine trying to use a device with touch-screen only input and no hardware buttons or voice recognition.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:16 AM
beq
Oracle

I also wonder about the iPhone's multi-touch screen technology. How does it work, and why don't other PDAs (such as PPCs) have it?

It would seem to really open up the range of gesture commands that you can do, for example...

Old 01-17-2007, 12:14 PM
beedee
Pupil
Default No need to copy iphone, but there are things that need to be addressed!

I fully agree that there is no use in trying to copy Apple's iphone. I think the functionality of WM5/PPC phones is quite good with separate keyboards and navi-keys. It remains to be seen if the Apple approach of doing everything through the screen will be successful.

But is it really too much to ask to finally see a well designed PPC-phone in the market? Has anybody at the current producers ever had a worldclass-designer commissioned for their products? Is it too much to ask to come up with products that fit the lifestyle of modern, design-oriented people? Looking at how design/lifestyle-oriented the mobile-phone market in Asia an Europe is, what are the managers of PPC producers do the whole day if the simply miss out to recognize this and build this into their own products?

Second thing that is also completely unbelievable: why are we still stuck with the 64/128MB memory configuration? 4/8GB is what we really need (minimum). Why do we always have to wait for Apple coming up with these things before the Windows guys get their buts up moving?

Old 01-17-2007, 01:19 PM
Yata
Pupil

Quote:
We will not be successful if we are a copy cat
Yes, the naming scheme you chose for the TyTN, MTeoR etc. was very original. :roll:

Old 01-17-2007, 01:51 PM
signothefish
Intellectual
Default Re: HTC: "We Won't Mimic iPhone"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
I think they deserve credit for pushing the envelope of PDAs and "smart phones" for the last few years.
Haha, Janak. I think you misplaced those quotes. Maybe you meant:
I think they deserve credit for "pushing the envelope" of PDAs and smart phones for the last few years.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:02 PM
JesterMania
Thinker
Default Re: No need to copy iphone, but there are things that need to be addressed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beedee
Second thing that is also completely unbelievable: why are we still stuck with the 64/128MB memory configuration? 4/8GB is what we really need (minimum). Why do we always have to wait for Apple coming up with these things before the Windows guys get their buts up moving?
Well, that's common to every market in which a single firm faces no challengers. As long as people can make money out of 64/128 configurations they will continue to do so until revenues are exhausted. Then, they will slap on a VGA screen, redesign the casing or whatnot and continue to make money. After all, why would you even bother designing something better when you're selling boatloads and boatloads of your current product successfully and there's no competitor who can match you? Wait until your current line goes out of style/demand, then continue to innovate. That's the great thing about competition. You get someone like Apple here that makes the 4-8GB devices and that pushes people such as Microsoft and HTC to step up their specs/design as well. Long live a competitive market. :lol: