Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 01-09-2007, 09:00 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default Unconfirmed HTC Omni Specifications

http://www.solopalmari.com/content/view/2653/2/

"According to several rumors, Omni had been set aside by HTC in favour of other models. We have however received infos from an undisclosed source from abroad, that HTC Omni exists, and has unprecetended features for to PDA phone."

Let the rumour mill begin! Solopalmari has received some information regarding the super-secret HTC Omni, which while unconfirmed does give some form to the on-again, off-again successor to the Universal. The most intriguing tidbit is that the Omni will have dual displays, much like a standard clamshell phone, with a 4" 800x480 internal display. That makes me wonder just how big this device will be given the previously leaked info that it will be smaller and lighter than Universal. Other goodies include Bluetooth 2.0, 128MB RAM (finally!), and support for EDGE/UMTS/HSDPA. Catch the translation here.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:47 AM
virain
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to virain

I guess that is era of WM comming to an end, era UMPC is comming as new Vista devices come in play, Check out new OQO O2, it has EVDO from Sprint, and there are rumors they are in talks with other carriers.
http://www.oqo.com/store/shop.cgi/op/op_index.html

Old 01-09-2007, 09:58 AM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

No 3D acceleration?

Old 01-09-2007, 01:30 PM
alese
Philosopher

If it's really smaller and lighter than Universal and with secondary display, maybe it will be more usable as a phone.
What I would also like to see is phone keyboard on the outside, like nokia Communicator Series. So you don't need to open the device to make a call.

One thing makes me wonder, why would Omni have 4" 800x480 display and much bigger (more expensive) Athena would only have 5" 640x480 display?

Old 01-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alese
If it's really smaller and lighter than Universal and with secondary display, maybe it will be more usable as a phone.
What I would also like to see is phone keyboard on the outside, like nokia Communicator Series. So you don't need to open the device to make a call.

One thing makes me wonder, why would Omni have 4" 800x480 display and much bigger (more expensive) Athena would only have 5" 640x480 display?
Prolly because the Athena is also meant as an in-car GPS device and hence the larger (albeit with less resolution) screen.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:20 PM
alese
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys
Quote:
Originally Posted by alese

Prolly because the Athena is also meant as an in-car GPS device and hence the larger (albeit with less resolution) screen.
That's possible, but why wouldn't Athena also have 800x480 resolution.
It sure wouldn't hurt with GPS navigation in the car? For the rumored price one would expect that.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:28 PM
JesterMania
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by virain
I guess that is era of WM comming to an end, era UMPC is comming as new Vista devices come in play, Check out new OQO O2, it has EVDO from Sprint, and there are rumors they are in talks with other carriers.
I don't think so actually. If anything, WM devices should be flourishing this year given all the rumours of VGA devices, larger ROMs and such. It's just UMPCs are coming strong as possibe contenders to the laptop market. So, we might see more people carrying a mix of WM/UMPC devices. Also, current UMPCs such as the VAIO UX-series support a data modem link with a SIM card so you can go online, but I don't think you can use them with voice.

The specs of HTC Omni sound pretty ambitious to me, but the final question on whether this device is viable for me will be whether it has quad-band GSM and tri-band UMTS. Since it's HTC, hopefully the chances of this will be higher than with other manufacturers.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:31 PM
Frankie1
Intellectual
Default Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by virain
http://www.oqo.com/store/shop.cgi/op/op_index.html
My apologies in advanced for going off topic.

I've been watching this product for over a year and I've been very impressed by it. One specific thing that I love is the drop detection feature. I'm one of few people who can say that they have broken over 10 Pocket PCs :mecry: in less than two years. I love version 2 of the OQO and it has alot of potential, but one thing that I am wary about is the lack of phone capability. I'm sure with the Sprint EVDO you can use one of many VOIP services, but I-don't-know if I'd rely on that. If I were to purchase the OQO, what would I do with my HTC Universal? The Universal and the OQO would be to many devices to carry around with me, and I wonder if they would be stepping on each others toes.
But still, I love the OQO device and I think it's the most practical UMPC type device on the planet. Not to mention that it's with Sprint; who from personal experience has really good sercie, I've enen used the high speed Srint data service in the Florida swamps in the Everglades (excellent service).
Sorry to go off topic and I'm sure, as in the past, I will get bashed for going off topic. Sorry! (It'll be interesting to see what emoticon will be used to tell me this time.

Old 01-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default Re: Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1
My apologies in advanced for going off topic.
Be my guest.

Quote:
I've been watching this product for over a year and I've been very impressed by it. One specific thing that I love is the drop detection feature.
That's a feature that's found in many high end notebooks and tablets, hardly new. My wife's old Thinkpad X40 has it for instance.

Quote:
The Universal and the OQO would be to many devices to carry around with me, and I wonder if they would be stepping on each others toes.
They won't, not really. I carry three devices around regularly - my Loox 720 (PDA), SE k800i (phone and 3G mobile data functions), and when the situation warrants it, a Sony U8G (it's a U50 variant which is a contemporary of the original OQO and nearly the same size). They each have their strengths and weaknesses, and their particular uses. I wouldn't for instance take anything but the phone to the beach or to a party. I wouldn't want to have something the size of OQO as my one and only communications device.