Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 12-19-2006, 11:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Gear Diary at Samsung Summit: WiMAX, Phones, and More

http://www.geardiary.com/?p=1548

"I am the first to admit that I don�t know everything there is to know about the different wireless data protocols and their acronyms, but I generally have a good idea of what each is and what the initials used mean. CDMA, WiFi, UMTS, EDGE, GPRS, EVDO, Bluetooth�no problem, I�ve got it. But until this week I had never heard of WiMAX. What is WiMAX? Think 4G. Think the next big thing for broadband data speeds on a mobile device. Think CDMA. Think Sprint."

Judie was at Samsung Summit this week in New York, and took detailed notes on their wireless vision, including handsets, wireless technology, and their view of how devices would be used. Hit the link above for an extremely long article with minute detail on every subject including some discussion on their vision of how WiMAX will shape the future.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:18 AM
Judie Lipsett Hughes
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to Judie Lipsett Hughes

Janak, you say extremely like it's a bad thing.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:27 AM
ADBrown
Pontificator

I'm just shocked that you've made it this long without hearing about WiMax. Did you get your computer hype-proofed?

Anyway, as I suspect you gathered from their presentation, WiMax isn't technically a CDMA or even a 4G cellular standard, but Sprint intends to use it that way. It's more of an long-range sibling to WiFi, albeit a bit less standardized.

Oh, and those speeds they're quoting are a bit optimistic--WiMax is "only" expected to run at average speeds around 10 Mbits. :lol: I know that NTT DoCoMo has been playing with 100 Mbit moving and 1 Gbit fixed speeds for other 4G technologies, but they're a long way from active deployment.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:49 PM
Judie Lipsett Hughes
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to Judie Lipsett Hughes

I guess I had tuned out all of the hype. :lol:

Old 12-22-2006, 12:37 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judie Hughes
Janak, you say extremely like it's a bad thing.
Sorry, that was not my intention. That said, I couldn't read the entire article myself... the amount of detail in it is staggering. Kudos for writing it up; I know how much work it is to do it.

--janak