Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Talk

Old 12-16-2006, 07:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default Do You Use SMS On Your Windows Mobile Device?

I was wondering how many of you used SMS on their mobile devices given Windows Mobile has other communication methods like email, IM and a variety of others that you could install. My wife and I use SMS several times a day. It is a good way to keep each other up to date on what is going on, but when it comes to other people I know in North America, SMS is not very widely used. I know it is a much bigger deal outside of the US and Canada, but it is also very costly to do a lot of international SMSing. I am not going to bother asking about MMS. You can be the biggest MMS fan on the planet and if you can put up with the MMS client on Windows Mobile devices, you have a strange predisposition to self-inflicted torture. 8O

Note: If you are using SMS as "push notification" for pre-WM5 MSFP devices, don't count that.

Old 12-16-2006, 07:22 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

I have 2 teen-age daughters who text messages all day long. It seems to be a very common practice among teens these days. They have the T-Mobile Dash (thanks to the MS sponsored $100 deal a month or so ago) and my wife and I both have the Qtek 9100 (HTC Wizard). My 12-yr old son received the hand-me down Nokia from my oldest daughter. That is 5 phones on the T-Mobile family plan. We do not even use land-lines anymore. A while back, T-Mobile had a deal for the family plan to get unlimited text messages for $9.99/month. I think it is $20 now. Anyway, I got that special promo at the time and we each have effectively have had a $2/month each, unlimited messaging since. Collectively, as a family, we send thousands of messages every month so it was very worth it. The younger generation will definately be more into 'texting' than us old folk.

Old 12-16-2006, 07:36 PM
Arne Hess
Thinker
Default Re: Do You Use SMS On Your Windows Mobile Device?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
I was wondering how many of you used SMS on their mobile devices given Windows Mobile has other communication methods like email, IM and a variety of others that you could install.
I use it heavily every day and for me it's not a questions of Windows Mobile (I use) or not but a question of interoperability. Like circuit switched voice, SMS is one of the few services I can be sure it reaches the other, doesn't matter if the recipient is using a PAYG, Windows Mobile, Symbian, Palm or what ever device. It simply works and therefore it's the safest way to write messages on the go which reaches the recipient instantly (as soon as he/she switches on the mobile phone).

That's why I love SMS and it might be the reason why it will never get a replacement.

Old 12-16-2006, 08:37 PM
RogerStenning
Neophyte

My partner and I live some distance apart; it's the one way we have of communicating easily from over a hundred miles away in the UK when we're both at work, and can't talk on the phone instead!

Old 12-16-2006, 08:57 PM
rhelwig
Pupil

I hate SMS. It costs me 10 cents per message received, even if I didn't request it. It wouldn't be so bad if I only paid for messages I sent - then I could have some control over how much it costs me. (I have Verizon - tried Cingular, but where I'm at only Verizon has any signal at all)

The other day I received 16 SMS messages from a roommate. He had erroneously sent an email using his SMS account, and to the wrong address. The system split his message into 16 separate messages, sending them to me days after he "sent" them. Yes, he's a moron; but why should I be penalized for his mistakes?

I can see using it for short one-time messages like "plan B is a go", but using it like a chat program seems absurd to me.

Old 12-16-2006, 09:10 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhelwig
I hate SMS. It costs me 10 cents per message received, even if I didn't request it.
Can't you pay $2-3/mo and get 100-200 SMS messages :?:

Old 12-16-2006, 09:16 PM
pocketpcadmirer
Sage

On an average, I send around 150-200SMSes per day(yes, per day). Around 80SMS to my love and rest to my friends.

I have taken some scheme underwhich each SMS cost me just $0.002 !!(in indian rupees 10paise per SMS)

Old 12-16-2006, 09:25 PM
rhelwig
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhelwig
I hate SMS. It costs me 10 cents per message received, even if I didn't request it.
Can't you pay $2-3/mo and get 100-200 SMS messages :?:
Probably, but the point is: why should I pay for receiving messages, especially ones I didn't request?

Also, since email is free and has more functionality, why would I ever bother using SMS?

Old 12-16-2006, 09:38 PM
Rod3
Intellectual

Can't even imagine using it. Everybody I know thinks it's for kids, and would be insulted if I started messaging them. I'd rather call, or email. I guess it's your peer group that sets the standard. And mine definitely aren't teens.

Old 12-16-2006, 09:50 PM
Perry Reed
Thinker
Send a message via AIM to Perry Reed Send a message via MSN to Perry Reed

My wife and I use it constantly during the day, between our PPC-6700's. Yeah, we could email, and we do that, too, but generally we use SMS.

I also use it occasionally with one or two other friends.