Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 12-13-2006, 06:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Skype 2.2 (Beta) for Windows Mobile Released

http://www.skype.com/download/skype/mobile/

"Skype, the global Internet communications company, today released the beta version of Skype 2.2 for Windows Mobile that supports smartphones and enhances support for Pocket PC devices. Now available for smartphones powered by Windows Mobile software, as well as Pocket PCs, including those using lower-power processors, the latest incarnation of Skype software further extends Skype use beyond desktop or notebook computers. Skype is now supported by over 120 devices that run Windows Mobile software, giving more people the freedom to use Skype anywhere in the world where they have high-speed wireless access to the internet. Travelers who make Skype-to-Skype calls or use SkypeOut to call regular landlines can save considerably on roaming charges."

The new beta version of Skype for Windows Mobile contains a handful of bug fixes and some much requested features, such as Smartphone support, an enhanced Today plug-in, a tweaked UI, improved contact and update behaviour, enhanced low-end CPU support, and more. The downloading and installing of Skype is free, so go get it.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:44 PM
OSUKid7
Mystic

It's things like this that really make me want to have a phone with Wi-Fi or even just 3G. Cingular EDGE doesn't quite cut it. It installs and runs fine on my Cingular 2125 (Smartphone) though.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:14 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

There is a link to download a cab file, but it does not work (at least for me from PIE).

Old 12-13-2006, 09:57 PM
PPCRules
Thinker
Default Re: Skype 2.2 (Beta) for Windows Mobile Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
... supported by over 120 devices that run Windows Mobile software, ...
Isn't that amazing? It wasn't long ago you could count the number of PocketPC models on one hand.

I wonder how many Palm OS devices have been released during the time that these 120 models were released.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:00 PM
hx2210
Pupil

Skype's download pages wont work with PIE as the download opens a second window to start. The links work just fine on Firefox on desktops though :roll:

Anyone tried any other browser to download this on their device?

Old 12-14-2006, 05:16 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

Yay! No more hacks to get it running on the miriad of OMAP 850 devices that are out there.

Old 12-14-2006, 10:29 AM
saru83
Thinker

worked great with my i320, but with no wifi or 3G voice does not work :roll:

Old 12-14-2006, 01:43 PM
vinodis
Neophyte

works well on kjam

Old 12-15-2006, 07:17 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hx2210
Skype's download pages wont work with PIE as the download opens a second window to start. The links work just fine on Firefox on desktops though :roll:

Anyone tried any other browser to download this on their device?
If it's any consolation, I can't even get the Skype site to load in PIE, period.

As far as Skype for Windows Mobile is concerned, the recommendation is to download the installer on a PC, and then manually copy the CAB over to your Pocket PC, or run the installer on a PC and have it install through ActiveSync/WMDC. Silly? You bet. :roll: