Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 12-07-2006, 11:02 PM
Paul Martin
Editor Emeritus
Default Vodafone Germany to Carry the HTC Herald as VPA Compact IV

http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=3489

"While it's not officially announced by Vodafone yet, the "coming soon" section at Vodafone's German website mentions a new Vodafone VPA which most of us already know - it's the HTC Herald Pocket PC Phone Edition. Basically, the Herald is the follower of the HTC Wizard, since both devices supports 2.5G only - not 3G, both features a slide-out keyboard - while the Herald features a semi-automatic sliding mechanism. Other features and improvements are that the Herald is just 17 mm thick, hosts a large internal memory of 128 MB ROM and 64 MB RAM and is quadband GSM/GPRS/EDGE as well as it supports Bluetooth and WiFi b/g."

Arne Hess has the scoop on Vodafone Germany's offering of the new HTC Herald P4350. In an earlier story he mentions that Vodafone is also expected to offer it in the Netherlands. If you're in a market Vodafone serves, is the 2.5G fast enough or are you holding out for a 3G device?

Old 12-07-2006, 11:47 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

While I'm not in Vodafone's market - I personally would not want to go back to a 2.5g device. I certainly prefer the smaller form factor, though. Makes me wonder if the 3G chip is really a lot bigger than the EDGE chip, or if the power requirements are so much more that they need a bigger battery. I mean there must be some reason the smaller devices from HTC all seem to leave out the 3G, isn't there?

Old 12-07-2006, 11:55 PM
Paul Martin
Editor Emeritus

It could be the 2.5G chip was cheaper to use and in tying in with Vodafone, perhaps the data plans are less expensive and more popular? Not living in Europe, I'm not sure how Vodafone's plans work.

Old 12-08-2006, 02:25 AM
Pdaholic
Intellectual

Just when I think there could be no new way to arrange keys around the D-Pad, Bam! Another style.
Got a*PDA for sale: NEW Treo 700WX + Seidio Holster + Sync Cradlehttp://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=425447#425447

Old 12-08-2006, 09:37 PM
Phoenix
Sage

The issue here isn't so much the lack of 3G wireless. The issue here is the slow processor.

The Tytn is what I'm most interested in. I think the Herald looks good, but they really cripple it by not going Samsung or XScale.