Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 11-26-2006, 10:30 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default PocketBible 3 Update

http://blog.laridian.com/?p=46

Laridian has released an updated version of PocketBible 3 that adds a few new features. One of the most welcome additions is a horizontal scroll bar, when necessary, to search results. Often the verse returned would scroll off the right side of the screen and the actual search terms wouldn't be shown in the search result window. Now, a horizontal bar will appear allowing you to briefly scan the whole verse to see if it is what you wanted.

With more and more people installing additional translations and dictionaries, Laridian has added the ability to set your preferred Greek and Hebrew dictionaries. This is useful if you install either the either the King James Version with the Strong's Exhaustive Concordance or the New American Standard with Strong's Exhaustive Concordance but would rather default to the more detailed dictionaries like the Complete Word Study available for the Old Testament (Hebrew) or New Testament (Greek). The update is free to all current PocketBible 3 owners.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:44 PM
Paul Martin
Editor Emeritus

Guess I should be reading the blog. I've wanted that scrolling feature since the search results no longer wrap to the window (actually, I liked that better, but oh well; with progress comes...)

Old 11-27-2006, 01:59 AM
T-Will
Sage

I wonder if there are any plans to update the Smartphone version to optimize it to work better with Smartphones that have full keyboards?

Old 11-27-2006, 02:50 AM
Ed Hansberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Will
I wonder if there are any plans to update the Smartphone version to optimize it to work better with Smartphones that have full keyboards?
http://blog.laridian.com/?p=12

Old 11-27-2006, 01:44 PM
bvkeen
Intellectual

Nice update. I coincidentally updated it over the weekend - just happened to go to their site and to do some redownloads and saw the update.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:07 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

And, while we're on the topic of Laridian downloads...

I've got to give them credit for creating a system that helps me make sure I've got the latest versions and am grabbing the correct files. Their download page is really great.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:15 AM
azhiker
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to azhiker
Default Other changes I'd like to see

I wish they would do a few other things to upgrade their software.

I want as much space as possible devoted to the Bible. They use the bottom of the page for the Edit and View menu, but the rest of that area is unused. Why can't they add the Book status and even frequent used icons there? That would save a lot of space.

I like to know what translation I am using, but the book status bar shows the book abbreviation and then all that wasted space across the screen. At least they should have a tap and hold to close like they do with the "find" window.

How about a small ribbon color coded bookmark across the side of the page like MS Reader uses? That would be so much nicer to tap through favorite passages!

One last thing, the reading plan is great, but if you ahve to reload your reading plan starts all over again. I wish there was some way of saving your current progress when you have to reload the software after a hard reset.

Old 11-28-2006, 01:37 AM
Ed Hansberry
Default Re: Other changes I'd like to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhiker
One last thing, the reading plan is great, but if you ahve to reload your reading plan starts all over again. I wish there was some way of saving your current progress when you have to reload the software after a hard reset.
In ver 3, that is stored in your Laridian Data.db file, which you should preserve since it is sync'd to your PC via ActiveSync.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:10 PM
paschott
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hansberry
Quote:
In ver 3, that is stored in your Laridian Data.db file, which you should preserve since it is sync'd to your PC via ActiveSync.
That's definitely a downside to using an Exchange Server and wireless ActiveSync. I don't tend to hook my WM device up to my PC nearly as often as I used to.

Old 12-06-2006, 06:05 PM
crairdin
Pupil

Quote:
I want as much space as possible devoted to the Bible. They use the bottom of the page for the Edit and View menu, but the rest of that area is unused. Why can't they add the Book status and even frequent used icons there? That would save a lot of space.
On Windows Mobile 5 devices the Edit and View menus are located above the softkeys and there is no extra space. If we moved buttons or status into that space they would be inaccessible on the new Win Mobile 5 devices. Rather than creating two versions of the program with two interfaces, we went with the solution that works on the new version of the devices and figure as time goes on the old devices will be replaced so it won't be an issue.

Quote:
I like to know what translation I am using, but the book status bar shows the book abbreviation and then all that wasted space across the screen. At least they should have a tap and hold to close like they do with the "find" window.
The book status bar shows the abbreviation of the book and your current location. In a Bible, this is very brief and it does appear like space is wasted. But in a reference book these are usually very long and the more space available the easier it is to tell where you are. You can close the book status bar with View > Options.

Quote:
How about a small ribbon color coded bookmark across the side of the page like MS Reader uses? That would be so much nicer to tap through favorite passages!
Instead of using bookmarks for bookmarks, use highlight colors.

Quote:
You should always back up your Laridian Data.db file, which contains your notes, bookmarks, highlights, and reading plan progress. After a hard reset you can restore it and everything comes back the way it was.

Craig Rairdin
President
Laridian, Inc.