Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 11-22-2006, 06:25 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default It's Hot: More O2 Xda Flame Information

http://www.dinarsoft.com/gitex.html

Yesterday's O2 Xda Flame news seemed to tickle the fancy of more than just a few of you. You asked for more information, and here it is!

What you already know: The beast comes packed with an Intel XScale PXA270 520MHz CPU, 64MB RAM, 2GB ROM, 802.11b/g Wi-Fi, an NVIDIA GoForce 5500 GPU, a 3.6" VGA display, TV-out functionality, SRS Mobile HD surround sound support, USB On-The-Go, and a 2.0-megapixel camera. What you don't know (but now know): It includes Bluetooth (yes, you had your doubts, but it's there), tri-band 3G connectivity, a flash for the primary camera, a secondary camera for video calling, a microSD slot, an FM tuner, an infrared port, and Windows Mobile 5.0. The capacity of the battery is still being finalized, but at the moment, it's sitting at 1,600mAh.

When's this baby being released? Q1 2007, with Thailand being the first lucky country to pick it up. Oh, and for those of you hoping for a quad-band version, sorry, it's not happening. Visit DinarSoft for your requested Xda Flame eye-candy.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:26 PM
beq
Oracle

Who is the (non-HTC) manufacturer for the O2 XDA Flame and XDA Zinc? Will they be as mature as HTC in QA?

And just to confirm, does the Flame support three GSM bands (900/1800/1900) and three UMTS/WCDMA bands (850/1900/2100)? So the only thing missing is GSM 850 for voice?

Old 11-22-2006, 08:23 PM
palur
Intellectual

Thank you Dinarsoft team.
It is something more than a regular pda phone with USB on the go and card reader (with camera) and TV out (we can do presentations as with Axim x51v). Quite impressive.

But not QUAD band! Not so useful in USA. bummer!

Old 11-22-2006, 08:27 PM
visha78
Neophyte

I'm in love... I wonder how much this beauty would cost.... I bet by the time I see the price tag on this baby, it would make me feel like I wanna rob a bank.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:37 PM
cgavula
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to cgavula

I'm a little surprised as well that it's only tri-band. Why, in this day and age, aren't all GSM phones quad-band? It can't save that much money to drop the 4th band, can it?

Cingular is the largest GSM carrier in the US and they use the 850MHz band. That's usually the band missing on a tri-band phone. Without it, I just can't see this selling very well in the U.S. But then, O2 doesn't really have much of a presence (if any) here anyway and the US is definitely not their target market.

--Chris

Old 11-22-2006, 08:42 PM
SteveHoward999
Pontificator

Wow. I imagined there could be lots of reasons why I might regret moving tot he US, but lack of access to the best PDA devices was not one I had pictured ...

So who do we need to lobby? US cell phone strangleholders -- oops -- providers, or the PDA manufacturers? Or the FCC? :-)

Still this device looks like it has almost everything the power users have been missing for the last year, so there's hope yet for greater things to come to the US.

Not that I ever had any doubts, you understand. Really. Never one. Ever. At all. So quit looking at me like that!

Old 11-22-2006, 09:23 PM
JesterMania
Thinker

I sort of guessed things would turn out this way. It's ironic how GSM is supposedly a global standard but then we get manufacturers who like to cripple their phones to certain regions of the world. It seems we still need to rely on people like HTC and Palm to manufacture quand-band GSM offerings.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:23 PM
phate
Neophyte
Default VGA... /me drools

It having VGA is quite a selling point for me. If it had a thumboard of some sort (ala HTC Universal) I'd get one in a hot minute.

To my knowledge its the only other VGA Pocket PC Phone besides the HTC Universal (And its variants). For that matter I can't even get a straight count on how many Pocket PCs there are that feature VGA, no less phone abilites. I can only count four off the top of my head now:

Dell Axim x51v
HP hx4700
HTC Universal (+Phone)
Fujitsu Loox

Anyone know of any others?

I wish MS, HTC, or someone would make VGA displays a requirement for pocket pcs.
/wish Microsoft Make VGA a requirement for Photon (or better Crossbow, as it will hit streets sooner)

Old 11-22-2006, 09:26 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

The direct screenshots (and the fact that the screen is 3.6") are promising. The device seems to have a Sony (means high-quality in this area) screen as was in the Universal.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:30 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!
Default Re: VGA... /me drools

Quote:
Originally Posted by phate
It having VGA is quite a selling point for me. If it had a thumboard of some sort (ala HTC Universal) I'd get one in a hot minute.

To my knowledge its the only other VGA Pocket PC Phone besides the HTC Universal (And its variants). For that matter I can't even get a straight count on how many Pocket PCs there are that feature VGA, no less phone abilites. I can only count four off the top of my head now:

Dell Axim x51v
HP hx4700
HTC Universal (+Phone)
Fujitsu Loox

Anyone know of any others?
There're quite a few, most importantly, the Toshi e800/e830, the Asus a730(w), the Acer n3xx and the new Gigabyte. Also see http://www.firstloox.org/VGAppc.htm for more info (it, unfortunately, lacks info on the Gigabyte. See http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...light=gigabyte for info on the latter.)