Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 10-26-2006, 02:00 PM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor
Default iMate Has A Replacement For The JASJAR: Not Quite

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/25/...edux-the-k-jar/

"It looks like i-mate's ongoing collaboration with TechFaith is starting to pick up a good head of steam, seeing how they've gone and entrusted the Chinese ODM with serving up the de facto successor to the HTC-sourced JASJAR."

iMate is confirmed picking up the UBiQUiO 601 as the K-JAR - tri-band GSM with GPRS, TI OMAP CPU, 2.8" QVGA TFT-LCD, Bluetooth 1.2, 802.11b/g Wi-Fi, and miniSD slot. Apart from the form-factor, this is very far in terms of specs from the 3G, 3.6" VGA, SDIO-packing JASJAR - anybody else of the same opinion? BTW, IMHO, the iMate name is only marginally an improvement of the original - I keep thinking it sounds like the latest in avant-garde tableware.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:36 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

This is a definite step back in terms of technology from the JasJar. It may be smaller and easier to carry around, though. I'm not sure who would want one of these instead of something like the Hermes (I think i-mate brands it as the JasJam), the keyboard may be marginally more useful, but everything else seems to be a huge step back.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:27 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Ever since i-mate switched partners, their devices have been a little ho-hum. Hopefully, this isn't a sign of things to come.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:51 PM
mmidgley
Intellectual

"iMate" reminds me of a branch off device of my old Apple Newton. anyone remember that one? full keyboard, almost laptop-looking, NewtonOS based device? low tech in today's standards, but then this new jasjar-like device is not helping raise today's standards, eh? i'll stick with my htc prophet jamin for now.

m.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:38 PM
jickbahtech
Intellectual
Send a message via Yahoo to jickbahtech

Step down from the Jasjar?
This is a step down from my 6700...

Old 10-26-2006, 09:06 PM
Paragon
Magi

This quote just in from Jim Morrison, CEO of iMate. " We built the K-JAR with such low specs because we had a customer tell us they wanted a device with crappy specs, and if it was ugly as well, that would be a real bonus"

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Dave

Old 10-27-2006, 01:37 AM
HTK
Intellectual

The screen size is laughable.

Old 10-27-2006, 02:42 AM
DaleReeck
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTK
The screen size is laughable.
Yeah, really. There' more dead space around the screen then there is actual screen.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:04 AM
saru83
Thinker

what the #$%^&?? iMate is going down, really going down.. i expect the only iMate market from now will be the Middle East, its pretty well recognised out there.. thats there only hope..

Old 10-28-2006, 11:31 AM
phreaker18
Intellectual

what r they thinking..... i seriously dont understand the thought process of the people in the RnD n marketing team........ bah !!!!