Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 10-25-2006, 04:32 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default HP and Cingular Launch the iPAQ hw6920

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/p...06/061025a.html

HP and Cingular have officially launched the iPAQ 6900 series Pocket PC - I first looked at this device back in March, then Jon took a more detailed look last month, and now it's officially launching in the United States. A read of the press release below reveals nothing unusual - this looks like the same device we've looked at previously. There will be an hw6925 with a built-in camera, and the hw6920 which comes without the camera. $359.99 USD with a two year contract is the only pricing mentioned, which puts it in the mid-range as far as the price point goes when compared to similar devices such as the Motorola Q (from a form-factor standpoint).

"HP and Cingular Wireless today announced that beginning Oct. 31 Cingular will be the first carrier in the United States to offer a new HP iPAQ handheld device with five wireless communications technologies. With the HP iPAQ hw6920 series Mobile Messenger, customers can use Cingular�s nationwide GSM/GPRS/EDGE wireless data network, Wi-Fi, GPS, infrared and Bluetooth� wireless technologies(1,2,3) to connect business customers to their information, whether it�s corporate email or more robust industry-specific applications.

The built-in GPS (global positioning system) receiver enables customers to receive directions on their hw6920 series to points-of-interest around town and to impromptu destination choices. The hw6920 series will debut with Cingular�s first generally available, location-based solution � TeleNav GPS Navigator� from TeleNav, Inc.

With TeleNav GPS Navigator, HP iPAQ users can get turn-by-turn voice and onscreen directions directly on the device for use when driving or walking. TeleNav GPS Navigator, which also provides information on more than 10 million points of interest and additional search tools, is available as a subscription service from Cingular. HP iPAQ customers also can choose from several other GPS navigation options � including Microsoft Pocket Streets or HP Navigation Maps and Software.

�HP is making it simple for customers to stay connected and work effectively when on the move,� said Alain Debost, director, Handheld Business Unit � North America, HP. �By combining the iPAQ hw6920 series wireless email, voice and fast data access with Cingular�s expansive network, we are allowing customers to tap into the information and rich content they want, when they want it.�

Cingular�s EDGE network is the largest national wireless data network in the United States, with availability in more than 13,000 cities and towns and along about 40,000 miles of interstate highways.

�The HP iPAQ hw6920 series is a powerful communications tool that will give our business customers multiple ways to stay connected to important information,� said Cathy Quaciari, director, B2B devices, Cingular Wireless. �Whether it�s through a wide area, local area or Bluetooth connection, customers will be able to access their email and other corporate data while having location-based capabilities with the device�s built-in GPS receiver. It�s yet another jewel in the long and fruitful collaborative alliance between HP and Cingular.�

The Microsoft Windows� Mobile 5.0 operating system gives HP iPAQ hw6920 series users access to mobile versions of many of the familiar Microsoft features found on their desktops, such Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer and Outlook.

Additionally, the HP iPAQ hw6920 series includes the Messaging and Security Feature Pack for Windows Mobile 5.0, which offers up-to-date email, calendar, tasks and contacts as well as advanced security features, including remote device wipe, remotely enforced IT policy and S/MIME support.

The HP Mobility Solutions Evaluation Center provides customers with access to a premier portfolio of business applications � many available via downloadable, 30-day evaluations at no charge. Cingular�s certification process for business application providers was incorporated into the Mobility Solutions Center. Expertise areas include mail and messaging, field service, government, healthcare, retail, sales and transportation.

Customers also can use the HP iPAQ hw6920 series� built-in 1.3-megapixel HP Photosmart camera for capturing photos and videos to share wirelessly,(2) or they can relax to their favorite music using Windows Media Player 10 Mobile. Cingular will sell two versions of the HP iPAQ hw6900 series Mobile Messenger: the hw6925 has a built-in camera and the hw6920 comes without a camera.

Availability and pricing(4)

The iPAQ hw6920 series is available from Cingular Wireless� B2B sales organization for as low as $359.99 for business customers with a two-year contract and qualifying voice and data plans. The iPAQ hw6920 series also is available through hp.com and select HP channel partners.

More information is available at www.hp.com/go/Mobility2006 or www.cingular.com/ipaq.

About Cingular Wireless

Cingular Wireless is the largest wireless carrier in the United States, serving 58.7 million customers. Cingular, a joint venture between AT&T Inc. (NYSE: T) and BellSouthCorporation (NYSE: BLS), has the largest digital voice and data network in the nation � the ALLOVER� network � and the largest mobile-to-mobile community of any national wireless carrier. Cingular is a leader in third generation wireless technology. Its 3G network is the first widely available service in the world to use HSDPA (High Speed Downlink Packet Access) technology. Cingular is the only U.S. wireless carrier to offer Rollover�, the wireless plan that lets customers keep their unused monthly minutes. Details of the company are available at www.cingular.com.

About HP

HP is a technology solutions provider to consumers, businesses and institutions globally. The company�s offerings span IT infrastructure, global services, business and home computing, and imaging and printing. For the four fiscal quarters ended July 31, 2006, HP revenue totaled $90.0 billion. More information about HP (NYSE, Nasdaq: HPQ) is available at http://www.hp.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(1) In order to perform GPS navigation, a software application and maps must used. These can be downloaded or purchased separately at www.hp.com/go/gpsnavigation.

(2) A standard GSM/GPRS/EDGE infrastructure, other Bluetooth-enabled devices, separately purchased equipment, and a service contract with a wireless airtime provider may be required for applicable wireless communication. GSM/GPRS/EDGE Wireless Internet access requires separately purchased Internet service contract. Check with service provider for availability and coverage in your area. Not all web content available. GPRS/EDGE may not be available in all networks. GPRS/EDGE data transmission speeds may vary based upon network capabilities and other conditions. Establishment and continuation of a GPRS/EDGE connection depends on network availability, provider support and signal strength.

(3) Enhanced Data for Global Evolution (EDGE) is a global standard for wireless wide-area data communication being rapidly deployed by GSM carriers worldwide. Actual download speeds depend on coverage, network availability, traffic, device, applications, tasks, file size and other factors. Coverage is subject to transmission limitations and terrain, system, capacity and other limitations. Not all features and service options are available in all areas. EDGE capabilities available when EDGE networks are deployed. When an EDGE network is not available, it defaults to GPRS.

(4) Estimated U.S. street prices. Actual prices may vary."

Old 10-25-2006, 05:03 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

Nice to see that the deal that was supposedly to become final and announced in July is finally here... in October...

Cingular will weigh HP down, and if HP doesn't start marketing iPAQ Mobile Messengers through other channels (i.e. sell them the same way that you sell a non-converged device), they'll never get ahead.

Old 10-25-2006, 05:04 PM
Pdaholic
Intellectual

Good. I hope HP sells many of these devices. My best PDAs have been made by HP, even though many users have had issues with some of their devices (I've been lucky). I've got an order out for a 6945 right now. This device is truly the best option for someone wanting a static keyboard. The Treo's screen is the same resolution but smaller, it doesn't have wifi, and the 300mhz processor can't handle high bit-rate video. Here's hoping the 6945 I get will be better than the Treo.

Old 10-25-2006, 05:38 PM
PdaAddict
Ponderer

Boring at best. Ugly design. 240X20 resolution? Is this 2006 or are we going backwards? How is this better then HTC Hermes (except GPS)?

Old 10-25-2006, 06:13 PM
jngold_me
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdaAddict
Boring at best. Ugly design. 240X20 resolution? Is this 2006 or are we going backwards? How is this better then HTC Hermes (except GPS)?
Blame WM5 for the low 240 x 240. As for the HTC Hermes, some prefer a static keyboard.

I will be passing on this as I currently have a KJAM. My next device will have to have 3G.

Old 10-25-2006, 06:34 PM
JesterMania
Thinker

The advantage I see here is that I can reach into my pocket, and have a device that is a phone, PDA, and GPS navigator all in one. Sure you can do that with the new HTC P3300 (Artemis), but after using a non-converged PDA for a while, I'm starting to really want a device with a keyboard that provides tactile feedback during text entry. I'll be on the lookout for availability of these devices in Canada. Here's hoping some of our GSM carriers will follow Cingular's route.

Old 10-25-2006, 06:44 PM
Silver5
Intellectual

This is a really good Windows Mobile phone. Yeah, the screen resolution is low, and I usually use my Qtek 9000 with OZ VGA so I know it affects me more than many, but I am able to overlook that for the many other benefits. If they added a 480x480 screen then I would see no reason for anyone to complain. Boring looks? That's fine with me. Too many devices have been really interesting looking but useless overall.

The software add-ons are also a big deal. For example, the simple yet very useful HP Profiles application is very nice to have on a PPC phone, and HP made it easily accessible by use of a Today plugin (I don't use this though) or by pressing the power button for two seconds. Nice touches! In addition, there is a Today plugin that allows me to access the BT, Wifi, and phone radios to toggle them on/off or change their settings. This kind of one touch access is hard to beat and I now actually use Wifi and BT more often because there is less button tapping involved to get to them.

What really has me hooked is the GPS. This is the first time I have had GPS (I didn't buy the system with my car since it was annoying to use...Chris Bangle must be thrilled with it though!) and I really like it. It is even more convenient because it is there for me wherever I go. No matter where in the city I am I can find my way back to something familiar, and since I am not originally from Chicago and have not yet memorized much of the city, this new toy is quite helpful. The best part is that I don't have to carry anything extra to use it...you can't beat that.

Things I wish it had:
-higher resolution and brighter screen
-better battery life
-more application buttons

I think that is part of my list for almost every device I have owned...only this is a much shorter list than usual. Everything on the device that I have tried in the past week has actually worked well aside from the camera. I tried to buy one without a camera since I can't take it into the courthouse but didn't find it. There is usually something on a converged device (no matter the OS) that doesn't work well, and if the camera is the only thing I have found thus far, I am quite happy not using it much.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:01 PM
Pdaholic
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdaAddict
Sliding keyboards are great...but they've got problems. My ppc6700 has a sliding keyboard and the size is nice. But when I take it out of my pocket, hit the power button, and slide the keyboard open, I get to sit there for a few seconds and watch the screen redraw as the orientation flips. The more you have on the today screen, the slower it is. Do that 30 times a day every day, and you get annoyed with a slider.

My Treo 700wx is perfect for instant note taking. Hit the button, press a user-defined key for your note application and you're all set. No screen flipping, no waiting for the screen to redraw. But I gotta have wifi, and I can't handle a loose wifi card floating around my house.

But I do agree though, 240x240 is complete regression. Using a 320 x 240 screen in landscape mode, though, isn't that much better. The vertical stretch in portrait mode with the higher res devices is what makes me feel like I've got a big screen.

I can't wait to get my 6945! I think I've got the shakes.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:34 PM
Birdman
Theorist

I had this device for about 4 days and while I had to send it back to HP (reasons detailed below), for the time I had it, I thought it was great.
The form factor was excellent. Flip up screen for the times you wanted it in your pocket, and a belt clip just like the BB. I was able to do most things with the buttons and rarely did I need to pull out the stylus.
I found AS much more stable than older versions and after leaving the PPC platform about 2 years ago to use a BB, it was great to be back with all of the aps and functionality of this device.
While at times, it was a little bit slow, the amount that it could do was quite remarkable. Just having WiFi was great.
So why did I send it back? I bought it to replace my BB. With all the talk of MS' solution for push email and built in functionality in the WM5 platform and the Exchange Server 2003 with SP2, I could not get my IS department to support it.
I had it configured properly, but it would not push email to the device. After spending 3 days reading as much as I could, I discovered that while Exchange Server 2003 with SP2 has the AS push email capability built in, it can be "disabled" (or perhaps it has to be "enabled", not sure which) on the server end in order for it work.
I spent lots of time on the phone with firm's IS department who insisted that they had looked at the functionality previously and determined that it was not particularly resource efficient, not sure of security etc. but at the end of the day, they made the decision only to support BB running of our BES. Notwithstanding that I wasn't looking for any "support", they would not enable the feature so I could not get real time push email.
Once that decision was made, I was not prepared to carry 2 devices so I sent it back.
MS really needs to get out into the business world and demonstrate their tech. and show institutions that there is a cost effective and efficient solution and alternative to the BB. Until that happens, I suspect the majority of large business / firm IT departments will stick with what they are familiar with and what they know, the BB.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:37 PM
deemota
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdaholic
I can't wait to get my 6945! I think I've got the shakes.
Did you order yours yet? I will be selling mine soon....

I love the device. Best device i've had. I just got a T-Mobile Dash and will be selling my iPAQ solely for financial reasons. Need to get some cash for another purchase.