Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 10-11-2006, 08:15 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Aspyr Media Announces Call of Duty 2: Release Date in November

http://www.aspyr.com/product/info/62

"Aspyr Media, Inc. announced this morning Call of Duty 2 for Pocket PCs is now live on their website. COD2 for Pocket PCs is expected to be released this November. Call of Duty 2 for Pocket PCs and handheld devices is optimized for Intel Corporation�s newest processor family for portable devices (codenamed Monahans) based on third-generation Intel XScale� architecture. Activision's Call of Duty 2 is an award-winning, intense and cinematic first-person action game that transports gamers to the front lines of World War II. With exceptional AI that fights, evades and acts realistically, chaotic battlegrounds with exploding artillery and whizzing bullets, authentic battleground recreation, a vast arsenal of weaponry, and a highly polished gameplay progression, the excitement of the original PC version has been optimized and transported to handhelds."

I saw a screenshot of this game at Mobius Thailand 2006, but I wasn't expecting to see official release information quite so soon. The specifications for the game are interesting:

Software Version: Any Pocket PC or Smartphone with 28mb of free RAM (300 MHz Intel XScale� processor, SD Card with 32mb)

Hardware accelerated version: Any Pocket PC or Smartphone with the Intel 2700G or Nvidia GoForce 5500 graphics chip (300 MHz Intel XScale� processor, SD Card with 32mb free, 28mb of free RAM)

Definitely not for underpowered devices. All you Treo 700w owners will have to pass this by, and most Smartphone owners will have to skip it as well. There's no mention of VGA or QVGA versions, but the screenshots are in VGA, so I'm assuming it means a full-on VGA version. Interesting stuff - but I have to wonder how much pickup there will be for a product like this. I'm not aware of any device shipping that uses the GoForce 5500, and the devices using the Intel 2700G are few and far between. The software version is more compatible, though I wonder what the quality of the graphics will be like. Guess we'll have to wait until November!

Old 10-11-2006, 08:25 PM
Menneisyys
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!
Default Re: Aspyr Media Announces Call of Duty 2: Release Date in November

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dunn
There's no mention of VGA or QVGA versions, but the screenshots are in VGA, so I'm assuming it means a full-on VGA version
The screenshots use very good quality textures, which means they are 2700G screenshots - software-rendered screenshots would have used far lower quality textures (even in QVGA).

I don't think the software-rendered version will be VGA - they would be unable to produce anything usable (over, say, 8-10 fps) at that resolution.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:37 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor
Default Re: Aspyr Media Announces Call of Duty 2: Release Date in November

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys
I don't think the software-rendered version will be VGA - they would be unable to produce anything usable (over, say, 8-10 fps) at that resolution.
Yeah, that's what I thought too - though they might do a 320 x 240 stretch to fit-type solution in VGA.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:45 AM
jayson
Ponderer

WOW SWEET!
I'm sooooo excited 4 it 2 come out! I'll never get bored...lol

Old 10-24-2006, 06:36 PM
Joelacrane
Thinker

I wonder how similar the game will be to the Xbox 360 version?

I played it for about 5 minutes and it was ok, nothing spectacular. Now only if they would port half-life or Halo...

I can't wait to get this though. Looks like its going to be fun.

Old 10-25-2006, 02:19 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelacrane
I wonder how similar the game will be to the Xbox 360 version?
If you're talking about graphics, you can expect it to be far from the Xbox 360 version.