Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 10-11-2006, 05:30 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default E-TEN X500 Pocket PC Phone Revealed

http://www.eten-users.net/index.php?showtopic=4502

E-TEN's next device has just been revealed - pictures and all. First impressions would have me say that the design leans a little toward the ugly side, but that's something I always take with a grain of salt until I have the device in hand. On to specs, this has almost everything - Samsung S3C2442 400MHz CPU, 64MB RAM, 128MB ROM (interesting to see that the memory configuration has taken a step back from the M600+), a QVGA TFT-LCD, Bluetooth 2.0, 802.11b/g Wi-Fi, an FM radio tuner, GPS functionality (SiRFstar III chipset), a 2.0-megapixel camera with auto-focus, microSD support, and Windows Mobile 5.0. Now here's the catch: it's quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE-enabled, but it still lacks 3G connectivity. Well, as they say, no device is ever perfect.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:44 PM
DaleReeck
Sage

MicroSD? *sigh* PocketPC's went from CF cards to CF/SD combos (slight jump there), then slid downhill since. SD only to MiniSD to now MicroSD. And with each drop in storage card physical size has come a corresponding drop in maximum MB size.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:05 PM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

I think this is a pretty cool device. I've been waiting for quad-band EDGE for a while. I don't think 3G will start taking hold until sometime 2007, so I'm not too worried about it.

Wow, the choices are now extrmely hard... The HP6945 or the ETEN... I'm leaning towards the HP6945 has the keyboard which makes it great for shooting off quick eMails.. But the ETEN is 3mm thinner which makes it A LITTLE easier to carry around. Plus you can get NICE cases with the HP :wink:

Old 10-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Paragon
Magi

Eten produce great devices. Their ROMs are very solid. Probably the most stable of any PPC PE ROM I've used. They usually have some rather unique software included as well.

Dave

Old 10-11-2006, 07:38 PM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon
Eten produce great devices. Their ROMs are very solid. Probably the most stable of any PPC PE ROM I've used. They usually have some rather unique software included as well.

Dave
I've heard nothing but fantastic things on the stability of the HP6945 which increases the possibility of getting the iPAQ. Honestly though, I've been drooling for the ETEN devices for a while. I just loathe using a stylus.

However now that I have my TabletKiosk EO i7210, I can take my time in choosing :wink:

Old 10-11-2006, 08:18 PM
bkerrins
Intellectual

I like this. I just got the HW6945 which is nice, but the screen is too small and one of the games I play is not supported on a square screen. I also like the "clean' look of this. It's a little boring looking but impressive stats for the most part. Lack of 3G doesn't bother me too much because I don't think Cingular will have it really up and running until a few years from now when it's time for me to upgrade anyway.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:59 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic
Default Re: E-TEN X500 Pocket PC Phone Revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
(interesting to see that the memory configuration has taken a step back from the M600+),
This one seems to be more of a G500 successor than a m600 successor. Although its just a matter of perspective as which feature you focus on. maybe its a M600/G500 love-child.

Anyway, as to style it does seem to be a step away from their rounded contours in the past.

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 10-11-2006, 11:15 PM
MitchellO
Oracle

Argh!!! Put 3G in them guys!!

Old 10-12-2006, 12:19 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Re: E-TEN X500 Pocket PC Phone Revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Dyson
This one seems to be more of a G500 successor than a m600 successor. Although its just a matter of perspective as which feature you focus on. maybe its a M600/G500 love-child.
Yes, I think they both got into bed for this one. Looks like the Tron gene was suppressed.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:27 AM
l0wey
Pupil
Default Here Here

Mitchell0 said it.

3G is the way to go - if you ain't got it
We ain't interested.

With our new Next G network active why would we want anything less.
Go Aussies