Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 10-09-2006, 09:04 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default First Looks At Crossbow

http://www.msmobilenews.com/page/1489/

"Windows Mobile 5 is the current OS of choice for Windows Mobile users however the next iteration, codenamed Crossbow, has shown its face, check out the full Pocket PC homescreen shown above! It has a glossy title bar and soft keys and will feature Vista-esque folder icons etc. Pieter Knook, a Microsoft Sr. VP, has commented that Microsoft plan to release an upgrade to their mobile platform yearly which is interesting and could mean a new OS with every yearly upgrade for pay monthly contracts. Knook has also commented that Crossbow will have strong links with Office 2007 and Exchange 12 as well as including the mobile version of Office Communicator, an Instant Messenger tool for enterprises."

Crossbow is still a long ways off, but for now we can be content with seeing how the Today screen will change (slightly) in the next version of our OS of choice. I can't say it is anything breathtaking, but it's good to see something starting to leak out. It does have that blasted battery icon in the top bar - Please MS - tell us that we can disable that with a registry change!

Old 10-09-2006, 09:24 PM
deemota
Pupil

They brought the darn clock down again. Jeez. What's wrong with these people?

Old 10-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Brad Adrian
Editor Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to Brad Adrian Send a message via MSN to Brad Adrian

wow. new icons. gradient title bars. oooh.

I know there's probably (hopefully) some much more exciting stuff under the hood that can't be discussed yet, but I'd gladly go back to the flat-looking 2000 interface if the broken stuff would just get fixed -- including ActiveSync.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:59 PM
Perry Reed
Thinker
Send a message via AIM to Perry Reed Send a message via MSN to Perry Reed
Default Re: First Looks At Crossbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Westfall
It does have that blasted battery icon in the top bar - Please MS - tell us that we can disable that with a registry change!
Why do you want to get rid of that? I find it very useful.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:39 AM
Paragon
Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Reed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Westfall
It does have that blasted battery icon in the top bar - Please MS - tell us that we can disable that with a registry change!
Why do you want to get rid of that?
Because it removes the damn clock!!!! AAArrrrggggg!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Adrian
I'd gladly go back to the flat-looking 2000 interface if the broken stuff would just get fixed -- including ActiveSync.
How true, oh wise one. How true. Surely a Sultan of your stature should be able to rub a vase or something and make it happen.

Dave

Old 10-10-2006, 12:55 AM
T-Will
Sage

Hopefully there's a way to customize the title bar. For me, the battery icon only needs to display when the device gets down to 50% or less, but the clock should be there all the time.

Old 10-10-2006, 01:28 AM
griph
Philosopher
Send a message via MSN to griph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon
Only from the top bar in the Today View - and it is still visible immediately below when Today/Date Applet is loaded. In all other views you can set the Time to show using Settings/Clock/More/ and tick box - as surely you already know. I dont have a big problem with it either way, but I do agree with Perry that the battery is a useful icon.
:-)

Old 10-10-2006, 01:29 AM
Perry Reed
Thinker
Send a message via AIM to Perry Reed Send a message via MSN to Perry Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Will
Hopefully there's a way to customize the title bar. For me, the battery icon only needs to display when the device gets down to 50% or less, but the clock should be there all the time.
Ok, that's a pretty good idea. I guess I'd rather see the clock than the battery icon most of the time, unless as you say, the battery strength drops below 50%.

Old 10-10-2006, 01:37 AM
Paragon
Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by griph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon
Only from the top bar in the Today View
That's exactly where I want it, griph. The battery icon is pretty useless anyway. There is very little detail.....do I have 85% or 65%, it is rather hard to tell. There are much better battery level apps around that can place the info in several different places, and leave the clock alone.

Dave

Old 10-10-2006, 04:04 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

For all those wanting to change the battery/clock displays on their devices back to the old style, open a registry editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell, and modify the ShowTitleBarClock DWORD value from 0 to 1, and then soft-reset. Note that you need Windows Mobile 5.0's AKU 2.2 or higher for this to work.