Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 09-23-2006, 02:00 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Skweezer Technology Now Available in Bloglines

http://www.greenlightwireless.net/p.../060922_pr.aspx

"Greenlight Wireless Corporation announced that its Skweezer technology, which optimizes Web content for mobile devices, has been integrated into the mobile version of Bloglines (www.bloglines.com), the world's number one online RSS aggregator. Bloglines Mobile (mobile.bloglines.com) users now view "skweezed" versions of the Web pages they access through their favorite RSS feeds. This allows Bloglines to both accelerate download speeds and present content that is easier to view and navigate on the small displays found on cell phones and PDAs. With the Skweezer technology, Bloglines also provides mobile access to more content than ever before by using Skweezer's paging feature, which allows Web pages to load that would otherwise be too memory-intensive for most devices."

If you're a Bloglines user, the incorporation of Skweezer technology should help where tight bandwidth and/or quota restrictions are present. It boasts a page size reduction to 15% or less of the original, which is a significant decrease when you add up the number of pages viewed.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:45 PM
amc3141
Neophyte

actually, in some cases, this is more of a nusiance than a help . . .

lets say you are reading a New York Times, Wall Street Journal, or Pocket PC Thougts RSS feed via bloglines mobile

without skweezer, if you found an interesting RSS post, and wanted to go to the ''parent'' site [i.e. the origianl article on nytimes.com, or wsj.com, or pocketpcthoughts.com] you'd just tap on the title of the RSS item, and be taken to the site, you didn't have to log into nytimes.com, or wsj.com, or [if you wanted to post a comment], into pocketpcthoughts.com . . . cause the sites recognized your login cookie, [or if you didn't have a logon cookie, the login screen worked in pocket IE without skweezer]

but by intermediating skweezer, you logon cookie is not recognized ['cause it's skweezer that talks to wsj.com, not you], and the login screen[s] won't work under skweezer

what bloglines SHOULD have done was to make skweezer optional, or, even better, make it optional on a per feed basis [i.e. allow me to say don't use skweezer for this wsj.com feed, but do allow me to use skweezer on joel-on-software['s] feed]

Old 09-26-2006, 01:54 AM
kevinperkins
Neophyte

Quote:
without skweezer, if you found an interesting RSS post, and wanted to go to the ''parent'' site [i.e. the origianl article on nytimes.com, or wsj.com, or pocketpcthoughts.com] you'd just tap on the title of the RSS item, and be taken to the site, you didn't have to log into nytimes.com, or wsj.com, or [if you wanted to post a comment], into pocketpcthoughts.com . . . cause the sites recognized your login cookie, [or if you didn't have a logon cookie, the login screen worked in pocket IE without skweezer]
Actually, that's woefully incorrect. Skweezer isn't a dumb proxy. It maintains your state--as directed by the server you're accessing--via whatever cookies you'd normally receive. Without getting too much into a technical discussion about this... if the site you're accessing makes you log in every time on the desktop, then you're gonna have to do it on your mobile too as well--via Skweezer or not.

If you have any questions or problems, please visit our site or contact our customer care. We'll be happy to help you with whatever issues you're having. While Skweezer is arguably pretty cool, it isn't perfect, and some desktop sites just simply cannot be mobilized.

:wink:

Kevin Perkins
CEO, Greenlight Wireless

Old 09-26-2006, 09:04 AM
amc3141
Neophyte

>Actually, that's woefully incorrect.

are you saying that my inference that its a cookie probllem is incorrect . . . or are you saying i'm just imagining the problem?

>While Skweezer is arguably pretty cool, it isn't perfect,
>and some desktop sites just simply cannot be mobilized.

agreed, which is why bloglines-mobile should allow you to (selectivly, by rss feed) turn off skweezer

Old 09-26-2006, 11:44 AM
ChristopherTD
Thinker

I cannot get the skweezered Bloglines to work at present. It won't accept my login credentials using either PIE or Opera.

It did work earlier this morning (using WiFi), but seemed significantly slower than the normal Bloglines Mobile (which works pretty well).

I will try again when I get home, but I was surprised that I was asked to login again after successfully logging in this morning. I never need to log in to standard Bloglines Mobile (after the first time).

Old 10-04-2006, 06:28 PM
muaddip
Ponderer

In case you are interested, you can disable Skweezer for mobile use in the Feed Options tab of your account settings. Also, clicking on the options link above your feeds in the desktop version takes you right there.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:59 AM
Dave Beauvais
Pontificator

Is anyone else seeing major style problems in Bloglines Mobile? It seems that after they released the update to include "Playlists," the mobile version of posts looks rather bad. For the last week, reading feeds in Bloglines Mobile has been very difficult. The entire post from the title on down has the same style as the title, including the link. I reported it to Bloglines, but I haven't seen anyone else mention this anywhere, so I'm wondering now if I'm the only one seeing it for some reason.

Edit: Figures... I post this and the problem has been fixed. Should have checked one last time before posting.