Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 09-15-2006, 09:15 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Goodbye Annoying Password Time-Out Problem!

Quickly after the introduction of the AKU 2 release of Windows Mobile 5, I noticed a really annoying problem. In previous versions, whenever you left your device on with external power (With power properties set not to turn off the device), the password time out period was disabled. Thus, you could have the device nicely docked in your car, drive along happily, and rest assured that the device wouldn't start prompting your for your password as you operated a 2 ton piece of metal propelled down the highway. Or you could have your device act as an alarm clock and not have to key in your PIN number just to turn the dang thing off in the morning. Life was good.

All that changed with the AKU 2 release. Now that administrators could control the password policies on your device, more control was added to this time-out thing. The most annoying of which was the way it handled always-on power. Now if the device was powered on, but received no input within a set amount of time, BANG - password screen. Effectively annoying GPS users around the world, and promoting lax security habits (for example, I simply stopped using a PIN number - not a good idea!). Now I can see perfectly reasonable arguments why this is a good thing - devices left in a cradle at the office come to mind. Your desktop computer locks automatically after a period of non use, why not your Pocket PC as well. But for some of us that didn't find ourselves in that situation, the new 'feature" was more annoyance than anything.

I'd been mulling over the issue for months, searching bulletin boards for solutions, and finally gave up somewhere in May of this year. But today a ray of hope dawned and what I was searching for was finally found - how to turn back the clock and make things the way they SHOULD be!

XDA-Developers forum member Mutant posted back in June a registry tweak that, at the time, no one really commented on over on that board. The tweak was to change the following registry key:
Code:
<br /><br />HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\Security\LASSD\AE\{50C13377-C66D-400C-889E-C316FC4AB374}<br /><br />- The value called AEFrequencyType will be 1. Change it to 2.<br />
<br /><br />Being the diligent editor I am, I changed it and amazingly, my screen didn't time-out back to the password screen while on external power. Turning the device off and back on again after the time-out produced the desired effects (it prompted me for a password), but the tyranny of always prompting for a password was gone!<br /><br />One caveat that I discovered is the following: If you open the "Lock" applet in Control Panel to adjust anything (i.e. set a new password, change the time-out), the device will change that 2 back to a 1, making it necessary to change it back one again. This can be annoying, but not nearly as annoying as having to key the password in while driving. It should also be noted that if you have an administrator that has set password policies on your device, you're out of luck - the next time they update your 2 will be overwritten by a 1.<br /><br />So now my life is a bit easier than it was, anyone else been plagued by this or was I suffering in isolation?

Old 09-15-2006, 09:27 PM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

It surprises me still that changes in software aren't always thought through very well in how that change might affect how people use the software. I know it is impossible to consider every possible implementation, but this seems with the registry change (a setting) that this was left purposefully configurable without a UI to do such configuration - silly.

Software engineers... use this principle as a rule of thumb: Add functionality, but not at the cost of removing existing usability or functionality. Always add without taking away.

Old 09-15-2006, 09:36 PM
brianchris
Philosopher

There may (or may not) be other scenarios where this was a problem, but for GPS navigation, this was a HUGE issue!

Actually, before I read this post, I wasn't aware it was related to Windows Mobile / AKU2.....you see, I upgraded to a newer version of GPS navigation software (from iGuidence v2.x to 3.0) at the same time as I preformed the AKU2 ROM upgrade on my 8125. THEREFORE, while I have been heavily impacted by the issue, *I* thought the issue was related to the new version of iGuidence! Its been on my to-do list for some time to contact iGuidence support about it, but now I'm glad I never got around to it!

Your post made it clear what really was going on! And it made me realize that *I* wasn't the only one suffereing with this problem. Wow....thanks so much!!! My work-around to date was to increase my passwor time-out to two hours or so whenever I needed to use GPS (falls under tha catagory of poor password policies). The worst part is, IF your WM5 AKU 2 device was hooked up to any exchange box (hosted or not), you're FORCED to utilize a password (which, again, ultimately is a good thing, except in relationship to this problem).

Now, I haven't needed a Pocket PC registry editor in some time, so I'm not current on which ones are the best / most inexpensive for WM5.....can anyone make any suggestions? Soon I'll make that registry change and kiss that problem goodbye! (at least until I make any lock "changes" again). Hopefully soon, someone will make a utility to toggle this, or even better Microsoft will offer some sort of fix!

Thanks again!

Old 09-15-2006, 10:24 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

Wow, very nice. I set my timeout to 1 minute to test this out. Finnaly!

I will listen to music on my device while going to sleep some nights. I open media player, set it off and turn off the screen. After 15 minutes the nice dark room is lit by the screen turning back on and displaying the password screen! You can no longer shut the screen off with media player because of the password screen......

The GPS thing was irritating too. This hack is GREAT!!! :mrgreen:

Old 09-15-2006, 10:34 PM
Dave Beauvais
Pontificator

Thank you for posting this! I assumed it was A Treo Thing(TM). Since I installed the update on my Treo before I even used it for the first time, I never knew it didn't do this before the update. The only hands-on experience I had with WM5 prior to this was the horrible "upgrade" to WM5 for my hx4700; it didn't behave this way, so I figured it was something Palm did when tweaking things for one-handed operation.

In a way, I can see the logic behind the behavior. If I leave my device docked at my desk when walking out of the office to take a bio break or whatever, it might be nice to know that someone walking up wouldn't be able to just grab it and get to my contacts or e-mail. Of course about 95% of the time my Treo goes with me, but as a general rule, I understand the logic. Still, it's nice to be able to work around it.

If you have a registry editor that allows you to export and import .reg files, you could just export this setting and import it back in whenever necessary, such as after changing the password.

Thanks again for passing along the tip; it's very nice to have the ability to disable this annoying (to me) behavior!

Old 09-16-2006, 06:11 AM
weatheryoko
Pupil
Default I know that I'm tooting my own horn....

But you may want to look @ this solution. This solution is more permanent but a little more difficult that a simple one line reg hack. If it helps someone great....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/view...ce+lock+tomtom

Old 09-16-2006, 01:02 PM
Faenad
Pupil

It's also possible to create a small exe file, to be put in the windows/startup folder, that change automatically the value to 2 at each reset.

The same trick is used to have Cleartype enabled in landscape and staying that way (at each reset the necessary registry changes were reverted to default).

Old 09-16-2006, 04:28 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default Re: I know that I'm tooting my own horn....

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatheryoko
But you may want to look @ this solution. This solution is more permanent but a little more difficult that a simple one line reg hack. If it helps someone great....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/view...ce+lock+tomtom
This solution, in my eyes, is a very poor one. You're basically running another application, in the background, just to emulate activity so the timeout never times out. Just another piece of the puzzle that can go wrong. The registry key, despite needing to be re-done after editing the password properties, is a better solution because - really - how often do you edit your password properties? I usually (to steal a line from Ron Popeil) just "Set it and forget it" after a hard-reset.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:19 AM
gregh
Ponderer
Send a message via MSN to gregh

thanks for posting this Jon, I've been suffering with this problem for ages, emailed TomTom support and various folk with no luck!

Just off to try it out now

I hope you don't mind if I post a link from my website back to this page to help others out.

For the guy asking about what regeditor to use, I used PHM

http://www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/RegEdit/

Regards,

Greg

Old 09-18-2006, 10:58 AM
ChristopherTD
Thinker

Jon

Thanks for posting this, I had enabled that tweak but lost it after a hard reset and couldn't remember where it had come from. Trying to find anything on XDA Developers is enormously difficult - just too much stuff to sift through.

I shall make a note of this for next time!