Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 09-14-2006, 05:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Windows Live for Mobile Launched

http://mobile.live.com/

Windows Live for Mobile is, uh... live here. Simply grab your Pocket PC and visit mobile.live.com or tap the existing MSN Mobile favourite included in Internet Explorer Mobile (it automatically redirects to the Windows Live portal). You'll find a bundle of Live services available: Mail, Spaces (both previously in beta), Local, MSNBC News, Fox Sports, Weather, Money, and Entertainment - and still in beta, Search, Live.com, and MSN.com. All of the services feature redesigned layouts that enhance mobile readability and usability.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:10 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

ICK --- Is there a way to get back to the "standard" hotmail site? This was obviously desinged for mobile phones not PIE. The subjects are all cut off when I still have half the screen available, and there appears to be no way to view an HTML message with images. It seems users don't have an option on features, they get what MS has decided is "LIVE".

Old 09-14-2006, 08:01 PM
Eugenia
Ponderer
Send a message via ICQ to Eugenia Send a message via AIM to Eugenia Send a message via MSN to Eugenia Send a message via Yahoo to Eugenia Send a message via Skype™ to Eugenia

No, there is no way to go back to the old Hotmail.

I like the new version of the Mobile MSN, but I really don't like this huge gap between the beginning of the page and the "Windows Live" logo. We just lost 16 vertical pixels right there! Someone needs to learn that old HTML tags (like topmargin) are not useless just yet (given the fact that support for CSS is spotty yet on PIE).

Old 09-14-2006, 08:36 PM
toaddodger
Pupil

I still like MiniSphere better. You won't get very much from the mobile internet using only Microsoft sites.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:23 PM
Phillip Dyson
Mystic

Where are the Zune/Xbox features? :lol:

Phone: Nexus one Backup Phone: AT&T Samsung Jack; Future Phone: I'm Watching WP7; Media Player: Platinum Zune HD 32GB; Home Server: HP MediaSmart Server LX195 Console: XBox 360, PS3, Wii

Old 09-15-2006, 04:12 AM
bnycastro
Sage
Send a message via MSN to bnycastro Send a message via Yahoo to bnycastro

It doesn't look to well on a VGA device.

Old 09-15-2006, 07:14 AM
srmz
Ponderer
Default Standard Hotmail Site

One way to get back to the standard hotmail site is to install ReenSoft PIE Plus. This gives you an option to define your user-agent so that PIE identifies itself as I.E. 6.0. With this option ON just type the address www.hotmail.com and you are into the regular hotmail site.

Likewise there are other Internet browsers such as Opera 8.60 and NetFront 3.3 which have similar options.

I am afraid there is no "Free" way to get back to the standard hotmail site.

Regards

Old 09-15-2006, 07:35 AM
bnycastro
Sage
Send a message via MSN to bnycastro Send a message via Yahoo to bnycastro

@srmz: following your trail of thought [for lack of a better term] theoretically if registry hacks are used to make PIE appear as IE6 then one can use the regular hotmail site, is this correct [I've never used this hack but I know there is one and I don't use hotmail anymore]?

Old 09-15-2006, 01:29 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

I think it's ridiculous that we have to resort to third party software or hacks to allow our WINDOWS mobile devices to get a decent experience with MS' own LIVE mobile site. Once again it shows how little thought MS gives to WM when the rest of the company makes decisions. There is no reasonable explanation that would explain why someone with a WM device and PIE shouldn't be able to view HTML e-mail from MS's own mail servers, if they want to. It's like they think LIVE mobile will only be used from free give away type phones without a full web browser. :bad-words:

It's 2006 for goodness sake!