Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 09-14-2006, 06:30 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default UTStarcom Reveals SMT5800 (EV-DO Enabled)

Another device designed to tease the public - the UTStarcom SMT5800 (codenamed, Libra). Yes, like the PPC6800, specs are a big question mark. However, Phone Scoop is reporting that the SMT5800 is EV-DO enabled and is set for a Q1 2007 launch. A GSM version is also expected sometime next year. Based on the picture above, we're liking what we see. Compact form factor with a slide-out QWERTY keyboard and external numeric keypad, Windows Mobile 5.0, and more of that sparkling action.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:14 AM
Silver5
Intellectual

Well, based on the looks of this ones and the features I'll assume it comes with, I'd switch services to get one. Keypad on the outside and keyboard on the slide is really impressive.

Ok, I have changed my mind. It is nice but I don't know if it would make me change services. I do like it though...hopefully it isn't too big/long like the BenQ thing. I have no interest in a phone I can use to play cricket!

Old 09-14-2006, 11:50 AM
MarcTGFG
Ponderer

Am I the only one missing a d-pad or joystick?

Old 09-14-2006, 01:59 PM
Jeff Kirvin
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcTGFG
Am I the only one missing a d-pad or joystick?
I'm guessing it has a Hermes-style scroll wheel on the side.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:30 PM
MarcTGFG
Ponderer

But that would only work either in landscape or portrait mode, hard to think of a location for a scroll wheel which can be easily and comfortably accessed in both modes...

Old 09-14-2006, 03:04 PM
JesterMania
Thinker

Reminds me of the W-ZERO3 WS007SH. I hope it's VGA...

Old 09-14-2006, 03:45 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

My first thought was "Wow, where do I sign up?" My second thought was, "hmm, how will I navigate in portrait mode? There's no DPad, or Start or OK key. That's means that other than dialing I'd have to use the stylus."

Perhaps there will be a way to navigate using the number pad when the cursor is not on an entry field. 2 is up, 0 is down, 4 is left and 6 is right, or something like that. That may be sufficient. I hope that there is some sort of solution though, because I really like the idea! :mrgreen:

Old 09-14-2006, 05:03 PM
adamz
Thinker

Also notice it's hardware buttons are for the WM5 Smartphone OS. I'm betting they put the wrong screen capture on here.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:07 PM
whydidnt
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz
Also notice it's hardware buttons are for the WM5 Smartphone OS. I'm betting they put the wrong screen capture on here.
Good catch, also the naming seems to fit with the previous SMT5600 which was a Smartphone doesnt' it? I really hope its full WM for PPC, not Smartphone, but I guess we'll have to wait to find out.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:53 PM
d-roC
Pupil
Send a message via AIM to d-roC Send a message via Yahoo to d-roC

Nice device, reallt nice update from HTC on this one. I wonder if the JOGGR strip would make an appearance. I think that would be a "different" means of navigating in landscape mode, but usable lest it would get hit often.

Though I do think the keyboard is cramped. Tis just me though. It should work for most.