Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone News

Old 09-13-2006, 02:00 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Samsung Announces Next-Generation Non-Volatile Memory (PRAM)

http://www.samsung.com/PressCenter/...911_0000286481#

"Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., the world leader in advanced semiconductor technology solutions, announced that it has completed the first working prototype of what is expected to be the main memory device to replace high density NOR flash within the next decade � a Phase-change Random Access Memory (PRAM). The company unveiled the 512M-Megabit (Mb) device at its sixth annual press conference in Seoul today."

I totally dig this. In 2008, the fast processing speeds of RAM (since previous data no longer needs to be erased when writing new data) and the non-volatility of ROM will combine to create PRAM: perfect RAM. It's expected to have at least ten times the life span of standard flash memory. For those of you still not wanting to upgrade to Windows Mobile 5.0 and beyond because of the ROM performance hit, this could be your ticket.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:11 AM
wajical
Neophyte

I still think that Apple is leading in this form of memory by putting a harddrive in their devices.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:45 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajical
I still think that Apple is leading in this form of memory by putting a harddrive in their devices.
Welcome to PPCT wajical - but I don't think Apple has had to deal with the kind of issues Windows Mobile does - playing songs is far less taxing than a full scale OS, and Apple doesn't need to handle all the other associated hardware that a WM device has too. It's one thing to use memory chips, it's quite another to shove a 2.5" or 1.8" hard drive, with the associated heat, next to sensitive electronic components.

In any case, if a Windows Mobile device has a CFII slot it's a fairly easy matter to add a hard drive. This is also what Sharp did with their Zaurus line (4GB/6GB) and Palm did with the Lifedrive (4GB) - and both have heat and speed issues. The problem with hard drives as opposed to flash memory is that they're s-l-o-w, even slower than the storage ROM used currently (I'm speaking from experience here). That's why Samsung's development is more than welcome.

Old 09-13-2006, 02:25 PM
JKingGrim
Intellectual

So how many years until this actually surfaces into a device? There have been so many revolutionary technologies announced in the past. I have yet to see any of them. Why must it take so long?

As a side note, if this is adopted in future PPCs for storage, I dont see why it wouldnt also be used for program memory too. It would definately increase battery life to have all nonvolatile memory. Hmmm, all memory on one chip once again. Return of the storage/program memory slider? 8O

Old 09-13-2006, 05:35 PM
TOCA
Intellectual

It vill get even better, there is allready CPU's with build in memory on the way 8)

Take a look at the ORSiO: http://www.orsio.com/index.php?langu...roduct=n725gps

64MB Strata Flash (on CPU) 8)

Old 09-13-2006, 08:20 PM
Joff
Ponderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCA
It vill get even better, there is allready CPU's with build in memory on the way 8)

Take a look at the ORSiO: http://www.orsio.com/index.php?langu...roduct=n725gps

64MB Strata Flash (on CPU) 8)
Yop, my brand new HTC Hermes (also known as MDA vario II) comes with this Samsung chip where the processor (with its on-chip peripherals) is stacked with 128MB NAND Flash and Mobile 64MB SDRAM into a single package! 8O

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semi...42/sc32442.htm

This is how they can squeeze so many features into this wonderful little device 8)

Samsung's 'late' entry into the Mobile ARM processor business is a blessing I'm truely impressed!
And HTC has been very quick on capitalising on Samsung's prowess 0X