Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 08-21-2006, 04:30 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Cingular 8525 (HTC Hermes) Pics Leaked, Sports PTT?

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=244422

Here's some exciting and promising GSM Pocket PC news for American customers: not only have pictures of Cingular's Hermes device, called the "8525", been leaked, they suggest that PTT (push-to-talk) has been added. 8O Modaco suggests that it's the Hermes 100 model, instead of the 200 model we've already seen a lot of. (An even higher, press-quality image is on XDA-Developers; another interesting fact is that the 100 seems to omit a forward-facing camera.)

Previous rumors have suggested a late-summer-to-fall timeframe, which makes sense, but PTT would come as a complete surprise to me. I doubt WM has built-in support for it, although I guess an OEM could add it. In any case, if Cingular places this device at the right price point, I might be tempted to finally jump the crippled-EVDO-ship.

Old 08-21-2006, 04:47 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus

Now there's a good looking device, with the right colour coordination. The black/grey isn't overpowering.

Old 08-21-2006, 05:17 AM
JonnoB
Mystic
Send a message via AIM to JonnoB Send a message via MSN to JonnoB Send a message via Yahoo to JonnoB

No front facing camera... no videophone. :?

Old 08-21-2006, 06:28 AM
ADBrown
Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnoB
Do you really want to have to style your hair for a phone call? :lol:

Old 08-21-2006, 06:31 AM
Silver5
Intellectual

That really is a nice looking Pocket PC phone. I really do like it. I don't think it is worth the current extreme prices but I may buy one in a few months. I can't benefit from the high speed access for at least that long anyways...my Qtek 9000 and 9100 will have to hold me over until then!

I really hope T-Mobile releases it as well. Once they have their higher speed networks this phone will be a real upgrade from the 9100/MDA/K-Jam.

Old 08-21-2006, 06:35 AM
Gator5000e
Intellectual

Looks great. If speeds are as predicted I will be trading up from the 8125.

Any news if net access will still be via MEdiaNet for 19.99 or will it go to the higher pda unlimited price?

Old 08-21-2006, 08:35 AM
nitestrike
Intellectual

I'm all but there if it's not expensive. Not much bigger than my JAMin and a keyboard.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:43 AM
beq
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnoB
I too was getting intriqued by this novelty feature Seems like it would be another great app to showcase Cingular's UMTS speed...

But does anyone know how the HTC TyTN's (Hermes 200) built-in videophone app work? Can you only do video calling with other TyTN users??

P.S. Is it just the Cingular 8525 that doesn't have the front-facing camera, or does the Hermes 100 design itself omit it?

Old 08-21-2006, 09:05 AM
Nurhisham Hussein
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beq
But does anyone know how the HTC TyTN's (Hermes 200) built-in videophone app work? Can you only do video calling with other TyTN users??
No, you should be able to do videocalls between any UMTS device (with a front camera) on the same network. Here in Malaysia we can even videocall across carrier networks. Costs an arm and a leg though, and probably the least utilised part of the 3G services here.

Old 08-21-2006, 09:21 AM
stllhogan
Ponderer

i've been waiting for this for a few months since i heard the rumors of it coming to cingular, i started to disbelive after what seems like forever. i bought a micro sd card knowing this would be my next pda/phone. ill probally upgrade in oct because my contract lessens and i will get a discount. and if not ill just buy the thing whole, i was looking on the uk sites today and thought $630 seemed decent enough.

it's sad that there is no camera, im not to intrested in the video confrencing but i might use it or to take a picture/mirror myself. but the sadest part in my mind, is that the front camera kinda was pushing new technology, i mean it starts with one, but then it grows, who knows maybe it will save dramatic amounts of money or cingular wasn't set up for it yet. both ways its mine.

it also seems time to upgrade from my 2002 genio e550g, out of date i must say, :cry: