Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 08-01-2006, 02:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default E-TEN Announces the G500+

http://www.etencorp.com/products/Co...ation/G500+.php

"E-TEN Information Systems has announced that its business/travel focused Pocket PC Phone, the G500 with built-in GPS, will get a hardware refresh early next month. The upgraded product, which will be called the G500+, will feature increased 256MB flash memory and new FM radio functions, and will include support for Direct Push technology along with enhancements to boost the performance of GPS communications."

The lack of Wi-Fi and EDGE/3G support aside, there's not a lot wrong with the G500+. Like its sibling, the M600+, the G500+ features a fast Samsung 400MHz CPU, 64MB RAM, 256MB ROM, quad-band GSM/GPRS support, Bluetooth 2.0, and Windows Mobile 5.0 with the MSFP. It also includes updated FM radio and GPS functionality to help you go the extra mile.

Old 08-01-2006, 04:45 PM
joelevi
Intellectual
Default G-500

Anyone want to venture to guess if we'll be able to flash our G-500's (not the + version) with the + version's ROM?

I'd really like to get push email someday....

- Joe Levi, http://www.JoeLevi.com

Old 08-01-2006, 06:12 PM
Darius Wey
Default Re: G-500

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLevi
I'd really like to get push email someday....
If the M600/M600+ is anything to go by, E-TEN will most likely release an AKU 2.x (push e-mail) update for the G500. It's only a matter of time.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:20 PM
WyattEarp
Sage

The M600+ looks like a PPCPE I'd like in my pocket. Can someone tell me how they run? Any really annoying issues?

Old 08-02-2006, 03:34 AM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattEarp
The M600+ looks like a PPCPE I'd like in my pocket. Can someone tell me how they run? Any really annoying issues?
The M600+ is essentially the same as the M600 in operation. If you have the time, check out the review that I wrote, and the er... 338 replies. 8O

Just bear in mind that with the M600+, the Bluetooth specification has been upgraded to v2.0, there is more ROM (now, 256MB), and a 2.0-megapixel camera. Both the M600 and M600+ now include the push-email update.

I will be getting an M600+ eventually, so expect an updated review in the near future.

Old 08-02-2006, 06:22 AM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

In my experience, 64MB of RAM on a WM5 phone edition device runs out rather quickly. I think that adding more RAM and upping the ROM slightly would be better than simply doubling (I assume the original version had 128MB) the ROM.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:23 AM
tom dunne
Pupil
Send a message via MSN to tom dunne

So near and yet so far.

This would be the perfect phone if they included WiFi. Oh well, I suppose you can't have everything.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:48 PM
phate
Neophyte
Default Eten

If it had Wifi, a thumboard, and a VGA screen i'd be all over it

Old 08-03-2006, 12:24 AM
ricksfiona
Pontificator
Send a message via AIM to ricksfiona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Wey
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattEarp
The M600+ is essentially the same as the M600 in operation. If you have the time, check out the review that I wrote, and the er... 338 replies. 8O

Just bear in mind that with the M600+, the Bluetooth specification has been upgraded to v2.0, there is more ROM (now, 256MB), and a 2.0-megapixel camera. Both the M600 and M600+ now include the push-email update.

I will be getting an M600+ eventually, so expect an updated review in the near future.
When the M600+ gets EDGE, I'll totally get it! That's the only thing holding me back...

Old 08-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Darius Wey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksfiona
When the M600+ gets EDGE, I'll totally get it! That's the only thing holding me back...
I don't think the M600+ itself will receive an EDGE update. Rather, perhaps some other E-TEN device later down the track. M700, maybe?