Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Software

Old 07-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Ed Hansberry
Contributing Editor Emeritus
Default ActiveSync 4.2 Released

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/activesync42.mspx

Microsoft has released ActiveSync 4.2 for Windows Mobile 5 devices. While it will work with Windows Mobile 2002, 2003 and 2003SE clients, I don't recommend you upgrade unless you have a WM5 device as 4.x removes your ability to remote sync via the network, either via WiFi or over the internet. The fixes include:

� Resolves issues relating to error code 85010014.
� Proxy/DTPT interaction Improvements: Improved auto configuration of device Connection Manager settings when desktop has no proxy path to the internet.
� Improved Desktop Pass Thru behavior with ISA proxy failures.
� Partnership improvements: Better resolution of multiple devices with the same name syncing with the same desktop.
� Connectivity Improvements: Better handling of VPN clients (resolve unbinding of protocols from our RNDIS adapter). New auto detection of connectivity failure with user diagnostic alerts.

It is a 7MB download.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:53 PM
ipaq_wannabe
Thinker
Send a message via MSN to ipaq_wannabe

still not able to turn on "manual sync"...?

Old 07-06-2006, 02:28 PM
jalex
Ponderer
Default 85010014 issue fixed

Well, I guess I really was born under a lucky star. Monday I removed a bunch of extraneous junk from my Dell laptop (AOL, earthlink trial, netzero trial, Norton, etc.) and got the dreaded 85010014 error of doom!

After much pain and frustration, and just before I threw my laptop through the nearest window, MS release this little puppy ... and guess what! I'm all working perfectly again!

Old 07-06-2006, 07:12 PM
haesslich
Intellectual

This doesn't appear to be fixing my issue with the USB Sync problem - it still stops recognizing the PDA after about a minute. :P

Go go ActiveStink. :P

Old 07-06-2006, 09:57 PM
Jason Lee
Contributing Editor

Works perfect for me... of course so did the last version.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:22 AM
haesslich
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lee
Works perfect for me... of course so did the last version.
I still don't know why it's doing this to me, despite a complete reformat of Windows, and even replacement of hard drives and motherboard. :P

Old 07-07-2006, 12:48 AM
rookcnu
Intellectual
Send a message via AIM to rookcnu Send a message via Skype™ to rookcnu
Default VPN

For those of us who are not in the know,... can you explain to me what you mean by "Better handling of VPN clients"?

I use a VPN client on my laptop when I am out of town and connect back to my office PC. Are you saying that I could sync my Pocket PC with my office computer while out of town using the VPN client on my laptop?

Or, are you saying that the Pocket PC is using a VPN client to connect with something? If this is the case, can you let me know what VPN clients are available for my Cingular 8125 running Windows Mobile 5? Because I have been trying to find one that will work for me.

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2006, 05:04 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haesslich
I still don't know why it's doing this to me, despite a complete reformat of Windows, and even replacement of hard drives and motherboard. :P
If you haven't tried a hard reset of the Pocket PC, then you might want to try that. Otherwise, it sounds like a hardware issue. Have you gotten it reliably syncing on any PC ever?

--janak

Old 07-07-2006, 05:07 AM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default Re: VPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookcnu
For those of us who are not in the know,... can you explain to me what you mean by "Better handling of VPN clients"?
If I understand correctly, it's a lot less exciting than you think. ActiveSync 4.x uses 169.254.*-based IP connections between the Pocket PC and the desktop. Many VPN clients shut down access to any IPs except the VPNed network, and this would break AS functionality. I'm not sure how MS would have worked around this, but I'd assume this is a functionality MS has improved, although do note network sync has not returned to AS 4.2, even over a VPN.

--janak

Old 07-07-2006, 06:10 AM
haesslich
Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janak Parekh
Quote:
Originally Posted by haesslich
If you haven't tried a hard reset of the Pocket PC, then you might want to try that. Otherwise, it sounds like a hardware issue. Have you gotten it reliably syncing on any PC ever?

--janak
Did the hard reset too, and I've only got one PC to work with, unless you count the complete MB swap and Windows reinstall (to a new hard drive) as a second PC. It'll connect fine the first time, but then you have to reboot to get it to connect again. Or if you leave it alone for about 20 minutes, that also causes it to go away - and I can't find any sort of 'timeout' feature in Activesync's options. This is with it in the cradle, too - so it's got AC power, and is set NOT to auto-shutdown while on External Power.

Another fine MS product. :P