Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 07-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts
Default VersaCharger Pro Review

Product Category: Charger / Accessory
Manufacturer: BoxWave
Where to Buy: BoxWave.Com
Price: $34.95 USD
System Requirements: Device or product that charges through USB.
Specifications: Provides up to 1 amp power output, compatible with most USB-charged devices.

Pros:
  • 1 Charger, 2 charging sources;
  • 1 charger, multiple devices;
  • Port on front of device.
Cons:
  • Cap could get lost easily;
  • Bulkier than original;
  • Port on front of device.
Summary:Trying to carry less is every geek or frequent traveler�s dream. While USB has come a long way to let us charge more efficiently, those who go from car to office and back again require two chargers. BoxWave changed that with the introduction of their VersaCharger, and now the successor is out refining the flaws of the original. But is it worth the upgrade? Quite possibly!

Read on for the full review!

The Device

Figure 1: The VersaCharger Pro Packaging, an improvement over the plain BoxWave box I received VersaCharger 1 in!

The device ships in a plain plastic case, nicely seated, albeit not too securely (the device was sideways in the package when I took it out!). Still, with no moving parts, it was more than adequately protected.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the original VersaCharger, the pictures should speak for themselves. It's a USB-based charger (meaning that most any device that charges through USB should be able to be charged by it) that can be plugged into the wall or into your car's cigarette lighter plugs. The little cap on top (which I consider far too lose-able, so keep tabs on where you place it!) covers the contacts used for charging in the car, while the contacts used for wall charging fold up into the base of the unit.

Upon removing the device from its plastic home, I immediately noticed how much bigger it was compared to my old VersaCharger, but more on that later. The new version claims to support power-hungry devices, providing up to 1 amp of power while utilizing an "intelligent chip" that shuts off the juice before your device fries.

Figure 2: Out of the packaging.

It also includes an LED that is supposed to turn red when charging and green when done, however my K-JAM and JasJar both shown a yellow charge light while the VersaCharger stayed solid green. Strange. The version that I was shipped is the North America version, with a UK version also available that doesn't require the user to use a pin adapter.

Compared To The Older Brother

Figure 3: VC Pro is quite a bit bigger than its older brother.

As I mentioned before, the second generation is quite a bit bigger than the previous. When wrapping my hands around both units, the tips of my fingers can touch below my thumb with a VersaCharger - they're miles away with the new version. The extra bulk is undoubtedly due to the increased power output and the repositioning of the USB port.

While we're on the subject, BoxWave claims that the USB port was moved "so you can charge the device without taking up two outlets". Their reasoning is simple - cord hangs from bottom, nix outlet below if it's plugged into the outlet above. If the charger is plugged into the lower outlet, the car charging plug will cover the top outlet. However, in my extremely scientific testing (i.e. I plugged the old one into the top outlet), I found the bottom outlet could easily be used. But whatever, the outlet is moved, for better or worse. While I think the new design makes a lot of sense for wall outlet charging, I could see potential troubles when charging in the car, as the USB cord would stick up perpendicular to the cigarette lighter plug. So depending on your particular car, an issue could arise. Of course this is easily alleviated by purchasing a small extension adapter for the car plug. Still, something bugs me about the moving of the port, and I don't quite know why!

Figure 4: Side by side comparison. Version 2 will definitely take up a bit more space, but the new port location may be worth it.

Another change on the new unit involves the power prongs that go into the wall. The previous unit kept the prongs tight up against the body of the charger, while the unit I received to review featured prongs that were larger and dangled a centimeter or so away from the device if held upside down. I figure this is probably due to the manufacturing process needing to be versatile enough to support putting either the UK or US plug on the unit. I don't foresee this being an issue other than the device could potentially get caught up while sliding it in and out of tight spaces (such as a gear bag). I also found that plugging the device into the wall required more care since the prongs were looser. If I plugged it in too quickly (and not straight on) the prongs were pushed back up into their folded position! I suppose that reinforces the good common sense approach - be nice to expensive toys and their accessories!

Charge It Up!
For the charging benchmark, I chose a day when I didn't have to go anywhere (thus I could have my device on the charger all day) and let the device run down overnight. I conducted the test with my i-Mate K-JAM, using the recommended MiniSync cable that BoxWave provided. When I looked at the device in the morning, it was at around 50% battery. After 2 hours of charging, the device was fully back up to 100%. While not precisely the same, this is fairly consistent with what I see on my wall charger that came with the unit - Nice!

Perhaps the best charging scenario (where the device can be left unused and to charge for hours at a time) is unrealistic given that this charger can charge both on a wall and in a car. I know there are plenty of times I've been driving and realized that my device was getting pretty low - it appears that the VersaCharger Pro would have really helped me out there.

Overall there really isn't much to say about the VersaCharger's performance. I never did see a red light as it said I would in the promotional material I received, but I really didn't care - that's what a charging indicator on the device is for. The VersaCharger performed as advertised, which is all I could ask for.

Ultimate Combinations
BoxWave advertises that a VersaCharger and a MiniSync cable are the ultimate combination when it comes to mobile charging, and I have to agree - they work out nicely. I personally carry the following and find that it meets 95% of my charging needs:

1. USB A Female to Male Retractable Cable (i.e. a USB Extension cable)
2. VersaCharger Pro
3. Tips for Mini-USB Charging (As posted by Jason Langridge earlier this year, this little import kicks serious butt!)
4. JAVOEdge DC Charging Adapter, which also kicks butt!.

All told those take up a very small amount of space in my bag, and are flexible enough. If I know I'm going on a trip where I need additional adapters, they easily stow as well. If you're still carrying around a dedicated car USB charger, wall USB charger, mini-USB cable, regular USB cable, and special adapters for DC charging (i.e. bluetooth headphones, cameras), then this setup could greatly reduce your load.

Conclusions
In short, the VersaCharger Pro by BoxWave will serve the mobile warrior quite well. You'll find extra space in the bag, and will be able to charge most anywhere you go. Pair it up with a retractable cable and you're set. Users of VersaCharger may want to upgrade if their current power needs are not being met by the older design, or if they desire the USB port to be on the front.

Jon Westfall is a fairly busy guy, with being a contributing editor here and serving on the Pocket PC Magazine Board of Experts. He posts a lot of weird stuff (such as his weekly war with his grass, odd pictures, strange news stories, etc..) in his blog at jonwestfall.com!

Old 07-03-2006, 08:52 PM
ctmagnus
5000+ Posts? I Should OWN This Site!

fwiw, I have the original VersaCharger and the LED flips between red and green while the attached device indicates it is still charging.

Old 07-04-2006, 12:04 AM
Jon Westfall
Executive Editor, Android Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmagnus
fwiw, I have the original VersaCharger and the LED flips between red and green while the attached device indicates it is still charging.
I just received word from Boxwave that the original material I had been given was in error, the new LED is not designed to change colors. This actually makes more sense to me, as I think the old charger may have had issues figuring out when a device was charged and when it wasn't, so the LED would report incorrect status (I remember a few devices I had that "confused" the VersaCharger).

Old 07-04-2006, 01:13 AM
frankenbike
Intellectual

I find my old Versacharger doesn't quite charge up my Axim, and I once had it yank the prongs out and leave them in the socket.

I wish they had an upgrade path to exchange the old ones for the new ones, but somehow I doubt it.

Old 07-08-2006, 07:46 PM
klanum
Ponderer

Has anyone tried either of the Versachargers with the Gomadic.com's TipExchange Charge/Sync Cables? Seems to me that this would be the ultimate in traveling lite for your PDA and Phone needs.

Old 07-13-2006, 01:53 AM
BoxWave
Thinker

Hi everybody ,

I've got a 10% off everything at BoxWave coupon -- great write up John.

707170629 -- just put that in special instructions and you'll be on your way.

Wing Yew

Old 07-20-2006, 01:25 AM
BoxWave
Thinker

Jon,

You want to team up for a giveaway in a couple of months? shoot me an email. Oh, and the price of the VersaCharger PRO has changed (25.95).

Wing Yew

Old 09-14-2006, 07:07 PM
astromusic
Neophyte
Default Infant mortality issue with Versacharger Pro

I bought a brand new Versacharger Pro, which arrived last Friday. I got to use it for the first time on Tuesday, and it worked fine to charge my GPS unit.

However, when I went to use it again Wednesday night, I discovered that the plug that folds in and out was rather loose. I did not remember that from the previous night, and sure enough, when I plug it into the outlet, it does not make a good contact. As long as I am pushing and holding, the light is green, as soon as I let go, it turns off.

I have sent email to Boxwave support last night and am awaiting their reply. In the meantime I was wondering if this was just an isolated incident, or if there is a systematic problem with this unit. Any experiences?

-Kal.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:54 AM
vertigo_2_20
Neophyte
Default poor product design

I bought a VersaCharger PRO about two years ago, and initially thought it was a great product. The idea behind it, I still believe, is a fantastic one. Externally, the design is great, including putting the AC prongs so close to the edge so it doesn't block two outlets.

Internally, however, the design is not only flawed, but it is unforgivable. First of all, making it so the charger has to be disassembled to replace the fuse, exposing capacitors and circuitry as well as quite possibly leading loss of loose pieces, is ridiculous. So many car chargers have screw on/off caps that make this task so much simpler, there's no reason for them not to have done this.

Second, and this is what prompted me to write this, as well as what made me notice the poor fuse replacement design, is the design of the AC contacts is just plain horrid. My charger stopped working, needing to be forcefully pressed into the outlet to get power. After a brief look, I immediately spotted the problem: The contacts inside are just bent pieces of metal resting on a sheet of plastic, and the AC prongs, when flipped out, press against them. Over time (and I've only used this charger a few times, which makes this even more upsetting), the prongs didn't make contact with them any more.

So I disassembled the charger, bent the contacts to make them easier to be reached by the prongs, then reassembled it. I even had to use two of my own screws because the ones it came with wouldn't go back in. One was too large for the hole it came out of and one was too small (no, I did not switch them), because they apparently were barely the right size to begin with. Once I had it all reassembled, I found I had tightened the screw holding the plastic plate (I still can't believe the design with that) too much, to the point I couldn't extend the AC prongs, so I had to disassemble it again and loosen it up a little. And after all this, while it does work as it should now, it still has a loud, electrical hum, which I had also noticed when I first discovered it wasn't working properly.

All in all, a great product idea, with a lot of promise, and the few times I used it it seemed to work quite well. However, the lack of quality in the design and construction make what could, and should, have been a great charger into a second-rate product I would definitely not buy again as is and I would not recommend to others. My intent is not to bash the company or its products, simply to give my honest opinion on it through my experience, in the hopes it will result in changes for the better.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:24 PM
luap42
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Westfall View Post
The little cap on top (which I consider far too lose-able, so keep tabs on where you place it!) covers the contacts used for charging in the car,...
Quote:
But whatever, the outlet is moved, for better or worse. While I think the new design makes a lot of sense for wall outlet charging, I could see potential troubles when charging in the car, as the USB cord would stick up perpendicular to the cigarette lighter plug. So depending on your particular car, an issue could arise.
Quote:
Another change on the new unit involves the power prongs that go into the wall. The previous unit kept the prongs tight up against the body of the charger, while the unit I received to review featured prongs that were larger and dangled a centimeter or so away from the device if held upside down. I figure this is probably due to the manufacturing process needing to be versatile enough to support putting either the UK or US plug on the unit. I don't foresee this being an issue other than the device could potentially get caught up while sliding it in and out of tight spaces (such as a gear bag). I also found that plugging the device into the wall required more care since the prongs were looser. If I plugged it in too quickly (and not straight on) the prongs were pushed back up into their folded position! I suppose that reinforces the good common sense approach - be nice to expensive toys and their accessories!
To say that this is the worst review I have read in a long time would be understating the case. The author notices plenty of flaws in design and yet still gives the device the thumbs up! He also fails to analyse that attempts to redesign a design fault in the previous version is now being marketed as a selling point! But worst of all he does not assess the quality of this rubbish, even though he does notice the weakest point for failure (the fold down power plug). He then goes on to say be nice to expensive accessories, rather than failing it on quality grounds!!!

Quote:
The VersaCharger performed as advertised, which is all I could ask for.
And what about quality and longevity, are these not required?!

Quote:
Conclusions
In short, the VersaCharger Pro by BoxWave will serve the mobile warrior quite well. You'll find extra space in the bag, and will be able to charge most anywhere you go. Pair it up with a retractable cable and you're set. Users of VersaCharger may want to upgrade if their current power needs are not being met by the older design, or if they desire the USB port to be on the front.
Abysmal review, not worth the time or effort of reading.