Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Hardware

Old 06-30-2006, 03:00 AM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default Dopod Introduces the CHT 9000 (HTC Hermes)

http://www.dopodasia.com/Dopod/Taiw...000/default.htm

Asian-Pacific-based company, Dopod, has just introduced the CHT 9000 (HTC Hermes) through Taiwanese carrier, Chunghwa Telecom (CHT). The device features a Samsung 400MHz CPU, 64MB RAM, 128MB ROM, quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE/W-CDMA connectivity, Bluetooth 2.0, 802.11b/g Wi-Fi, a microSD slot, a 2.8" QVGA (240 x 320) TFT-LCD, a 2.0-megapixel camera, a slide-out QWERTY keyboard (with Chinese character support), and Windows Mobile 5.0 with the MSFP. Sources indicate a $25,800 TWD price tag (~$790 USD) with a free 512MB memory card and a Bluetooth headset. Any Taiwanese readers among us considering this device?

Old 06-30-2006, 03:53 AM
txcas
Pupil

You will be able to get the same device from Expansys in July:
http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=TYTN

Old 06-30-2006, 04:42 AM
bigneeker
Pupil

I never trust expansys for release dates. They are notorious for wrong dates.
though it would be great to have these by july 17th.

Old 06-30-2006, 05:04 AM
Silver5
Intellectual

I will NOT pay for that thing at such a ridiculous price. Maybe in the low $600s or high $500s but that is too much to ask. I will be getting one eventually though. I can wait till the prices drop since it is not a significant upgrade for US users.

Old 06-30-2006, 07:40 AM
Jeff Song
Thoughts Media Review Team
Send a message via AIM to Jeff Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver5
I will NOT pay for that thing at such a ridiculous price. Maybe in the low $600s or high $500s but that is too much to ask. I will be getting one eventually though. I can wait till the prices drop since it is not a significant upgrade for US users.
I'll be getting mine through cingular. But what else do you expect for the latest and greatest in PPCphones? The universal went for what, $1000 when it was new, up to $1200 for retail? And that thing didn't even have EDGE or 850mhz. All it had was the VGA screen, and I don't think the screen is worth half of the phone's asking price.

Old 06-30-2006, 06:38 PM
Patrick Y.
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to Patrick Y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
Quote:
I'll be getting mine through cingular. But what else do you expect for the latest and greatest in PPCphones? The universal went for what, $1000 when it was new, up to $1200 for retail? And that thing didn't even have EDGE or 850mhz. All it had was the VGA screen, and I don't think the screen is worth half of the phone's asking price.
Agree... Though, I'm pretty sure you can get the phone cheaper than the stated price in taiwan...

Old 06-30-2006, 07:10 PM
Jeff Song
Thoughts Media Review Team
Send a message via AIM to Jeff Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Y.
Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
Quote:
Agree... Though, I'm pretty sure you can get the phone cheaper than the stated price in taiwan...
MMB over at Hofo and expansys will be charging 700+ when its finally out, just a guess though. If the wizard taught us anything, it's that unlocked versions of highly coveted devices come with a hefty premium - and considering how much extra the TyTN has packed into its skin, I'm making a bet it'll be 50-100 more than the wizard/9100 was when first released.

Hopefully cingular has it for <$500 when it comes out on its network.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:21 AM
JesterMania
Thinker

Since it supports W-CDMA, will this device work with Japanese phone carriers as well?

Old 07-01-2006, 12:39 AM
scoopster
Pupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterMania
Since it supports W-CDMA, will this device work with Japanese phone carriers as well?
Yes, because the TYTN/Hermes supports tri-band WCDMA/UMTS/HSDPA, it will in fact work at 2100MHz 3G in Japan......assuming either:
a) your native carrier (in this case, Chunghwa Telecom) has roaming agreements in Japan
or
b) you SIM-unlock it and install a 3G chip from DoCoMo or another WCDMA carrrier in Japan (note not all Japanese carriers use WCDMA, some use CDMA2000, which is completely different)

Old 07-01-2006, 12:55 AM
saru83
Thinker

i thought HTC was going to close or not produce PPC phones under the name Dopad again as they own more than 51% of the shares & as they r releasing the phone under there own Brand "HTC"

Any explanations?