Windows Phone Thoughts - Daily News, Views, Rants and Raves

Check out the hottest Windows Mobile devices at our Expansys store!

Digital Home Thoughts

Loading feed...

Laptop Thoughts

Loading feed...

Android Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > WINDOWS PHONE THOUGHTS > Windows Phone Articles & Resources

Old 06-15-2006, 02:00 PM
Darius Wey
Developer & Designer, News Editor Emeritus
Default CNET: HP iPAQ rw6828 Review

http://www.cnet.com.au/pdas/pdas/0,...40060785,00.htm

"HP has jumped headfirst into the O2 Xda Atom's territory, having just released its new iPAQ rw6828 smart phone. Its petite, chic design is very similar to that of the Atom, but dig deeper and you'll find that this device has much more to offer than just good looks. Part of the company's "Designed in Asia for Asia" (DIAFA) initiative, HP describes the rw6828 as a "designer" device that's been built from the ground up to "reflect the young Asian consumer's chic, minimalist style today". While we're not sure of the exact criteria that HP uses to distinguish Asian consumers -- and by Asia they're referring to the entire Asia Pacific region -- from the rest of the world, we can confirm that the rw6828 is indeed an attractive handheld."

If you're in the Asia-Pacific and considering the rw6828, or in other parts of the world and looking to import one, be sure to check out the highs and lows of the device in CNET's review. Small form factor, push e-mail, EDGE, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, infrared, and Windows Mobile 5.0: this device definitely packs some punch.

Old 06-15-2006, 04:15 PM
WorksForTurkeys
Intellectual

hmm, HP discriminates against non-Asians? Maybe they're formally release the news in the US in time for the July 4th weekend.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:05 PM
mv
Thinker

Nice... i�ll love to see it on the rest of the world... but anyway, why this guy puts as a con "Lack of keyboard makes heavy data input tedious"? I�m i the only one who thinks that writing on the screen is much much faster than using a keyboard? and remember we are talking of mini - toy - useless - keyboards, like the one on the treo. I had a treo 600 for a few weeks and data entry was painfull. Thast�s why i love the 6315 i now own.

Old 06-15-2006, 08:08 PM
Tierran
Intellectual
Send a message via ICQ to Tierran Send a message via AIM to Tierran

I want this

Old 06-15-2006, 08:51 PM
martinctv
Neophyte

No 850 MGz.

Old 06-15-2006, 10:56 PM
MitchellO
Oracle

I'd love the look of this, but the fact that the imate JAMin is cheaper, Quadband and is HTC (love their stuff!!) means that I wouldn't buy it.

Old 06-15-2006, 11:39 PM
aNiMeMaN14
Ponderer
Send a message via AIM to aNiMeMaN14

I'm still pimpin' out my i-mate Jam (HTC Magician, whatever have you). I'm almost at the two year mark, and I have no near plans of upgrading. I don't see why a lack of a keyboard is such a big fuss... in fact, keyboards on PDAs is essentially a new concept. Besides, I use the Spb Full Screen Keyboard 3.0 if I need to punch in data quickly. But I am rather impressed with this phone... it is much better than HP's first two attempts. But as MitchellO mentioned, I am a HTC man through and through myself... in fact my next PPC will definitely be from their creative minds.

Old 06-15-2006, 11:47 PM
WorksForTurkeys
Intellectual

regarding the lack of a keyboard: the device is the same size and form-factor as the Atom. no part of my body is small enough to use a full keyboard that would fit in or under an Atom case. each key would have to be the size of a piece of mini-chicklet gum (< 1 sq cm)

Old 06-15-2006, 11:53 PM
freitasm
Oracle

I played with this device while in Singapore last month and it is really neat. Compact, good size, ideal if you like Pocket PCwith no bulk - probably the same feel in size as the i-mate Jam (or little less thick actually).

Old 06-16-2006, 02:44 AM
Jeff Song
Thoughts Media Review Team
Send a message via AIM to Jeff Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorksForTurkeys
hmm, HP discriminates against non-Asians? Maybe they're formally release the news in the US in time for the July 4th weekend.
Considering that the device lacks 850mhz (something that even T-Mobile now uses, albeit for roaming purposes), I can see why we won't be seeing it over here, not because the American-based HP doesn't like anyone that isn't asian