Apple Thoughts

Loading feed...

Go Back   Thoughts Media Forums > Thoughts Media Off Topic

Old 06-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Janak Parekh
Editor Emeritus
Default NYT: A Ring Tone Meant to Fall on Deaf Ears

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/12/t...ogy/12ring.html

"In that old battle of the wills between young people and their keepers, the young have found a new weapon that could change the balance of power on the cellphone front: a ring tone that many adults cannot hear. In settings where cellphone use is forbidden � in class, for example � it is perfect for signaling the arrival of a text message without being detected by an elder of the species."

Oh dear. 8O Another annoying ringtone to add to all the rest out there -- except one that many of you might not be able to hear, as it's 16kHz, which is higher than the hearing range of many people above 30. The NYT article has a link to the ringtone (here -- in case you don't want to register or read the article). Can you hear it? I can -- it's a almost-painful high shriek -- but one of my officemates can't.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Kevin Jackson
Contributing Editor

Well, it's good to know that my hearing is still good at 35 -- at least I can hear the ringtone.

Now excuse me while I try to find some way to stop the blood flowing from my busted eardrums.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:11 PM
Rod3
Intellectual

Can't hear a thing; lost my high frequency hearing years ago. I don't miss it. 8)

You know, I don't think my dog liked that.... :lol:

Old 06-12-2006, 09:17 PM
AtTheCross
Pupil

over 40 and can hear it, but it's non-directional for me

3 of 4 people in my cube area can hear it, the person that can not hear it is >=45

Youngest of the 4 is 35

Old 06-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Jason Dunn
Executive Editor

Wow, that's an irritating sound! :evil: Though I'm pleased I can hear it, being over 30 and all. :lol:

Old 06-12-2006, 10:01 PM
Don Tolson
Thoughts Media Review Team

For those who can't 'hear it', try a good pair of headphones or speakers attached to the PC. Sometimes the speakers included in laptops, etc. don't reproduce sounds at that frequency, either!

Old 06-12-2006, 10:02 PM
rhelwig
Pupil

I'm 42 and I could hear it. There was some discomfort though.

Curiously, I can only hear it if I face directly towards it. When I turn my head a bit left or right, I can't hear it.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:04 PM
egads
Theorist

I voted no right off but after listening again with it turned up a bit more I can hear it in my left ear. My kids could not hear it so I though something was up. I turn up so high initially I thought I was going to shatter my teeth. I backed it down to where the kids could easily hear it and I was still able to hear it also (again, left ear only).

44 and can half hear it!!!

Old 06-12-2006, 10:06 PM
SteveHoward999
Pontificator

I'll be 40 in a few days, and I can hear it. Oh goodness, can I hear it! My wife doesn't believe there is any noise at all.

So if this is targetted at teenagers, how come half the respondees here who can hear it are over 30? Some even over 40. Seems like somebody miscalculeted

Old 06-12-2006, 10:47 PM
Jacob
Pontificator

I'm 31, turning 32 this year and I could hear it.

It started to give me a headache though!